1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Diets & Nutrition

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Eljaype, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

The main components of a basic healthy diet are: proteins, fats, carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins and fibre. Most whole food contain many nutrients in varying proportions, so a variety of foods will give you a good balance. To eat well and feel healthy, choose whole, fresh or carefully processed foods, and favour those of vegetable origin.
    We need all these nutrients, i.e.. energy, proteins, vitamins, minerals in different amounts to grow, live and thrive. Since we derive all the nutrients we need through the diet we eat, our diets must be well balanced to provide all the nutrients in proper proportions. In planning a diet for the community, foods have to be chosen in proper amounts to provide all the nutrients in required amounts and also keeping in view the dietary habits and availability of foods.
    We have lots and lots of choices in the food we eat. A variety of whole cereal grains, whole grams and beans of different colours , lentils, chikpeas, fruits and vegetables of different shapes and colours, like tubers, stems, leave, flowers gives us variety andd lots of choice . Lots of herbs are also there to help us flavour our daily intake to make it tasty and enjoyable. herbs add taste and sensuality to our vegetables and fruits.

If you like meat, use it as an interesting, flavourful addition, feasting on it occasionally. If you eat a diet based on whole foods, thoughtfully prepared, you will almost certainly receive all the goodness you need and the best combination of nutrients. There is no need for nutritional supplements. In fact all most people need is good food and not bad food plus pills. Avoid dietary supplements as daily food. Select your menu properly and decide on a balanced meal, which will help you to cover all the nutrients.

1. Eat plenty of fiber, pulses, whole grains, foods made with wholegrain flour (such as wholegrain bread), and fruit and vegetables give you the benefit of fiber as well as its associated essential fatty acids, minerals, and vitamins. Grains are better only coarsely ground.

2. Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, especially green leafy ones. These give you the vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids and fibre you need. Peel the fruit as little as possible (peel and pith are nutrient rich). Cook vegetables lightly by steaming or stir frying, and eat some raw everyday to benefit from their hormones and enzymes

3. Cut down your fat intake ( especially saturated fat ). Choose fish, offal (organ meat), game, poultry, whole grains, pulses, nuts and seeds, or sprouted seeds, rather than red meat and cheese.

4. Cut down your sugar intake. Use sugar as flavoring rather than as a food. Avoid cakes, sweets, chocolates, biscuits, puddings, ice-creams, jam, fruits canned in syrup, soft drinks, sugar in tea and coffee, and milk shakes.

5. Cut down your salt intake. Instead of adding salt to your food use herbs, spices, fresh ginger, horseradish, lemon juice, tomato puree, vinegar, soy sauce, vegetable stock, yeast extract, chutney, and other flavorings. Always remember the processed food like sauce etc have salt already added as a preservative.

6. Cut down your salt intake. Instead of adding salt to your food use herbs, spices, fresh ginger, horse radish, lemon juice, tomato puree, vinegar, soy sauce, vegetable stock, yeast extract, chutney, and other flavourings.

7. Drink only moderate amounts of alcohol. Infact this can be prevented. Prevention is always better than cure. Once the bad habits developed, it becomes very hard to comeout of them.

8. If you are overweight, exercise more and consume the amount of food and drink that will enable you to reach your optimal body weight but you have to maintain that weight. Maintaining the weight is also difficult if not more difficult than losing weight.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Yet another great and informative article and the most important subject..I think..All the points are worth their weight in GOLD..I am proud to say that I am implementing them in my day to day life for myself and family..It does make a big difference I should say..Thanks again for sharing..looking out for more..

3. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Chitra, As usual you are the one who is coming out with the first feedback and encouraging me.
    It is nice to hear that you are implementing all these. It does make a difference, I have seen it in my life. There is no need for going to the gym to maintain and lose weight.
    We can lose weight and maintain at home itself, if we can look out on our menu and diet at home. That is my view point.
    Thanks a lot for the same.
    I shall try to come out with more and more of this type.

4. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mr. Rao,

I had been to your blog and left a message there. It has a nice collection of articles and also some titbits about health and nutrition.
    If you don't mind, will you please add ' l ' to the word textiles in the link you had given.
    Thank you very much for peeping in