1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting Off Inlaws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Reena26, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Reena26

Reena26 Bronze IL'ite

Just wanted some advice. Have any ladies from a Western Country ever cut relations with their inlaws in India. After 10 years of marriage and so many problems, I have pretty much stopped calling my inlaws. My husband is from India but very much Westernized since coming here - his own choice. My son who is born here is Americanized - does not speak an Indian language but understands. My husbands parents have been here multiple but failed in many ways to understand life in the US. However I was expected to follow their culture always. They are very dependent and only just 60 years old. They wanted to go everywhere together and never leave the house. I feel suffocated by them. Now I have my happiness and peace of mind. I don’t think I will ever go to India. I don’t agree with much of the culture - women as second class, my parents insulted with words such as ‘peon’ because they are business people and my husbands parents have a degree because there’s no dignity of labor there whereas here we respect all types of work. How has it been for you?

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Can relate to you and I can understand.

Married more than a decade and a half,I entered my in-laws home with no expectations and completely wanting to be accepted by them.

I tried pleasing them,even to the level of being a doormat,being insulted by them,bribe them with costly gifts but all I got back was insults,insults and more passive aggressive insults.

Now I have reached a stage where I told my husband point blank that he can give them all his wealth but no more do I want to share anymore space with them.
    I will ofcourse go for my India vacations ,treat then right and be nice but will never want to permanently live with them.I however won’t stop my husband or kids or financial help for them.Afterall,he is their son.

I do not have anymore love or respect for them and it is a waste of time and energy to even trying to change them.I changed a lot but I feel like a whole new version of myself which I didn’t like.

I am someone who came from a joint family and know what relations are and how adjusting and understanding one should be.

With a heavy heart will say one thing..joint families won’t work anymore BUT..

One has to be fair and should make sure both sets of parents be it the girl or the boy should be given financial security and help and definitely phone calls and meet ups on and off to make sure they are doing okay.If we don’t like in-laws it’s okay but one should not try to stop the grandkids and hubby but again this is my opinion.

This is not done out of love but humanity.

3. Reena26

Reena26 Bronze IL'ite

I agree with you. I have decided I will no longer go to India but I will let my husband and child visit every couple of years for a couple of weeks. He also sends them money every couple of months. That is my compromise. I can send my son no more than 2 weeks. I know a lot of people think differently now in India but my inlaws don’t. They feel like they won the lottery by bringing two sons. They wanted an after marriage dowry from my parents but did not want any relations with them. They still feel a woman’s place is at home as a housewife to their educated son. I am raising my son to be the best husband to his wife. To treat her with love and respect. To be happy.

4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Why should you stop your India trips coz of in-laws?it is just two weeks and I think you should go and maybe stay with your parents and have some relaxing time.Compromise but don’t over compromise.

5. Reena26

Reena26 Bronze IL'ite

6. Reena26

Reena26 Bronze IL'ite

My mom and my brother live here. I don’t go because my mother in-law will emotionally blackmail me. If she even does the smallest thing for me then she will demand I keep her for 3 months in the USA. She says that she alone did everything for her son to be a doctor but did not. Knowing they had two sons they took a very easy life. They lived rent free all their life in the doctors quarters so his dad just came downstairs to go to work. She had the help of all her relatives to raise her sons. But she demanded over and above. When my husband was not yet earning, I spent $200 dollars of my own salary to buy designer things for each family member in India. She told me I had to pay back the relatives in India who helped my husband. She sees him as a financial investment rather than unconditional love. I still send nice things for his brothers daughter to India. I can’t do anymore.

7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Just tell her she can come if she is willing To share work with you.In India we have maids but in America,it is already tough without help and emotionally if we are targeted it is tougher .
    Hope your hubby is understanding of your situation

8. Reena26

Reena26 Bronze IL'ite

9. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

This is exactly my thoughts as well. :beer-toast1:

anika987 likes this.
  10. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

You poor thing! Your actions show that you are getting cut off.

sbonigala and Rihana like this.