1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Daffodils.....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by girvani, May 1, 2017.

1. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

On hearing the death of my father’s brother, I was thrown out in the meadow of emotions. He gave our family protection when we ran away from the refugee camp during the civil war in SriLanka. He is my role model in many ways and he was the head of the family until a couple of hours ago. He was my father’s elder brother. I am scared for my father who is suffering from Parkinson’s disease about how he is going to handle this news. Umpteen times you hear that life is full of ups and downs. But every time you hear about someone’s demise or terminal illness you flip into the mode of sorrow. While I was trying to take in some mindful breaths to control my thought process, I hear my two young kids are screaming for their second or may be third breakfast? At the same time, my phone beeped saying that you have only got couple of hours before you submit your first-year PhD report. What else is going to come on my way now, I wonder. First I cared for boys and then I rushed to the window to catch my breath which my body needed a while ago. There you go, in the middle of the spring there was a snow storm. Then, what I saw made me smile. Through a heavy storm, there were Daffodils vibrantly spreading their radiance. That moment I forgot all emotions running through me and what I understood is that this moment is mine. I realise it is all about how we chose to live every moment of our lives. This reminds me the poem,

For every Daffodil that grows

So does love, the gleen it brings to the heart

Cans shine incandescently like Rainbow from heaven

Mistly hidden by the rain, so are true feelings

But like our beautiful Daffodils

The true love glistens and shows it true colours

Always.

startinganew, iyerviji and Srama like this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Vani,

I read this snippet in a rush in the morning heading out to school. Nicely written. You are right, losing a loved one is never easy but those little moments that so wonderfully grabbed on to and smiled are the ones that help us get through our tough times. I am glad you could catch one such moment.

Please accept my condolences for your loss. Your dad will learn to cope too. Hang in there. Best wishes and hugs.

girvani likes this.
  3. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Thanks a lot @Srama. It means a lot

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@girvani

Dear girvani
    A beautiful piece of writing! There is a song in Tamil 'Ethanai kodi inbham vaithai iraiva!' (How many crores of joy you have kept for us dear God!) What makes life interesting is its vicissitudes. It is for us to keep looking for Daffodils to feel joy in our heart but do not forget that God has created cacti too to give us the same pleasure. It is merely because our own perception that a few things do not give us the kind of joy that daffodils give. Mental equanimity is the most crucial aspect of all our happiness.
    Sri

girvani likes this.
  5. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,
    I am humbled to see your reply. Thank you very much. It is so true that mental equanimity is to core of happiness and that too is within us. I am not at all there yet. Thank you every so much.

Warm regards.
    Girvani

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vani,
    Sorry to know about the loss of your loved uncle and I offer my heartfelt condolences. Though birth and death is inevitable part of our life we couldn't control our sorrow when a death of our loved one occurs.
    Good that the daffodils gave you some succor and you were able to see a silver line among the dark clouds.
    After darkness there is always Sunlight to cheer us,
    PS

girvani likes this.
  7. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Pushpavalli mam

It means a lot. Thank you very much. It is true that Daffodils have me the moment of joy. As Cheeniya sir said, I will need to learn to see the beauty in the Cactus too.
    Many thanks,
    Vani