Disappointed after gender check u/s - how to deal with it ?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by LifeIsWhew, Mar 28, 2011.

1. LifeIsWhew

LifeIsWhew New IL'ite

@ SuccessMinded & subakutty

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

@ lotusgirl

I get it why it would strike some people the wrong way but if people read the whole post they would understand the reason this. I clearly mentioned that I did not want a boy for being there for us in oldgae or carrying our family name forward etc etc. Whether people choose to believe it or not is a different issue.

Also what I dont understand is how is it okay for someone who wanted a baby girl to be disappointed when she has a boy but the reverse is so frowed upon. I understand that gender discrimination has been going on way too long in the Indian society. However that is not always the case and it would be nice if people did not look and responded to things in a one sided way.

My parents have two daughters. Not once have we felt any discrimination or seen or heard our parents wish that they had boys. My grandparents have 5 girls. My mom and all my aunts are educated working women who take care of my grandparents till date. So I have not been raised in a household where girls are looked down upon or considered below boys.

@ billybob

I guess you are wrong. While I certainly dont blame it all on hormones with me-my expectation had nothing to do with the society or my religion. You can choose not to believe what I said. There are couple of other reasons but I do not feel comfortable sharing it here on this forum as of now.

2. anukv

anukv Bronze IL'ite

Hi Dear,

Who ever it is, it is still your child and you are her mother
    She comes out into this world expecting you both to be the best parents
    Dont feel bad that u dint have a boy. Cherish what you have and make it memorable.

3. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

OP, 'moving on' entails you doing it. There is no miraculous post or answer or solution to get over depression, sadness, shock, dissapointment etc. for anything in life. One just has to forcibly change the mind's direction of thoughts. When it goes back to the sadness and you become aware, you change it again. And again. And again.

No matter how many people tell you how they felt and how they changed how they felt, your feelings will not change. You have to change your own feeling. Your feelings won't change for your just because they are inconvenient.

I know you will say that you already know this. Still I think knowing is one thing, doing is quite another. So I think thats what the folks meant about you moving on. You first move i.e do something differently than what you are doing now.

Don't entertain the thoughts of dissapointment. Don't pamper your mind. Be brisk with it. Stop the negative train of thought. Give it something else to think about. Like the other post said, go a baby store and look at baby girl's clothes. Look at baby girl's photos. Think about baby girl's names...

When you find your mind wandering back to the negativity, again stop and distract.

You cannot do the same thing over and over again and expect that you will feel differently. YOU HAVE TO PULL YOURSELF UP BY YOUR OWN SHOELACES.

You owe your daughter to do that. She will look up to you. You will show her that life is not always what you want, but you buck up, accept it and keep on moving.

In a few years you will realize she is exactly what you need. But since you are not there yet, start with the first step in that direction. MOVE and CHANGE.

God bless your lovely lil girl!

4. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

lifeiswhew..
    i totally get it... thats why i was frank in sharing my experience.. i think what you felt and what i felt can be reacted upon as the same , but unfortunately the social conditioning is such that the person who utters preference to a boy is frowned upon...
    i do hope hearing about similar situations helps you relaise you can indeed come out of it & enjoy being the mum to a child of different sex too just as much you imagined it would be with the one you thought it would be. atleast i realised that after a few days of knowing what i was expecting.. no regrets now at all and as i said i truly enjoy the kid i have :)

5. bajan

bajan New IL'ite

Hi LifeisWhew, I certainly understand how you feel. But now is the time to move on girl. Perhaps some introspection might help. Why don't you write down the reasons that made you think (I am deliberately avoiding the word 'prefer' here) that it was going to be a boy. Then ask yourself how can you be so sure that those things would end up being true when he comes to this world. For example, something like this - I'd like a boy because he will be less dependent on you as a teenager whereas as a girl you have to give more care like dropping off and picking up from school, tuitions etc. Then play devils advocate - perhaps the boy can be very shy, (I've known many boys like that) or won't return home in time. Your girl might be very bold and she might have a set of friends whom she will go to school with.

I know these examples can be farfetched but guess you get the idea. Do some introspection and counter argue for every reason you can think of. Ultimately, you will realise that your assumption was founded on no solid reasoning and will give you the strength to move on.
    Also, think about things that can go worse (touch wood : having an unhealthy baby etc that could alter your normalcy in life). This will put you back in perspective and help you appreciate what you have now.

