1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Disciplining toddlers.

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by peartree, Dec 19, 2012.

1. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sandhya
    Why dont you try the time out ...

2. sandhyars

sandhyars Bronze IL'ite

Isnt she too young to understand time out? I tell "amma will not pick you up now because you scratched her"... and try to run away from her.. she thinks its a game , and comes chasing me... seeing her do that melts me.. and I endup picking her...

3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sandhya, you have answered your question yourself. She gets very little time with you in the evening and she is doing all this to get your attention. I am in the same boat, in the sense that I also get to spend time with her only in the evening. However, what I do is spend every minute of that time with her.
    That will mean that my living room looks like tsunami just hit it and al sorts of things but that time is just for me and DD. Mine is 16 months now.

The days I dont spend time with her (for external reasons like visitors) she gets extremely cranky and hits herself.

Do all the work after she sleeps. what time does she sleep? Mine is asleep by 8 PM and I do every other work like cooking for next day after that.

This is the only long term fix. More than likely, she will stop it in 2 days. Not sure if its possible but this works for almost all kids. Of course, you have to be stern with her initially but stay with her and play. See if this works.

All day they are away from us...try your best to spend every minute when you are home in the evening. If you are unable to do that, involve her in what you are doing. She is missing you and that's why she is doing this to get attention.

4. MOHANAPRIYARANG

MOHANAPRIYARANG New IL'ite

Hi,
    My Lil Dumpling behaves the same way as Sandhyars..He is 1.6 yrs and has started pushing other kids and throwing the things that he have in his hands.He doesnt understand what time out is..Experienced mommies please enlighten us

5. sandhyars

sandhyars Bronze IL'ite

Thank you Rakhii,
    As you mentioned, she is missing and tries tobe with me all thru the evening. she sleeps around 10.30 - 11.00. That will be very late for me to start doing things like dinner etc.,
    Have bought some toys to keep her occupied, she likes it initially but eventually comes running towards kitchen.. I love the importance she is giving to me.. :)
    guess it will take some time for me to get adjusted to new challenges she is posing me :)
    Thanks for your kind and supporting words.

Sandhya.

6. pamchoos

pamchoos New IL'ite

thats nice its working for you. I have starting doing the same thing with my son who has just turned two and I need to be more consistent. hopefully he understand he is getting punished.

7. Vij99

Vij99 Senior IL'ite

I have been reading all posts here, thanks for the tips.

8. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Pear Tree,

I just happened to see this post today. I am going through the same phase as you mentioned. Everything some tantrum.. Take Shower no, you wanna play no, You wanna eat no, you wanna sleep no. I just never understand what she wants. I can understand she spends most of her time in day care so may be she needs me. When i give her my time still this happens.. I need to do so much work after coming home at 6 in the evening and by 8.30 at night. I try not to go beyond it as my DD will not sleep if I am not with her and put her to bed. its really exhausting.. I sometimes blame me for all this.. I have to work and my DD is not getting my time.. This is frustrating.. I dont know if this is just terrible 2's or me being a not a full time mom :(

9. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

Hi ,
    My DD of 1.5 months does the same.She cries aloud if she didnt get what she wants.Most of the time i wont bend to her demands.but sometimes this irritates and i have to let her go with her demand.since a week she started beating me and when i say its not good,she walks away from me.Iam a house wife and spend my 95percent of time with her( as i finish cooking by 7.30am) ,but she still clings to me.Not even allowing to go to loo.She wont play on her own,i should be there with her all the time.Dont know what could be the reason.Iam not having that my time for me.Hope this will also pass.:)

10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Haritha, at this age they need to start socializing. Perhaps spending ALL her time with you is the cause of such cling-gi-ness? Do you have an option of sending her to a day care for 2 hours a day or take her out to play areas where she has access to other kids? Probably that will help.

My nephew was exactly like this. Even if my SIL goes to the washroom, he used to stand outside and bang the door and start to cry until she comes out. Imagine, rushing yourself even to pee!