1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

" Deepavali " - Looney tunes .

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Manjureddy, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Welcome Kamla !
    Glad to know there are many nut cases like me and hubby, voraciously devouring anything celluloid !
    Yes, saw Vivah too. A movie made for that wonderful subspecies called Teenyboppers/ Bubblegummers. Cho-Chweet ! Dont have the heart to analyse it . Neither enjoyed it nor yawned through it, though hubby started snoring midway. Yes I liked Shahid too, and the girl ( Amrita) has the kind of looks to fit the role perfectly. And did you notice, the "look" of the movie was so luminiscent and airy !

So Kamla, tell us about movie watching experience where you live. Theatres or DVD ?

Manjula

2. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Dear Manju, Sudha & Kamla,

I'm joining in toooo. so, you guys are cozying up at the other end of IL discussing movies, haan??? Interesting reviews grabbed my attention toooo.

I did waatch Guru - it's more a maniratnam than a Abhi-Ash movie. you can feel Mani in each frame.
    Last night, watched, Meryl Streep movie, Music of the Heart.. Did you know MS learnt violin for this movie (for 6 months, 6 hrs a day, learning violin isn't easy).
    their's is the most toughest job, I feel. I just like watching her - her expressions & her very sweet smile, she looks good.

Did you guys watch Devil wears Prada???? I liked MS in that movie - portraying her a very powerful woman in fashion and her very soft, "THAT'S ALL", at the end of every phrase. just perfect. she's even nominated for the best actress at the oscars.

then another movie which I liked, THE ILLUSIONIST.. taht was soemthing different - there's magic, romance, mystery all in right proportions. It's all about a magician who uses his magical power to secure the love of a woman far above his social status. another reason for my liking this movie - illusionist is from Vienna, Austria. one of my favorite place & also the first place (outside India) I got to see. the most romantic place I would say. may not be the usual magical, neat, movie - but surely compelling.

Do you watch oscars??? I'm more interested in the designer clothes (all world labels) that the stars wear.

I'm also looking forward to see Eklavya - everyone's talkin about this movie. I'm eager to see Saif's role & the beautiful Vidya Balan. shall wait for your reviews as of now........

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hello girls...

Weekend is here again. So what movies have been lined up for this weekend? As for me, friends have made plans to watch Ekalavya. I am taking care not to read too much about the movie on the net and avoid spoilers. I heard that it is good, shall let you know my views after seeing it.

Sudha, how do you manage to download such new Tamil movies? Hey, send me the details of that per email. Would love to catch up on the Tamil scene.

Manju, if one wants to, one can watch any number of movies of all the regional languages here in the US. Unfortunately, I am alone in my enthusiasm for Indian movies in my house:( Hubby refuses to watch Hindi movies and I refuse to watch his Sci -fi stuff!! If it is good, he occassionally watches a Tamil or Telugu movie with me. Where we live, it is easier to watch Hindi movies as the latest ones are released (one per week) at a nearby movie theater. And that is where I have been seeing my recent Hindi movies. For the full fare, one has to drive at least an hour or so where you come to this little township which could be India:)) I think all the Hindi movies and even the regional languages are screened there. I have Never been there as of now and have never felt the need to either. There are two video and dvd rentals close by and for two dollars, one can borrow any movie..Hindi, Tamil, Telugu etc. But the prints may be hazy and blurred! One has to take a chance and I don't do that so often:)

Meena, looks like you are in the US and I am in India. You are rolling out the names of all the latest Hollywood flicks and here I am, counting the Indian ones!! It happens:) I watched 'Devil wears Prada' and it was good, though not very good! But I love Meryl Streep and I do hope she wins in the forthcoming Oscars.
    Let us hope our folks win something for Water too.

L, Kamla

4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Meena,Kamala,

I too saw Devil wears Prada, was good na....., meryl Streep is a great actress. I saw one more, she was a psychiatrist , i forget the name, some Couch something...was good too!
    will try to get hold of Illusionist...sounds good....
    Kamala, will send u the sites....in fact i found it here in IL i think first.....
    Weekend is busy with family and dance classes on sunday, so actually working weekend,...thats why i am free on the weekdays....:wink: , anyway, its good to catch up with movies and actresses and of DRESSES!:yes: So lets keep going!

