Devising A Plan For Next 15 Yrs Is Important Or Not.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by wish4miracle, Apr 29, 2024.

1. wish4miracle

wish4miracle Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I recently moved to US. My kid is in elementary. My husband and I want to settle down in a place and have a stable environment for our kid and ourselves. But this visa issues(long wait for gc), kid being born in India are making us to reconsider US as a place to stay for long term. But our friends (esp close to him who have been min 6 to 10 yrs) are saying that we are overthinking and we cannot plan on anything that happens beyond 5 yrs after hearing our other options. I understand they suggest a plan that seems good for us from their point of view. Decision will be ours. But i am kind of surprised abt the point that they say is you can plan only for next 5 yrs and not more than that. Anything can happen on the way so planning for long term is not wise. I would like to know your views as well.

anika987 likes this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

For things like long wait for GC, I agree more with you. It is important to have some tentative plans for 10-15 yrs. Those are not written in stone but it is good to have some plans and modify them as time progresses. I guess it depends on how much uncertainty each person can handle. Some people are fine only having plans for the next 5 yrs.

wish4miracle likes this.
  3. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Since there are lot of unknown factors keep base plan and alternative plan . That way you are not building expectations

wish4miracle likes this.
  4. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

kid is elementry. i misread. how old. so 8 or 10 more years to college. is your GC started. if your GC labor date is a after 2020. expect another 10 yrs to get some close decisions.

so kid will be treated as foreign applicatant. make sure you have good money for college. for perm residents instate fees is around 4 yrs for CS is 130 to 140 k. Expect around 180k at today date.

rest i cannot comment on your wish for home . it is not bad or not good to comment now a days. every part of usa is bit different. no such thing as job security, even for perm residents. but it is good life, bit slow than india :) . it used to be opposite.

wish4miracle likes this.
  5. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

OP your friends are right. things change, your mind will also change after some time. Many people when they are new they plan to go back to India. But after some time they see good things about living abroad and change mind. Green card process can also change. You can think and plan what you like but don't take anxiety about future. Everything will fall in place.

anika987 and wish4miracle like this.
  6. wish4miracle

wish4miracle Gold IL'ite

@Rihana and @mangai I am in the same page as you. I usually plan things. I think having a plan would help me get things done more effectively, at least for most of the time. I can achieve at least some of it. Yes I agree both base and alternative for such crucial decision.

Our friends do add that its completely unnecessary thinking for next 15 yrs, calling the situation same for them as anyone could back to India due to job crisis or if any new laws enforced for immigrants. They have US born kids and are here for 6 to 11 yrs and all have got EAD long back waiting for GC.

That looked too hypothetical for me. I wanted to have a decent plan at least for my daughter.
    Money for college & her visa status are two main things I am considering.

Thanks for your insights. Please do share if there is any resource to learn about school system/US college education that helps Indian born kids.

7. wish4miracle

wish4miracle Gold IL'ite

She is in grade 1. We have not applied even for PERM. my husband's new employer had said that it will take another year to initiate the process.

Our friends say we would need 15 to 20 K annually with instate tuition fee. Does this depends on the state I am living in?

Work/life balance is so admirable in the US. In India, we worked like 12 hours and suffered severe health issues. So I am with the US on this point.

8. wish4miracle

wish4miracle Gold IL'ite

We are in late 30s and that's the reason for little anxiety. Just trying to give best for the kid. And going back to India is not the only option I am considering right now. Since almost all of my close relatives have moved out of India/planning to move out, I don't have to settle back in India. That will be my last option. I am thinking about other countries who do not have much visa issues or can foresee a stable environment for us.

But I really appreciate where we are now, US has definitely brought some peace in our life, esp with work and financial confidence.
    If we couldn't find out any other option, US would still be our option to settle down before India.

9. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Your friends are right.
    I decided to go back to India for good 2 years after I came to the US..and now it has been 20 years.

wish4miracle likes this.
  10. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

Rutgers NJ 2024
    upload_2024-4-30_19-41-39.png

wish4miracle likes this.