1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Divorce - better in US or India?

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by newbeginning, Jun 18, 2010.

1. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

I feel women and men bounce back faster if they are divorced in US.Here there is less stigma attached to divorce than India.There being a divorcee is frowned upon and people literally stay away from you.

But in US, its just a choice that person has made and people dont dwell on it. Everybody moves on.

Also the government is very lenient on single moms giving them incentives etc .. Also the alimony, child care expenses are regulated very well and people can actually trust the legal system to protect them.

Whether married or divorce I would love to live in US only because of the broadmindedness of this society.

2. newbeginning

newbeginning Bronze IL'ite

Actually my main concern is not where I will live after Divorce...I think I should be able to handle stuff either here or there.
    My main worry is which rule is better or might be advantageous in my situation? I have known a lot of cases here might go with equal custody rights....but in India women get a upper hand.

But again if hubby goes back alone, then even with equal custodial rights...how can he meet/care for the kid...its impossible for him to do that. He might not have thought about divorce at all...he must be thinking like earlier times, he will continue to abuse and I give in types. But this time I am really done with this stuff...I dont want to live like this in fear and worry.

On the other hand if I go back and divorce in India, he might still come and bother me on weekends and stuff with the same kind of issues and troubles like now. In India, I really wont have the security system like I have here if he bothers me too much.

Too many things going on in my head as of now:( its really tough situation to be in...i Hope even my enemy is never in such a situation really:(

NB

3. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

You are not alone. The truth is enemy will never be in such dilemma or situation friends will be....

4. MahimaKarthik

MahimaKarthik New IL'ite

Hi
    sorry if I sound weird ,but have you looked upon yourself ,no one is perfect .sometimes we lose good thing sin life because of small clashes and ego .I agree you need to be treated with respect ,am with you on this .But love can work like magic ,how you throw the ball you get it back in the same manner .May be you were rude to your Dh ,and may be he is recipricating that way .Its human to react ,I feel you can take time ,rethink on your decision since I strongly feel if a woman decides she can move mountains with her faith .my suggestion is try one more time to make your marrige work with an open mind and heart and then decide if divorce is necessary and the ultimate solution in life !I know you may be right and we all have some imperfections too,Good luck to you !
    Warm regards
    Mahima Karthik

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  5. manyamanya

manyamanya New IL'ite

You are confused and confusing others, you just want to run away from your husband.
    Remember, your husband is also one parent and he too wants to share love with his kids.He might/will fight for visitation.
    Thinks about your kids future and decide where to settle after divorce.
    In fact, think again do you really need divorce?

One more question, if you runaway from your husband, what about social society, can you face them?
    If you really want independence, child support, no society problem, live in USA, but raising your kid will be issue, doing job and taking care of kid, you need to bring your parents here.
    if you want your parents, family, no fear of society then India is better.

6. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

One of the best advices seen ..Thanks Mahima...I wonder however, if we as humans would understand this statement..Love can conquer all but EGO can conquer Love....And Some prefer to live with Ego and not love...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  7. newbeginning

newbeginning Bronze IL'ite

Yeah Mahima and Tridev....its indeed a very good suggestion. But think about this...first 5 or so yrs I was like that....giving in for evetything he did and tried to be calm etc. But after that when I started raising my opinions, standing up for myself....he started treating me with more controlling, abusing attitude. And he started blaming other for my change in behavior...like my mom is teaching me all this, friends are teaching me etc. And when I say I live him and separate...he cries and makes me come back. A classic case of a abuser I guess.
    I feel in our case...we either need a temporary separation or a more permanent one...we both have lost love, trust and compassion to each other. Its a dead relationship with weeds growing on it!!! Thats doing more harm than helping 3 of us involved here I feel.
    Regards,
    NB

8. rosequeen

rosequeen Bronze IL'ite

Think I can give a couple of tips on india vs US, though my knowledge about Indian system is not very good.
    --> Child custody in US was traditionally given to women with ex taking the kids on weekends and ex used to pay maintenance to the wife who was usually not working. This arrangement was called sole physical custody. Drawback here was that ex felt cheated as he had to pay money and yet children were available only during weekend. Drawback for the women was that they could not relocate to another city.
    ->This has changed completely in the past decade or so, many courts are awarding joint physical custody and the husband can and will fight very hard to avoid paying maintenance by trying to get joint physical custody. Disadvantage with joint physical custody is that both parents must live close by and give access to children.
    ->You can also try to get your ex to give complete legal rights to you (if he is willing to do so). Advantage of this is you can do as you please with your child without consulting your ex., disadvantage is that getting maintenance is very tough in this situation.
    -> In india courts go with sole physical custody but the legal system is primitive. Usually the arrangement breaks down after a while and parties begin to do as they please.

9. rosequeen

rosequeen Bronze IL'ite

But again if hubby goes back alone, then even with equal custodial rights...how can he meet/care for the kid...its impossible for him to do that. He might not have thought about divorce at all...he must be thinking like earlier times, he will continue to abuse and I give in types. But this time I am really done with this stuff...I dont want to live like this in fear and worry.

Coming to the question of how to meet with the kids if one parent relocates, its tricky and depends on the arrangement.
    In sole custody with ex-husband paying maintenance and ex-hubby relocating, he has to pay for visiting the children on his own expense but will usually get a reduction in amount of maintenance. If wife relocates, then its her job and expense to send the kids to their father.
    In joint physical custody, its the exact same arrangement.
    If you get complete legal rights, then your ex-husband will have to foot the bill always in case of either person relocating.

10. kmeduri

kmeduri New IL'ite