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Sudha......what are you talking about??? Keep up with actresses and dresses????...WHAT dresses?...These days, I feel actresses do not wear dresses...yes, they wear some scraps of clothing...hmmmmmmmm:)))

L, Kamla

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Manju, Kamla, Sudha, and Meena,

Have been reading silently all this while and now jumping in. Yes we watch Hindi and tamil movies regularly. Ofcourse rent for 2 bucks as Kamla does. So hubby loves hindi movies and ends watching all the crap movies too. As for me, after the first half hour, the little one pulls me for the going to bed routine and ofcourse i go to sleep with him!!:icon_frown:

Its been ages since i watched an English movie. The last one in the theatres was Cars, and then after that I have to compulsorily sit and watch it with J ( i think i can say all the dialogues by heart now!!)

Kamla, where do the actresses wear dresses these days? and then the designers get paid oodles of money for the scraps they dish out!!

Vandhana

7. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Hi All
    Love Meryl Streep too. Saw "Prada" and she was delicious as the la-di-dah devil. She was superb in " She-Devil" and "Death Becomes her" too. Her other movies I liked are "the Hours", "out of Africa" and "The Deer Hunter" and of course, the classics "Sophies Choice" and "Silkwood" ( she was only the voice of the Queen in the animated film "Ant Bully" , but modulated it so interestingly.)

Talking of dresses of actresses ( girls, I think it is no longer politically correct to sat "actress". Its "actor" for all genders), I think , by and large, they are dressing more sensibly and believably than before.( Except of course in the song sequences where they are made to wear only men's fantasies! :icon_frown:) Just remember those horrendous, tight, stuffed ,brocade thingummies Devika or Asha Parekh or Vanishree would wear as collegegirl characters, along with foot-high Ajanta-hairdos with plastic flowers. :eek Compared to that, the simple jeans-tees and skirts Kareena or Ain or Shreya are wearing now look normal.( Not counted here, are item-numbers ofcourse !)

Manjula

8. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Kamla, hubby hates watching regional, hindi movies unless when we go to theatres with our friends, that too, after an hour of cajoling.. & he sits and watches me more than the movie.. sometimes asks me, how could anyone waste 3 hrs of precious time & blah,... but now, I've my daughter supporting me & we do watch hindi movies.. yeah, the DVDs are a much better bet than going to some not so good theatres. I too am not very keen on the usual masala but good once a way.

I love watching English movies - saying this not as a Style statement but I really do. I would like to mention this movie by Antony Hopkins, THE FASTEST INDIAN - have you by any chance heard about it??? one of the best movie of AH. It's a true story of how a newzealander risks everything, his own life to perfect his 1920 make Indian motorcycle to participate in the Bonneville Salt lake to break the world speed record. I just loved this movie. This particular DVD was kept outside the shop and priced at Rs 60/- for sale and when I enquired why is it sold with other cheap CDs I got the reply nobody is asking for it. But after i watched, I spread the word around & during my next visit to the shop I could see the CD kept inside on the shelf & most demanded one ever. its a inspirational one. story sounds so-so but you must watch AH in each frame, he's great.
    the best thing I like is the variety of characters the stars play without bothering about their image. they do all kinda roles -

About clothes, yes, I do feel it isn't very bad & atleast the ladies of today are a better slimmer comparatively & yes, they project waht they have than ........
    they all look sexy not vulgar at all. I met a kannada actress - she's too young & very slim but I see her projected tooo big . I think in south people still like the stuffed heroine better. but some of the new comers seem to have good dress sense - the one I like is Asin.
    Men tooo, seem to dress up good these days.

Pls do share some good movies in tamil. It's after ages that I watched Guru. I like watching Mani's movies. sensible sure it wld be.

Vandhana, pls do let me know if you liked , The Illusionist. the second half scenes are tooo goood. anyway, come back with your FBs.