1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Crispy Soya Potato Snack

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sanjeeta, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Sanjeeta

Sanjeeta New IL'ite

Patties or Tikia is a regular feature in my home on Sunday evenings. I include different vegetables, greens and other ingredients to give variety every time I make the same. I love this snack for the fact that it is quite filling, healthy and delicious and can be enjoyed at any time of the year.
    I often pack this in my kids lunchbox with tomato sauce, they just love to eat it in school. And there are times when I pack 20-30 tikias in their lunchbox on popular demand of their friends.
    Ingredients: (makes 4 tikias)

• 2 Potatoes
    • 1 tbsp Soya granules
    • 4 bread slices
    • 1 small onion
    • 1 green chilly
    • 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
    • 1 tbsp Mint leaves
    • 1/2 tsp Cumin seed powder
    • 1/4 tsp turmeric
    • 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
    • Salt as desired
    • 2 tsp oil
    • 1/4 tsp Amchoor powder or Chaat masala
    • water
    Method: Boil and peel the potatoes. Soak the soya granules in water for 5 minutes and take out. Squeeze the granules to remove excess water from it.. Peel the onion and slice it finely.
    Mix sliced onion, green chilly, green leaves and all the dry powders with potato and add Soya granules to it. Mix the ingredients thoroughly, and keep aside.
    Take a big bowl and fill it with water. Now take a slice of bread and dip it in water for a second, squeeze lightly keeping the slice in between both the palms. Place a small quantity of potato mixture in the center of the bread.
    Note: This part is real tricky. If you want to deep fry the tikias, fill it with little of potato mixture, and if you prefer to shallow fry the tikia, fill more of potato mix. Fold the bread slice around the potato mixture and close the tikia. Close it tightly by circulating it in between the palm.
    For the first timers it is best advised to fill less of the mixture in the bread slice. As the tikia will be easy to manage, close properly and may not open while frying in the oil.
    Make all the tikias and keep aside. Heat a non-stick girdle and sprinkle a little oil on it. Keep all the tikias on the girdle (tawa) and shallow fry with very little oil. Take off when it is golden brown in colour.
    Serve hot with tomato sauce or fresh coriander chutney. Pack it in the lunchbox or take it as a picnic take away.
    Soya granules with potato make it a healthy option for kids and elders as well. And mint in the tikia gives it a very distinct taste besides adding the nutritive value of the recipe.
    Though the deep fried version taste heavenly, but then this place is all for ‘lite recipes for right health!’
    Hope the explanation and pictures make it easy for you to try this crispy potato soya snack. Do let me know how did it come.

2. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

hmm... crispy, tasty recipe!!!

3. suryayasaswini

suryayasaswini Silver IL'ite

HI sanjeeta
    tikkis r looking crispy n yummy .will try it.
    I tried vegetable cake(suji) cameout very nice. thanks for the reciepe.

4. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

another EXCELLENT recipe from you !!!!!!!!!!

Super photo clicks !!!!!!! Good blog !!!!!!!:cheers

Keep posting girl !!!!!!!:thumbsup

5. Sanjeeta

Sanjeeta New IL'ite

Hi Surya, Thanks for your sweet words. Am sure you will like this one too.
    Keep connected, take care.

6. Sanjeeta

Sanjeeta New IL'ite

Hi Sunitha,
    Thanks for encouraging.

A girl at 40 :) Feel young again!

7. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Hey even i am 39...but do you know i always feel i am growing old only when i look at the mirror.....:hide:

once i move away...i still feel as if i am in college:)......thank god i dont feel like i am a school girl:rotfl

so girl be happy ok !!!!!!!!!!! we are sailing in the same boat !!!!!!!!!

8. Sanjeeta

Sanjeeta New IL'ite

Hi Sunitha, thanks for sharing the boat :)

9. rafiqua

rafiqua New IL'ite

hi sanjeetha,
    ur potato soya balls are really tasty &ur photos too.