1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Details About Medicare/nursing Assistance At Home

Discussion in 'Indians in California' started by sarvantaryamini, Oct 18, 2021.

1. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

I had a question regarding medicare options in the US/California. If parents are in India and their child is a US Citizen (has proper citizenship), the child (a grown up) can sponsor their green cards. How long does it take for them to become eligible for medicare (both are above 65 yrs), after they get their green cards? I was googling and I saw there is a late fees for applying for medicare if it is after 65, is that true? Some more details, one of them is bedridden. I came to know after discussion with an acquaintance that the medically sick parent can get physiotherapy treatment using medicare, but charges for a nurse have to be paid out of pocket. Is there no way for that to be covered by medicare or state assistance? Also, assuming that the child is willing to pay out of pocket, is it possible to have a nurse who will stay for say 10 hrs straight at home to assist? The parent needs full day and night assistance - so I am guessing 2 nurses will be needed. Is it possible to find a nurse for the night time in California? What are the options available? I am assuming it is going to be fairly expensive, I just want to make sure I am not assuming things. Providing information or any pointers on where I can look up/ask for details would be very helpful. Thank you.

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. sarvantaryamini

Does no one have experience in this ?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Hi .
    To qualify for Medicare for permanent residents, a person must be a U.S. citizen, or legal permanent resident who is past their 65th birthday. Additionally, the person or their spouse must have worked in the U.S. and paid Medicare taxes for minimum 40 quarters.

If they are a recent green card holder and haven't worked in the U.S., they will not immediately qualify for Medicare health insurance.
    Therapy and any medical treatments are expensive in usa.
    Nursing services.
    There is a shortage of nurses/cna generally. So the hours required may not be available.

It may not be prudent to bring them to usa at old age

sarvantaryamini and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

New immigrants in the US, such as the relatives or elderly parents of US residents or citizens can purchase health insurance plans under the new US healthcare marketplace – known as the Affordable Care Act (ACA) or Obama Care.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Green card holders in California are eligible for Medi-Cal. You can also buy an Obamacare policy but it might be expensive. Unless insurance is paying home health care is also very expensive. Minimum wage is $13-14 per hour. Night nurses will charge a premium.

6. sarvantaryamini

Thank you @chanchitra, at this point the immediate concern is nurses, will they be available at all? Someone told me it may cost 20-24$ minimum per hour. In the past a few people mentioned state assistance, but will they come at night times or at a stretch during day time? I have my doubts on that part. I don't know where I can enquire such details for a definite answer.

7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You can get anyone to come provided you pay enough. Night nurses will cost a premium unless you hire under the table.

sarvantaryamini likes this.
  8. sarvantaryamini

Thank you @MalStrom, as mentioned, is it 13-14$ per hour? I feel it maybe more.

9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You will need to inquire. I mentioned the minimum wage for California but I don’t know what they actually charge. The kind of 24:7 shift-system nursing care available in India is generally not used by people without insurance in the US unless they are very wealthy. Even with insurance there are limits for coverage.

sarvantaryamini likes this.
  10. sarvantaryamini

True.