Discovery centre Sharjah

Discussion in 'IL'ites in Sharjah' started by anumdas, May 14, 2008.

1. anumdas

anumdas Senior IL'ite

I wonder how many of you have seen the Discovery centre and the associated zoo. Its really worth a visit. I think it is one of my most like place. They have a history mueseum kind of builindg, then a pet zoo where the kids can feed the goats, camels and all. Then there is the most interesting wild life zone where they have good collection. I think I should not write and spoil what you are goig to find over there. Its near the Sharjah Airport. Those who have not taken their kids there, I think you should take them there.

2. Preethi Patnaik

Preethi Patnaik New IL'ite

Hi Anumdas

Welcome, thats very interesting i have heard about it but never been there - will plan a visit these summer hols with my daughter. Since you are new let me take the liberty of introducing you to the dubai ladies thread,
    http://www.IndusLadies.com/forums/indians-in-uae/23920-indians-bur-dubai-what-can-new-post.html
    We are having our meet this friday so if you are interested you can give in your details and join us too.
    This is wonderful info on places to visit, you could post it in the Directory too as a ready reference for all of us here is the link http://indusladies.com/directory/africa--middle-east-17/
    welcome once again
    preethi

3. sumitha

sumitha Senior IL'ite

Hello Anu,
    Sharjah discovery and science museum is worth visiting especially for the kids..what interested me was the animals roaming around freely in the wid life arena while we have to watch it from the glass windows of the observatory.
    Sumitha

4. daffodil

daffodil Bronze IL'ite

Hi anumdas,

Thanks for the review..

I've been wanting to check this place long back, but was not able to do so owing to time constraints.

Although now however will plan for it soon

5. Sylviaram

Sylviaram Bronze IL'ite

Hey Sumita and Anu,

I had been to the Discovery Centre in Sharjah a couple of weeks back.. I saw the science museum where they have various sections to understand motoring, television, traffic etc but I did not see any animals.. Is it in the same premises?.. Infact I asked the information counter and they said that there are no animals..

Is it in the same block? Let me know more about it, pls

Cheers!
    Sylvia

6. anumdas

anumdas Senior IL'ite

Hi Preethi
    Thank you for the informations. I was out of town for a week and was not able to check in the site. Please let me know when you have more meetins. I am definitely interested.

7. anumdas

anumdas Senior IL'ite

Hi Sylvia
    Sorry for the delayed response. I think you have visited only the science museum only. The zoo is at the arabian wild life centre which is a little more further after the discivery centre. See the link below to get the exact details.

Museums | Sharjah Commerce and Tourism Development Authority |

Hope I have clarified you query.
    Thanks
    Anu

8. Sylviaram

Sylviaram Bronze IL'ite

Hey anu,

Thanks sooooo much for the information.. My 5 year old son is a huge fan of animals and I have been looking around for places to entertain him..

Your link has all the information I need.. I will call the phone no mentioned in the link and try to visit this weekend..

We had been to the new aquarium which was opened in Sharjah..it is very nice..

Thanks again.. I wil l update you once I am done with the visit..

Cheers!
    Sylvia

9. anumdas

anumdas Senior IL'ite

Hi Sylvia

Have a nice time with your family. Meanwhile, how was the new aquarium experiene? Was it worth the visit and where is it situated?

Regards
    Anu

10. Sylviaram

Sylviaram Bronze IL'ite

Hey Anu,

We are planning to visit the animal place next week.. Will write all about it soon

The aquarium is very nice.. it takes about 30mins to see the place fully.. For now they have loads of small fishes and couple of stingrays.. I hope they add the big ones soon.. Since my son Anish is very fond of animals, especially water animals, we had a lovely time.. Its definitely worth a visit.. Its actually situated near the Sharjah Grand Hotel..

Its a good time pass for summer actually..

So, do you have any more interesting locations in mind??

Cheers!
    Sylvia