Current situation with job and family..need advise

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by OliveOyl, Sep 27, 2012.

1. OliveOyl

OliveOyl Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I work in a large organization. I leave home at 7 30 in the morning, and I am back only by 7-7 30. After that I have to take calls. I have to work on some weekends too. I am trying my best to cope with the time away from home but still facing some issues:

1) I wish to take my son to the park, play with him, meet his friends mothers. Not able to do any of it.
    2) I have lost touch with all my friends because of my timings :(. Calling them and talking is not same as seeing them face to face. And they are not availalbe on weekends when I have time. Also, I feel they ignore me, since the rest of them meet each other during the day, and I am perpetually unavailable.
    3) I am not able to spend quality time with husband, and all interactions are transactional and to the point.
    4) I want to be able to celebrate festivals in a grand way, call my neighbours for tambulams and stuff, but I get one day off, and the day just flies by.
    5) I want to be part of the community, to even make friends in my apartment, but all are back in their houses by the time I come home, busy in their lives. When I want to talk, they are too busy, since their husbands come home by the same time. When they have time, at around 4 30 - 6 I am not there. So I am perpetually out of the gang.

As soon as I come home, I have to take care of homework, cooking, dinner, cleaning up. My husband helps quite a bit, but there are some things which I just cannot delegate. On days in which I take evening calls, it becomes much worse, since my son wont sleep or eat till I come. :(:( At the end of the day, at around 10 30 I am ready to go to bed, and crash almost immediately.

I feel guilty when I come home from work, when I see my son's tired face. I feel guilty when my husband tells me that he will eat plain curd rice, since I am too tired to make chapatis for him. I feel guilty when I see other ladies houses so neat and tidy and well decorated, but my house is so bare and very basic. I end up getting frustrated and yell at everyone, though probably my attitude is the biggest issue.

I get up early in the morning, and cook for the entire day. My maid who takes care of my son cuts the vegetables during the day, so it is a bit easy for me in the morning. But nowadays my cooking is also not tasty, since i prepare everything in a hurry.

Even when I wake up say half an hour early, I waste my time browsing the net, checking my mails, or logging into my office network to do work (!!!!)

I am not able to switch off from work, and I feel overwhelmed all the time. I envy deeply stay at home moms who dress nicely, take care of their children, have neat and tidy houses, cook varieties of dishes and who seem to have it all. They dont at all seem unhappy to me.

My husband encourages me to work. He really likes it that there is an equal contributer to family income and that I am an independent lady. But I yell at him that he is not like a typical husband who is ok with the wife staying at home. I feel so frustrated, and wish sometimes that he just forced me to stay at home and give up my career.

I barely have time for my parents or inlaws and though I try, they end up being closer to their kids who are at home, rather than to me. I feel sad that they treat their other children so close, but to me they dont seem to have anything to share or discuss. They just dont get my world and how it operates. Sometimes they dont even come and stay with me, since they say that anyway you are not at home, so what is the point. They are otherwise nice people and no typical issues as such.

Please help me get over this guilt, envy, unhappiness. I want to lead a good quality life, in which every one is happy including me. Please help me be a normal happy working woman with a good family and happy kid.

2. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Take a break and go for a vacation... Spend time with your family without your computer/laptop.... switch off your mobile.... You will become more energetic and will be clear on what you need, when you return back from the trip....

3. sumaramesh

sumaramesh New IL'ite

Hi

I don't think this would be permanent solution... Why dont you try this..

1. Search a new job, where you have lesser work load, and is close to your home.
    I am a S/W engg too. Luckily i don't have much work pressures and its around 45mins
    from my place, if i change job i will get almost 50% more salary, but i chose to be in
    this company as i have flexible timings and little pressure (I have compromised on lesser salary).
    this way i get to spend lot of time for house hold chores, with dh, i celebrate all festivals grand
    (I prepare everything previous weekend and have everything ready, so will have only pooja and cooking
    on festival day).. So i am happy as both Homemaker and Have a job to be occupied and even earn...

