Different breakfast ideas please

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by radhusankar, May 20, 2010.

1. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Very interesting list ladies.
    Here are some from me:

1) Couscous with stir fried mixed vegetables - its just like making upma
    2) Bread with rava toast - my friend made these last time I met her.
    3) Left over gravy paratha - again got this from a friend - just mash what ever gravy you have from the previous night and add atta to it. Make a dough and make thick parathas. They are amazing to eat in the morning. And works best for kids who don't like to eat veggies on the side.
    4) Rava Kichdi - my all time favourite
    5) Adai and podi
    6) Rava Idli - home made also very easy. Just fry the ingredients and keep aside. Mix the curd in the morning and make the idlies.

2. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Bread with rava toast
    You'll need a loaf of bread -medium slices - brown or white, what ever you need

Mix to a thick, spreadable batter:
    Rava - 1.5 - use fine rave. But if you have the regular one, that will also do.
    Curd - 1 cup (add more or less to get the consistency)
    Salt/pepper to taste
    Red chili powder - 1/4 tspn
    Green chilies - 1 or 2 (as per taste) - finely chopped
    Turmeric - a pinch
    Onion 1, tomato 1, capsicum 1/2, grated carrot 1 - all chopped fine
    Coriander leaves - a small bunch - chopped fine
    Lemon juice 1 spoon - optional

In a tava, smear oil or butter and toast one side of a slice of bread. While that is toasting, smear the other side with the batter prepared. Now, drizzle some oil on this batter smeared side and flip it over. Make sure when preparing the batter that its not runny. It has to be thick enough to stick to the bread.
    Add more oil or butter to toast the sides. Leave it on the tava on medium flame for about a 40 to 50 seconds and toss over once the rava has cooked. It will turn golden brown and go flat like cooked cheese.

It goes with curd or ketchup.

2 people like this.
  3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Tanoshi...
    It sounds like an yummy one I will try it thanks for the recipe...one more thing my friend used to do it with besan instead of rava + curds...

4. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Quick Dosa is in my menu:-

Mix equal quantity of Rice flour, Maida, Wheat flour add salt and water mix to a dosa consistency and a different taste dosa is ready with no waiting time, all timer when you are run out stock of groceries or just arrived after a journey it helps handy needs no preparation.

Even when you have less of dosa batter but sudden guests drop in add wheat flour and maida, can treat your guests with crispy dosa by adding little sooji (rava) and you get the quantity.

Hope it suits your taste bud once in a while. Enjoy!!!

5. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Besan sounds good too...thanks dear..will try it some time.

6. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Radhu,
    you can make bread upma/poha upma
    vada pav..
    dhal dosai with any chutney
    Oats Idli/oats pongal also tasty one

7. vasudhas

vasudhas New IL'ite

I make vegetable daliya( porridge I think), every one loves it in my family
    Recipe
    Put little ghee in the pressure cooker and add 1 katori daliya( serves 4) and in slow flame, stir till daliya turns light brown( it should not burn, so stir continuously and it will change the color in 2-3 min) add pre cut( small pieces) vegetables like carrot, onion,garlic, tomato( without the seeds), peas and water( just enough it covers the daliya.) Now close the lid and in medium flame, let 2-3 whistles come. once the steam comes out, open the lid. And see that daliya is cooked and not raw.
    Serve with chutney. Its very healthy and a good option if kids and husband dislike daliya with milk:rotfl

1 person likes this.
  8. raki

raki Silver IL'ite

Hi

u can try akki rotti ( rice flour+rava+onion+chilli+jeera....u have to mix the bater such that it is not too watery. you should not pour the batter on tava. you have to place a small portion of batter on tava and spread it on the tava using ur hand).

Ragi rotti also same technique..replace rice flour with ragi flour and may skip rava.other ingredients remain same.

u can also try bisibelebath and aslo mtr vangibath.

1 person likes this.
  9. poonam1975

poonam1975 New IL'ite

dear all
    i belong to the eastern UP state and we at times prepare a dish called 'ghughri' for breakfast.Dont know how many of u wud like it.its made out of green peas.its mostly had in winters.
    method:
    heat a bit of vegetable oil in a fry pan.Add some cumin seeds,green/red chilli and some onions(cut length-wise).Fry the onions till light brown.Add green peas(frozen/fresh).
    Add salt,jeera powder and about half a cup of water .close the lid till the green peas is cooked.Sprinke hara dhaniya and serve hot .

1 person likes this.
  10. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Poonam...
    Welcome to IL....Gughri sounds very interesting thank You dear for sharing