dhyana slokams - meaning

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by csyde, Jan 4, 2010.

1. csyde

csyde Silver IL'ite

Hello,

I am very much interested in finding out the meaning of the dhyana slokams which appear before many of the ashtottara sata nama stotrams.
    It starts with the heading "dhyanam".

Hope i am clear...

I feel that the understanding of the dhyana slokam helps us in visualising the god....

I request everybody to post the meanings of the dhyana slokams for the dieties you know.

Thanking you all in advance.

2. anvimom

anvimom Senior IL'ite

I go to yoga and usually there they recite the below ganesha slokha. I reached on the net and got the meaning of this sloka.

DHYANA SLOKAS

Gajananam Bhutagaanadi Sevitam
    Kapittha Jambu Phala Saara Bhak****am
    Uma Sutam Shokavinaasha Kaaranam
    Namaami Vigneshvara Paada Pankajam
    I prostrate myself before the lotus feet of Vigneshvara (Ganesha), the son of Uma, who destroys sorrow, who is served by the host of angels, who has the face of an elephant, who partakes of the essence of kapittha and jambu fruits.
    the below one i learned at school related to godess Saraswathi :

Yaa Kundendu Tushaara Haara Dhavalaa
    Yaa Shubhra Vastraavritaa
    Yaa Vina Varadanda Mantita Karaa
    Yaa Shvetaa Padmaasanaa
    Yaa Brahmaachyuta Shankara Prabhritibhi
    Devaihi Sadaa Pujitaa
    Saa Maam Paatu Saraswati Bhagavati
    Nishesha Jaadyaapahaa

May the Goddess Saraswati, who wears a garland white like the kunda-flower, the moon and the snow, who is adorned with pure white clothes, whose hands are ornamented with the vina and the gesture of blessings, who is seated on a white Lotus, who is always worshipped by Brahma, Vishnu, Siva and other gods, who is the remover of all inertness and laziness, protect me.