1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Development with a Human Face

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Feb 27, 2010.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

@ sowmya

This was a thoughtful response to my wayward ideas. You have opened up the entire Pandora's Box of problems that have at last begun to bother people such as us, who have led a protected life in an economically unprotected country.

Every now and then, you do come across counter-examples of the sort you mentioned, the maid's son, the liqour addicts turning into chauffeurs. They bring us a glimmer of hope, that strives to survive in the middle of the gloom. But, it is the gloom and the darkness that still dominates. How sad!

Adult education is a wonderful idea. After reading you, I have started to ask myself if Kerala's success in education could be partly due to programmes that involved adults too. On the other hand, the absence of upward mobility part has more than a grain of truth in it. The underprevileged know only too well that the maid's son will remain a maid's son and his son a maid's grandson. "What's the point?" they must surely be thinking. All these concerns for the poor are merely ploys to deceive them.

Let's leave the government out, politicians are well-known for their corruption anyway. But look at ourselves. In the city of Kolkata, I know of few middle-class inhabitants who would agree to give a weekly day off to the maid. And she, being a part of the unorganized sector, has no say in the matter. When she grows old and infirm, few of her former employers would even dream of offering her a pension! When the pay commissions bring us a bonanza, few are willing to share even a dismal penny with the wretched men and women whom they employ. There are exceptions I know. Not many though.

Out of an estimated work force of 400 million plus, only 7-8 per cent belong to the organized sector. For the rest, there are few rules. No letter of appointment, no leave benefits, no medical leave, no maternity leave, no social security, no nothing!!! And, to keep the lip service alive, the Central Budget has allotted a sum of 1K crores this year towards building up a social security fund for the unorganized sector. Ha!! Clap, clap. Great progress in India, 60 years after independence.

I criticise, but what do I do myself? A little may be, but precious little really. I go and lecture in air-conditioned auditoriums, the least I need to keep my brain healthy and functioning.

I could go on and on. But you know that I know that you know that I know ... that we know little. Sometimes I wonder if I am anything more than a sighing and groaning Mock Turtle. I enjoy speaking about dreams, but only when I am dozing.

Let me end by telling you one more time that you have talent. Having been a teacher all my life, it's not too hard for me to recognize exceptions. Of course, I have not read everyone who writes here, though I have read many. Most of them are very good. But Lakshmi (TL) and you are a lot "gooder" than all the rest of us. And now Cheeniya informs me that ShailRaghuvansh is yet another addition to the growing army of talent. I know she has at least one post up on the site. I have given it a quick look. I will look again when I find the time and follow her work seriously.

My precommitments will prevent me from contributing too much for a while. However, if I am able to deliver on time, I should be a more regular visitor at IL starting August or so. In the meantime, I will keep a watch over TL and you (as well as SR) during my infrequent visits. I know none of you will disappoint me.

Writing back to you is not an easy task. You made me sweat! :wink:

oj

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. ojaantrik

@ shail

Hi! Bhalo aachhi, tumi bhalo to?

I received your friendship request and accepted it with thanks. Cheeniya has already drawn my attention to your work. I did visit one of your posts and will visit again to give it a more serious reading. I have found myself in a bit of a mess time wise, or else I would have written earlier. But your post is one to which one cannot respond casually.

Will be back and thanks again for your friendship.

oj-da

3. ShailRaghuvansh

ShailRaghuvansh Silver IL'ite

Dear OJ Da,

Hi! Aami Bhaalo Aachi. Dhonyavaad.

So nice of you to respond. I was looking forward to your reply.

I understand that you are busy in a host of activities so I won't mind for the delay.

In the meanwhile, (since I know you are busy but will have time eventually to check this thread of yours out sometime), I wish to draw your attention to another blog that I posted on International Woman's Day. http://www.indusladies.com/forums/snippets-of-life-non-fiction/88099-why-we-disrobing-draupadi-even.html#post1095882

Hope you like it.

See you soon OJ Da.:wave

4. ojaantrik

@ shail

Thanks friend. I did end up reading your posts and commenting on them. I enjoyed reading them.

oj-da