Dh, I & My Friend In Car - Sitting Configuration

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My childhood friend was visiting my city for her college reunion. DH and I drove 1.5 hours to pick her up from the reunion venue around 11 pm. As we waited for her to come to our car, I asked DH if I could sit in the back with "Haritha" so we could chat on the way back. He said, "Yes! Why asking."

So Haritha and I sat in the back, chatted non-stop, showing each other pictures on our phones, and some whatsapp conversations with our other childhood friends. Once or twice DH said something and once or twice I or Haritha asked him something.

All was fine but I had this niggling feeling that it was not "nice" that DH was driving us and the front passenger seat was empty. Felt like we were treating him like a "driver" with all due respect to that profession.

Am I the only one? Does anyone else feel that when a family member or friend is driving, it looks "odd" if the others sit in the backseat leaving front passenger seat empty?

Just wondering what others think. I do understand that i) it is a trivial matter ii) everyone's opinion will vary and iii) all will decide based on their situation. Still, it would be interesting to know what others think about it.

2. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Yes. This happened to me once. I was in my friend's town for a conference and she was newly married. I didnt know her husband personally. They picked me up from the airport and and she wanted to chat with me so we sat in the back.We did include him in conversations, but he was not a very talkative person, and only we knew the old silly stories. Once in a while I asked him questions, but seeing empty seat in front was sort of weird.

Rihana likes this.
  3. ragzz

ragzz Silver IL'ite

Rih only knows me too well :grimacing:

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

You must get a chauffeur cap (walmart has them)& a pair of white gloves, and keep it in glove compartment for just such occasions.

When you are dressed too posh for some function, and your Mr. is only so-so and casual (this happens more than we imagine it does), it is just fine to travel in separate rows in the car. It would be a gag to arrive at a function and get noticed, especially when the back-seater waited for the driver to come around and open the door.

Rihana likes this.
  5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

When my kids were little (I mean they still are but more like up to 2 years old), they always wanted mommy in the backseat with them. So, my husband was a "driver" for a long time. I did this to him recently when my cousin visited us- I mean it's hard to talk from the front seat :). I don't care unless he has a problem with the arrangement (I am sure he is delighted that he doesn't have to participate in my non-stop talking).

Rihana likes this.
  6. Rihana

Yeah, it is a hard to define weird! The driver is part of the conversation but still not really.

Maybe, if all the people know each other very well, the seating arrangement won't hamper conversation and all will be talking equally with the driver using the rear-view mirror to make eye-contact. : )

Angela123 likes this.
  7. Rihana

LOL. Only you can be so delightfully naughty.

Wonder why you know that Walmart carries chauffeur caps. :smile:

8. Rihana

This notion -- that my DH is delighted at not having to hear my non-stop chatter did cross my mind. : )

I should stop feeling bad about it after the years of chauffeuring my kids and their friends around when they were too young for the front seat!

9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Child used that (and white gloves too) to chauffeur parents.

Rihana likes this.
  10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

:roflmao:You made the child wear a cap and gloves....:rolleyes:

I have often taken the back seat with a friend when we pick up a friend for party ,whose husband is out of station .
    The front passenger seat is taken by flowers or gifts if we are taking some.

Husband doesn't seem to care much about it.