Dads Constipstion Got Worse After ❤️ Surgery

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SuiDhaaga, Jun 22, 2023.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

Hello IL community,

too long Don’t read: which foods, aryuveda treatments, etc will make stool watery so elderly Patient doesn’t have to push

My Dads constipation was Horrible before Heart Surgery 3 months ago.

He did everything by the book and the stool is difficult to evacuate due to scar anal opening (sorry for TMI)

now his constipstion is worse. 100 times worse

He has strength to put immense pressure ONCE, as if he is lifting 100 lb dumbbell

afterward he doesn’t have strength to push

I suggested
    - enema at home (maybe get male home care to help)
    - open flap surgery, at least to make cut in anal opening
    - Linzess by Primary care physician (years ago he took it and it caused watery stool, now we got brand name prescription and he is seeing how to manage

We made appt with two colon rectal surgeons from two different hospitals (one of them is from same hospital he did Heart Surgery) and now he wants to cancel because he feels they will not help, only run uncomfortable tests.

My Dad is scared to get knee replacement surgery (the reason he underwent heart surgery) because he is scared the pushing will break all the Drs stitches when he replaces knee.

Please guide me for solutions. ,y Dad says he wants to leave the world because he is in so much Pain, esp when sitting on toilet for 3 hours and there is no output

2. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

Hi @SuiDhaaga . Its pretty normal to experience change in bowel movements after a surgery for a long time.

As far as I remember from a previous post of yours, your dad is also on diuretics (water pill). This also causes constipation as it removes water from the body.

First off, ask him NOT to push. He has had a heart surgery and pushing will put stress on his heart.

Do ask him to drink lots of warm water first thing in the morning on empty stomach.
    Do ask him to have a spoon of Isabgol in his warm water.
    Do soak a couple of prunes overnight in water and make him eat it
    Ask him to be active and walk no matter how slowly

All these would definitely help with the constipation. Good luck and hope his bowel troubles get better soon

3. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

oh yeah, Dad takes water pill. I asked Cardiologist if water pill is worsening the constipation because it removes water. He only lowered the dose and it gave some relief (not completely out of the woods yet)

When you say experience bowel movement changes from surgery for a long time, how long? It’s been exactly 3 months today.

Dad drinks water with Synthroid first thing in morning. I’ll ask if I can warm the water bottle for him.

I believe we have Isabgol at home, I will ask him to take that with warm water.

I’ll have to come in e him to eat prunes that have been soaked overnight

Fortunately he is walking a bit (the Heart Surgeon says Dad must walk a bit each day e en though he has osteoarthritis on knee)

Wish us luck!

gamma50g likes this.