1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Did anybody face problems taking up Indian Groceries from India?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sssaustin, May 4, 2008.

1. sssaustin

sssaustin Senior IL'ite

I was recently told that someone experienced problems at the International port of entry carrying up Dhals and stuff from India...and ended up giving them...

Anybody faced such probs recently during their return journey from India?

pls Share..

2. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi
    Even my inlaws faced the same situation when they landed here last week..But luckily all the food stuff were returned to them..But the authorities warned them and told them that wud be fined $500 by the FDA in future ..They ransacked all the suitacses and asked them why they were lying abt the foodstuff..But they didnt throw any foodstuff in the trash
    I think they are strict due to the recentfood shortage all ove rthe world..

3. ramyaganesh

ramyaganesh Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Even i heard the same news.. now they are not allowing any kind of food stuff in the luggage. one of my friend while travelling, she have to leave everything in airport.

regards,
    ramyaganesh.

4. Revathi

Revathi Senior IL'ite

I dont know the recent trend,after the global food shortage.but I usually brought all type of powders,flours and splited dhalls.When we came through Chicago last time,a co-passenger's stuffs like curry leaves,mustured seeds and methi seeds were thrown away and they got severe warnings:shock:,even the officials brought sniffer dog to that place and made a big scene.so better avoid bringing groceries in the form of seeds and dhalls atleast for some time.

5. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

This must be a new thing. My husband just came back from India in early april and had no problems in either india or us customs with food in the luggage. He had close to 8kgs of toor daal, some masalas, haldiraam snacks and panna paste and fresh samosas as well.

The only thing he did different was packed the stuff very well in ziploc bags so there was no smell.

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Well,the rules have always been there that no food stuff/agricultural stuff should be carried in luggages.Our people can never follow rules.Why?

Why do we have to carry all these when these are anyway available here?

7. sssaustin

sssaustin Senior IL'ite

Thanx Ladies...

Actually when I landed here last,07 feb...I went thru the checking procedures...but did not throw anything away...

But one of my friends had this experience lately...

So all i want to know is...if this is illegal and if so where can we find the law or rule..

i had been doing this for more many yrs and did not face any probs so far...

I just want to make sure if any rules have changed recently due to global food shortage..

8. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

My Bil and Co-sister has come today morning only. They didn't face any problem here.

In India while checkin they asked to take away rangoli powder, some pooja related powder thats it.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  9. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

10. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

My friend came from India 2 weeks back and brought some Indian groceries and curry leaves. She didn't faced any problems.

Anyway thanks for ur informations on this. I heard from people, that some even brought dried fish from India.Everyone knows how it smells,but even they pack up those things in suitcase and bring here.

Let everyone know abt the rule.

Cheers,
    Pinky.