Dear I'lites!Need all of your help to do shopping in commercial street, very urgent

Discussion in 'Bangalore' started by srisaheli, Sep 27, 2014.

1. srisaheli

srisaheli New IL'ite

Hi All Fellow I'lites!
    I am going to bangalore next weekend, by reading all your posts about commercial street shopping:), there is a nice dream started in my heart to do a memorable shopping over there.:), since i am new to b'lore i request you all to do help me to find the shop names who will sell their clothes at reasonable rates.

Please read this fully and kindly help me with your valuable ideas.

1) In commercial street in which shops i can get good quality of Cotton nighties, Kaftans and house coats? Please mention the shop names with some landmarks.

2) where can i buy materials in pure cotton at whole sale prices(in good quality for stiching salwars/ kurtas and other household things.( need the shops like our pantheon road shops where i can get at cheaper rates and do bargain) Is there anygood tailors over there to stich salwars in one or two hours before i finish my shopping.( shops names please:))

3) where shall i buy plain and double colour chiffon/georgette sarees at the price range of 400 to 1000/- in commercial street? ( The double colour saree which Kushi wearing in the serial "iss pyaar ko kya naam doon")in chennai i searched in mint street, godown st, and also in t.nagar shops, till now i could not find neither light colours goodquality plain sarees nor my dream green and yellow double colour saree:(:(.

4) where can i get the knitting yarns and needles for doing crochet items like bags,mats etc. i heard in b'lore i get good quality at cheaper rates compared to chennai shops. need some shop names who will give me retail pieces at wholesale prices:).

4) where can i buy the craftpapers,paint bruses,handmade papers, laces,kundan stones etc for doing craft items. ( again wholesale price:))

5) In commercial street itself can i get the Laces, borders,motifs for decorating salwars and sarees, here in parrys most shops are selling the whole bunch not in meters. i like to decorate my sarees,salwars and nighties with cloth laces?
    6) can i get good quality handbags and chappals in commercial street, if i bargain will the shop keepers will give it in that rate.

I don't know kannada, only english, hindi and tamil that's why i am hesitating to talk over there.can i manage to shop there without knowing their local language?

if i start from bannerghatta at the morning 10.am how long it takes to reach
    commercial street? is there any direct buses going there from bannerghatta circle.which no bus will go? or i don't mind to get down in another area to catch the 2nd bus if i get the buses often in that area than bannerghatta.

I am requesting you all to help me by telling me the exact shop names even street side shops or o.k. for me,since i look only for the good quality at reasonable rates.i am not fond of brand names, any good quality items are o.k. for me. if you give me the names of other shopping streets which is very nearer to commercial street also i would try to go and get the items

since i have only a half day in my hands to do my shopping can i find my items within 5 or 6 hours, i mean whether the street is too long ?i know the bangalore buses are moving slowly so is the autos due to heavy traffic in those areas, i must return home before 5 p.m since my dad is not willing to send me shopping in the new state but i want to go and unfortunately no one is there for me to come along with me, iss there any reliable auto or taxi services for women to reach my place safely.

Thanks a lot in Advance:), Waiting Eagerly for your replies as soon as possible since its only 6 days to go there.

Bye for now:)

1 person likes this.

2. srisaheli

srisaheli New IL'ite

Re: Dear I'lites!Need all of your help to do shopping in commercial street, very urge

Hi i'lites:)...
    106 views till now but no reply? can anybody help me?

3. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

Re: Dear I'lites!Need all of your help to do shopping in commercial street, very urge

Why this much bigger font size ?

1 person likes this.
  4. srisaheli

srisaheli New IL'ite

Hi Sumanrathi:)....
    when i type and viewed before the post i just wanted to make it little more bigger,but in the preview it shows this much bigger so i immediately changed it to the font size1 but unfortunately it did not change to the font size i wanted and i really don't know what to do as i was in hurry to post it because i have very short time to visit b'lore,so i thought if i post it quickly i may get many suggestions before this friday but i am surpriesed no one replied except you, this is the 2nd post i get no reply.but many people read it so far, i don't know whether i posted it in a wrong thread.

5. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

OP,

If you are comfortable,you can PM me your e-mail ID. My sister lives very very close to Comm Street, and that is where I do most of my shopping. I can send your e-mail ID and questions to her and she can answer you before you go to Bangalore.

Materials, chappals, bags etc ...EVERYTHING is available there. In any price range. She will unfortunately not be in bangalore when you are visiting, else she would have been happy to take you shopping.

I can't remember the names of the shops off the top of my head, but am sure my sister will be able to help out. (I will look at my old receipts from my last trip to India - I save everything - and see if I can atleast find the name of the tailor who makes my clothes)

No need to know Kannada. All shopkeepers there speak Hindi or English. It is afterall a cosmopolitan city, so language is hardly ever an issue.

There is also a shop where they will dye your dupattas to match your clothes. So you will always be able to get exact matching.

Bargaining can help in the smaller stores. If you go to a larger shop, it is fixed price.

6. Kukudukuu

Kukudukuu Silver IL'ite

Bargain well and you can buy good stuff.. But, if you want to shop in the main comm. st., then you will have to pay more. So check out for stuff in the sub-roads. If you can speak good hindi, you should be able to manage. It will take you almost an hour's time to reach Comm. st. from Bg. rd.. I am not sure if you can buy all these stuff within half a day.. You should be able to do most of it though.. Happy Shopping..:thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

My fav place to buy salwar is at DCM at 171 Commercial St. Not cheap but very well made and alterations done quickly. I am always going in in a hurry and they always accommodate me well. You might want to stop there if you go by.

I have never had any trouble with language in Bangalore.....English will be fine. I have not found Hindi very helpful though.

8. Radical

Radical Silver IL'ite

Hey,

Sorry to say but in comm street you wont get any thing for cheap. Now a days in Bangalore everything is super expensive. I feel especially comm street.

1. In case you are living closer to places like Jayanagar, Malleshwaram, Basavanagudi you will find many many shops which has cotton nighties and house coats you can purchase it. In my opinion these daily wear ones should be of good quality yet not pricey which is def not worth buying in comm street

2. ibrahim saheb street, parelel to commercial street has good shops which sells cotton salwar dress material.
    Saree between 400 to 1000 hmm I dont think you can for this cheap in comm street.
    I buy in mysore silk udyog which is expensive but you can still check ot out. This comes in the begining of comm street, you can as any one.

3. Knitting and craft items you can get in any bangle shop in general. I dont know where you get in comm street. To get lace materials, craft items in whole sale, city market is best place but its not very easy to roam on those streets due to heavy crowd and not clean roads. I am born in bangalore but have never shopped in city market or Raja market except for my wedding sarees.

4. Those days are gone in bangalore where you can bargain to whatever price you want W.r.t chappal and hand bags. Anyways when you are walking on comm street you will find so many chappal and handbag shops you can check it out and see.

5. Regarding stiching salwar, since you will be buying good ones my suggestion dont give to unkown tailor and later regret.

6. If you know hindi you can manage in comm street easily.

7. From Bannerghatta road It will take max 45 minutes again Bangalore traffic is horrible cant predict exact time. Just say ' Commercial Street' to Auto wala, he will take you. Keep reading these shop boards where they put street names so that you will know where you are. Check for google maps before so that you will know which route you are going. Its better to go by auto dont go by bus.

8. Yes you can def go through whole comm street in 5 to 6 hrs. If you have 2 days then its even more better.

Hope You will have great day. One thing comm street is pricey but its awesome to roam around. Have a blast. Sorry for any typo errors, baby on my lap.

Radical

1 person likes this.
  9. srisaheli

srisaheli New IL'ite

Hi all I lites:)....
    I am so happy and thankful to all of you who helped me with your valuable ideas. it is so helpful and i am going to follow this:) i am so thankful, have to catch the train now,( now at home in front of the p.:)) will come back next week and keep in touch again.:) just to say my " heartfelt thanks " only i opened the net.
    Bye for now:)
    catch you soon:) have a great weekend:)

Cheers,
    Sri saheli.