1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

dealing with SIL and BIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by vasu99, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Indyan

Indyan New IL'ite

Vasu99,

The best solution as everyone here has pointed out ,is to move-out ,live separately but continue to help the family within resonable limits.

But,here's my question "How are you going to do that?"

You have to tread this path very carefully,else it would boomerang on you.

You need to bring this up with your DH and make him realise the situation.That is ,he should be fully convinced that this is the best thing for him & you as a couple and for your future family.

When you bring this up with your husband ,make sure that you say the right thing,(choose your words carefully) and also at the right moment.

The reason I'm saying this is, in case you try to push this on your husband and if he is not fully convinced ,then it would leave you in a very dangerous situation.
    Remember,these ppl are dependent on you and your husband's income ,so they would not like the idea of you guys living separately.Your MIL,SIL,BIL & FIL might gang up on you and potray you as the home wrecker to your husband.So,watchout...

I suggest ,you start off by dropping hints to your husband,about your future plans and how you would like to raise your kids,and how great it would be to have your own place and freedom.......and see how he reacts to that.

Never bring this up when you are emotionally stressed out or in the middle of a fight /argument.

Patience and Perseverance are your keys .........GOOD LUCK!:thumbsup

2. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Indyan has a good point there, Vasu.
    You got to work your way out. As someone pointed earlier, even if you are pregnant there, you cannot expect much help. This seems to be a dysfunctional set up.

3. vasu99

vasu99 New IL'ite

Thank you to preethie, canwait, FL, Indyan and mstrue for your good suggestions.....

To FL - i love to gel well with my MIL and FIL and am lucky to have a ILs like them (they are very cooperative and understanding) but my SIL will not allow me to be good with them nor will allow my MIL to be good with me....she creates some misunderstanind between us....

My MIL, i feel same as my mother....but till now am not able to become close to her....becus of this lady....she is in between us...she is always hanging over with my MIL and like to be far from her....

And as Indyan says i need to think twice before taking any decision....just praying God having faith that he will show the right path...

God Bless you all

4. shrutidunwoody

shrutidunwoody Bronze IL'ite

just try to talk casually with your dh about living seperartely and see what are his reactions. You have to act very carefully in this situation especially when so many people are dependent on your dh income. Just try to think of ways and solve the problem tactfully.

And regarding your sil , talk to your mil that some things of her hurt you like her dominance.Try to take her to a park where you and her can talk.You can tell her that you like her as a mother but sometimes you feel sad when your sil dominates or shouts at you. Tell her that you are telling her these things because you feel she is like your mother.

Just be dipomatic and see the way it works for you.

5. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

Not a bane of mankind, bane of Indian culture.
    I dont see arranged marriage and joint family system in the west, they give enough space for their kids to grow and flourish and don't cramp their lifestyle.