1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting Short In-laws Visits To Usa

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Meet9, Feb 13, 2017.

1. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

There are things we can control and things we can't control. Out of a (misplaced?) sense of duty, the guys do bow down to their parents.

I would suggest that you control what you can and disregard the rest. Eg. You push the dates by a month saying you need breathing space between school holidays and in laws arrival. The duration might not change but you've timed it better for yourself.

Refuse to babysit them but do it politely. Enroll kids in various classes and activities. Organise play dates. Have outings planned with your friends for yourself to keep your sanity.

Keep your money separate - budget what you'd spend for them and don't exceed it. As far as what husband spends, keep out unless it's outrageous - drop in hints when alone -if you wish to be cheeky- about how poor husband doesn't have enough cash but wants to spend outrageously for them as though he has to buy their love. Laugh it off and offer tea.

And enlist them to help out with chores. Just give them a list of jobs to do - folding laundry/ chopping veg/ making dough whatever. Ask politely but firmly. If they refuse to do it and you are away at work, offer sandwiches for dinner.

Being polite but refusing to bend over backwards consistently will help you in the long run. Don't let your husband dictate what you should do to make them happy. Just dismiss his concerns in front of them saying, come on, we are all reasonable adults; don't act like your parents are petty people.

Meet9 likes this.
  2. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Thanks guesshoo, loved your suggestions, exactly what i needed to ward off my frustrations...sometimes we become so engrossed in our negativeness that we just cannot think out of the box, your tips are spot on for me..Thank you! :) right now the situation wont arise at least for until the end of year and then maybe they wont plan to come in winters, so we are good until summer..

Cantdecide and guesshoo like this.
  3. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Thank you! OMG 6 months at stretch is pure undiluted torture..sounds like you have pretty bad in laws, they didnt spare your mom!!! I would eat alive anyone who treats my mom like this...I think no matter what you do, most in laws (there are some lucky rare ones who do actually get nice in laws) can and will never praise DILs, I think we can never win their appreciation, and bad mouthing DILs comes as naturally to them as they attend to their nature's calls..loll..we should keep a balance to maintain our self respect, be firm and polite yet not do anything really drastic bad to them to earn bad karmas..

Cantdecide and boldnbutiful like this.
  4. boldnbutiful

boldnbutiful Silver IL'ite

Yup I couldn't bear her treating mum like that which is when I lost it...they insulted my dad in marriage bcz we dint serve her highness juice then I couldn't do nythng as I was told t be quiet but now after marriage I just couldn't control and later I blamed it on my harmones saying I just delivered a baby two days ago...

Yup MIL birth right is to bad mouth dil no matter how good they are ..my poor husband always trying t get into their good books but they wont consider him as long as he doesn't bcom their ATM...

As far as maintaining my sanity ,I still need to learn those tricks ...

Cantdecide likes this.