Just pray for a lovely little girl to be born healthy. I am also expecting - perhaps you should also join the Aug 2011 mommies club :)

Cheers.

6. billybob

billybob Gold IL'ite

If this is our own view not influenced by society no one can help you, it may be insulting to women who have daughters and your own child and probably your mother as well. regarding your spouse you are more worried about him than your child.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  7. LifeIsWhew

LifeIsWhew New IL'ite

@ lotusgirl

Thanks. I know its easier for people who have experienced it to relate to it than others. Yes- hearing from others who have been there really helped me a lot as much as pouring my heart out here. It felt good to vent and hear neutral opinions :).

I have already gotten over it now. Initially I was confused by my reaction and was wondering if I this feeling would ever go way. And when some of the members said they got over it with a few days or months I was skeptical but they were right. All I had to do is give it time. Shopping for baby stuff also helped :)

Thanks once again.

@ bajan

Appreciate your response. I thought about what you said and I really have no valid reason for wanting a baby boy. You are absolutely right when you say that my assumption was based on no solid reasoning. Like I said - I wasn't 'hoping' for a boy I was just 'expecting' it.

Looking back, I got too worked up over nothing and I just had to give it some time. I am not looking at the negatives of having a boy but just looking at all the positives of being parents to a little girl.

Thank you.

@ billybob

Gosh !!! Are you serious ??? How is it insulting to my women in general, my mom or my unborn child? Just cos I expected to have a boy. Did I anywhere in my post mention that I DID NOT WANT A BABY GIRL. Would it be insulting to men, my dad or my husband if i had wished for the opposite. Really ???

As far as me being more worried about my spouse than my baby, either my communication skills are pretty bad or you misunderstood what I wrote. How does saying I am unsure if my husband will know how to handle a baby girl show that I am worried about him more than anyone? If anything it says I am worried about my child.

8. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Lifeiswhew,

I see people have been comforting you for long enough.Maybe you don't need any comforting. So I am going to be blunt enough...If I was your daughter ,then I would find it insulting that once upon a time my mother was "expecting " a boy and I came.Instead of welcoming me with open arms..she feels shocked?disappointed?

I can only feel pity that an educated woman like you feels bad for so many days. It is but natural that a parent has gender preference and if the reverse happens,it may disappoint us.But this kind of prolonged behavior is definitely insulting to your to be born baby.

For the record..it is the same for any gender.How can you just assume that it is a boy...you can really hope for one.And if it is not,you may be sad for the first couple of days..but then it is after all your child!!I would not have commented because so many have already written what I wanted to say..but for the fact that you still feel it is not insulting to your baby,I have written this.You may refute the fact..but that's true.

9. Saumyamom

Saumyamom Silver IL'ite

My husband desperately wanted a kid so much so tht he started pestering me for kids 1 month after our marriage (arranged marriage :didnt even know each other before marriage ) ..Initially I resisted but then i gave in and in 3 months of marriage i was pregnant ,whenever we used to talk about the kid we woulkd address 'him' as a boy and had thought of a name too,then we went for u/s and we found it was a girl ,I was a little disappointed because like you i had also made my imaginary world around having a boy ..but when she was born and i held her she was the most precious and beautiful thing that i ever held in my life ,Two years go by and I concieve again,had a boy this time ,but I have to admit that although he is the most cute and handsome thing in the world (he is 9 months old) ,the rush of emotions that I felt (still feel) for my daughter go unsurpassed.:hide:,whenever i dress up she tells me i am looking nice ,when i cook something nice she says its yummy ,when i get hurt she cries ..She is my life ,my sweetheart...

10. LifeIsWhew

LifeIsWhew New IL'ite

Yes it was my msitake that I just assumed something. How I can do that - even I dont know. And I absolutely do not feel like I am insulting my child cos if you read my posts after that I said I am already feeling better.

I wrote what I was feeling initially, I wanted to see and found it comforting that I was not alone and there are people who have been in the same boat, felt encouraged by their words and got over my feelings. I keep posting in this thread cos it was started by me and I want to tell people who responded that with them sharing their experience with me really meant a lot to me.

When I was upset initially I felt so guilty about feeling the way I did for my baby girl. But now I feel completely different and if you still want to be critical of me based on my first post them so be it. I do not in any way see that as rejecting my child or insulting her.