2. Hire a full time maid to do complete house hold chores, once your home ensure you just spend time with
    your dh and kid... Also as Amnsilakshmi suggested take vacations once in a while....

2 people like this.
  4. ramyapradeep

ramyapradeep Silver IL'ite

Hey Oliveoyl,

I can very much feel your guilt coz i too sail in the same boat.
    My mom in law takes care of my kid but still i do feel guity of denying the above said things to my child as a full time mom.Though my MIL takes good care of my kido still I feel for not taking care of her like other house moms.Esp in the morning when my kid has sad face or even cries when i leave to office.If this is the situation now this would be the case throughout untill we need money.
    My husband had given me full freedom to stay at home but our financial needs do not allow me to do so.Even i feel like quitting these days but a bit worried to take such a decision.I also do not want to sit idle at home being dependent.
    But now i am almost deciding to quit in next 2 to 3 months.I am into a part time business and now i have decided to do that full time in next 2 or 3 months once my set goal is reached..through this i can spend quality time for my kid esp.Still i have to put in some work in this business too but still i can have my kid with me whenever i feel so.Hoping and keeping my fingers crossed that my plans work out well.
    Better try changing to a different job where your timings are better than now.That would be the only option.you can also take a break but again should land up in the same pitch.So think of changing over your company or speak to your boss about timings and work load.

5. pranatim

pranatim Platinum IL'ite

You are frustrated to the core. Take a break have a kit-kat no I am not joking. Take a break and if possible what suma said follow that. Or else you will not like anything end of the month when salary comes to your account will also be meaningless as your weekends are on calls and all. Be ready and prepared now itself before it slips from your hand.

6. malathia

malathia Silver IL'ite

I agree with you Suma :)

I have also chosen the same .....I am also an Engg work at a company about 6 away from home and able to manage home and work...

Just try an option of WFH Olive if it works in your company .....Many companies provide this option....

Take care,

7. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

This guilt is there is almost every Working Mother's Life. Chill dear. Its your Life .You need to take a call on your priorities and decide.

I am also in IT field for 7 years and recently moved to the Corporate group from the Delivery. Right now i am able to squeeze my Work strictly between 9 and 6 and spend more time with my LO.

Think about alternatives and am sure every Problem has a Solution.

8. sandhyapal

sandhyapal Bronze IL'ite

Hi

Once you loose your time its not coming back again.
    so realize now itself its not too late change your job as other said.
    whats the use of all those thousands of money in from of your kids smile?
    talk to your DH and take a small break meet all your friends and family with your family have a get together and enjoy

if you get adjusted in the same way for some more time you will loose your kids childhood.
    when he gets into his higher studies then you may have time for him but he needs you very less.
    your kid needs your love and affection.

every thing is after your kids happiness right?
    so think about taking break
    i see lots of ladies prefer leaving their good jobs for their kids.
    so its not wrong.

if possible invovle in some part time works and when your kids grows up you can make it full time
    and you too dont feel dependent.

9. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

dear Olive,

Most working moms do feel guilty about not having enough time for their family. I feel working moms deserve greater appreciation because they have to manage both home n office. However, there is no point in comparing the two because grass is always greener on the other side !!

Working moms have financial independence, job satisfaction and mentally stimulating environs but miss out on the home and social front. Similarly stay-at-home moms might be a boon for their family and manage their homes beautifully but have just kids to interact with [unless they have a great social circle or stay in a joint family]. Whichever role you choose, just do your best. One way to stop feeling guilty would be to stop comparing yourself with others.

love,
    kylie

10. vini31

vini31 Gold IL'ite

My God you seem to be living only for your work,
    1) fix a schedule time apart from the calls, to finish off ur work and not to open you laptop or touch your BB for mails/browsing
    2)do not commit too many things to your manager/customer infact practically speaking always keep a buffer

always remember your workplace can get a replacement but your son wont