Delhi University Admission

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares in Delhi' started by sushmasrivastav, May 26, 2009.

1. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

As a teacher in a Government girls school in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:City>, I am saddened to find that many of my students are not able to get admission in the leading colleges of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>. They are simply crowded out by outstation students who carry inflated marks and corner seats.

I agree that <st1:City w:st="on">Delhi</st1:City> being the capital city of <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> has to shoulder a burden for students coming in from states lacking in educational infrastructure. Yet I strongly believe that <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> students should not be crowded out.

I strongly believe that a certain percentage of seats should be reserved for <st1:City w:st="on">Delhi</st1:City> students with the rest of the seats being open for both <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> and outstation students. I would like my fellow ILites to contribute their thought on the matter.

2. nutangill

nutangill New IL'ite

Hi Sushma
    I largely agree with what you say. My parents stay in Delhi and I had my education there.
    There was an article in the Hindustan Times a few days back - there could be reservation in colleges funded by the Govt of Delhi.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  3. menila01

menila01 Senior IL'ite

I too totally agree with you about this, As it is getting tougher now-a-days for the delhites to get admission and outsiders are sited more. The admission process will be on the go from now, It would be really nice if such rules are implimented soon. Thank you for this post.

4. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sushma
    I must thank you for highlighting this issue. You see, students passing out of Delhi schools have certain academic standards and are subject to the vagaries of CBSE marking scheme. However, students from some of the state boards score high marks because of the liberal marking scheme of their states. They also submit fake mark sheets. All this tends to crowd out Delhi students from good courses.
    One reason why CATE was announced for BA English Hons was the need to filter out only genuine students with a feel and knowledge of the subject.