1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Divorce looks imminent...suggestions please

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by underhill, Nov 21, 2014.

1. underhill

underhill New IL'ite

Hi All,

I am in US on H1B and married in India in mid 2012. We have a 1.5 yr old baby (born in US) now. My wife left to India with baby last year when he was 4 months old. It is been one year and our relationship is severely strained. She is currently on valid H4.

I have few questions
    1. Can I apply for divorce in US Court while she is in India?
    2. Who will get the custody of the baby?
    Please suggest me.

Thanks

2. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Did you plan to bring her back? Did she leave after your relationship got strained, or did the fights happen after she went to India? Did you ever try to bring her and the kid back to get a normal life together, or, was divorce your first decision?

1 person likes this.
  3. Reesha

Reesha Silver IL'ite

you can... are you indian or US born ?

if you are US born , you can put case in US. but lot of complexities are there if you put divorce case. as per indian law, baby will goes to mother care. but baby is US citizen. so there may be some different results i think.

if you are indian, why don't you think once again...for your baby purpose....because baby needs Mother & father. with out both...she will struggle a lot in india cultural society. so try to compromise or convince your wife. please don't spoil that little baby future for your's IGO problems.

4 people like this.
  4. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Rather than the usual of ask you all sorts of qns, trying to "fix" your marriage etc as some IL-ites may do, will just answer your qn -
    1. Yes, you can. I know someone who went through this. But use a lawyer and they will guide you through it.

2. Custody is trickier. Mostly the mom will get it. But its tricky and has many situational parameters, again talk to a lawyer.

3 people like this.
  5. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

they are separated for nearly a year. I am sure all the reconciling things must have been tried by the supporting family on either side. The concern here now is the process and the custody of child. Both of which are legal issues and a lawyer is the best person to help unless someone has prior experience or knowledge. I have neither and my advice would be to consult a lawyer as Ragini has mentioned.

6. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

with a marriage that is about 2 yrs old, wife pregnant soon after, is hardly out of post partum stage when she leaves for India. lots happening in such a short while.

if there is anything we have understood in the Relationships forum, it is that very often, families on either side give conflicting advice and create hostile situations and the couple never really sort things out without all the additional ego hassles and behind the scenes manipulation. the mere fact that she has been gone nearly a year does not automatically mean that all good faith attempts at reconciliation have been worked out.

i am sure any person who has made up their mind to divorce would know they need to employ a divorce lawyer and figure out their options. especially when a baby is involved. taking online advice for such a serious matter is frivolous because each situation is individual. meanwhile, IL has helpful members who may offer a fresh perspective on what seems to be an untenable issue.

4 people like this.
  7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

A lawyer will be the best source of advice, not a forum like this.
    If you file in the US, the fact that your child is a US citizen will definitely have an impact.Barring serious abuse or other factors, judges in the US tend to award joint custody.

1 person likes this.
  8. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

Dear Op,
    can you please share the reasons behind this decision of yours. We all Ilites feel sad for your baby. Maybe then we can suggest you on legal aspects. just blindly we cannot suggest. Sorry!

1 person likes this.
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP,
    You can apply for divorce in the US. Your wife can and most likely will contest that decision in an Indian court. The indian courts don't accept US court's divorce decrees. It will take years for that to be resolved. You or your representative may have to show up for court dates. There are women who may even use the section 498a for adding pressure on the spouse and family. If she does that your family can be implicated in a dowry/harassment case. It's super hard to disprove.
    Instead of all of that, I suggest you get s mutual consent divorce. Get a lawyer, come up with alimony and child support and child custody amicably and part ways. That is the better route.

7 people like this.
  10. underhill

underhill New IL'ite

Thank you all for your inputs. The main suggestions are
    1. What went wrong in the marriage?
    2. Any reconciliation efforts are made?
    3. See a divorce lawyer, US courts generally give joint custody but that can be overriden by Indian courts.
    4. 498A may be used.

i. After marriage, she got a passport and visa and joined me in two months. We came to know she is pregnant after a month. I have a strong belief that how she physically and mentally fit will reflect on the baby and taking such a good care to keep her happy both ways.

ii. She spends lot of time speaking on phone with her mother but that did not bother me as she left home for the first time and thought that is usual. She started crying during the calls and when asked she told me it is her family problems. I think that will affect the baby and ask your mother to not say things but she did not bother. One day I heard the conversation for 2 mins on other phone, in which she is saying your husband won't look after us and we should marry you to some other.

iii. In the first 3 months we have three fights one because of her constant crying while she is pregnant and other is she started saying all bad things about my family and especially mother citing somebody told these to her mother. I told her I hardly go to my home except festival holidays as I spent all of my schooling and college in far stations and I do not know anything and you should talk to my mother if it bothers you.

iv. She did not spend one day at my home after marriage. Any suggestion I said her first question is your mother said this? I stopped suggesting as I know it will make me agonized.

v. It was going on like this and her mother came to US on B2, a couple of weeks later she delivered. Her behavior is completely changed when her mother is at home and it was very hostile. She started bugging me about taking her to visiting places. One day she asked me to discuss on the matters, and while we are talking her mother intervened and started accusing my mother and that lead to a big verbal fight. Then I booked her return flight immediately, then I heard the word 'divorce' first time from my wife. She spent 3 months at home against originally planned 6 months. Later she used the word divorce couple of times, everytime I asked her to comeup with the reasons for divorce on paper.

vi. After she left, my wife did not like it and the environment still looks grim. Before marriage she said she has her PG degree. As I was planning to join here I asked her for the transcripts of her degree. Then she said she still has one subject to clear and there is one more attempt left. She left for India and before she left I asked her to learn from other women in India.

* All above is the short summary of her stay with me for 1 year 2 months. Sorry for the long post.
    This is one side, and there are happy times too as I avoided the situations where I sense it won't go good. The issues actually happened after she left to India and started living with her mother. I dig the above part only because it went wrong in the this year.

I will write about it and 2/3/4 later.
    Thank you.