Crib or family bed?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by geeta_sathish, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Geetha,

I bought a crib and a changing table. Put the baby in the crib the first night we brought her home and she kicked up a fuss...ended up putting her on my bed with pillows on one side and me on the other.

After 7-8 months, when my sleep was totally gone and I was totally exhausted (plus the fact that she was starting to roll over all over the place), I tried the crib again and this time it worked. After 2-3 days, she started to sleep in the crib in our room. She slept more peacefully and there was no danger of her rolling off...

After a month of that, I moved the crib to the next door room..this was because she would wake up sometimes in the night and start crying for us to pick her up or just was a lil restless in her sleep which in turn would wake us up fully. We keep a baby video monitor next to her crib to watch over her. This arrangement has worked beautifully for us. Both she and I have been getting proper sleep since I did this.

About the changing table I ended up never using it. I have been using the puppy changing pads instead from day 1 ( I just put one on the bed and change her). I always carry a few wherever I go...they're cheap and work great for this purpose.

Hope this helps.

love,
    Aarushi

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  2. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Hi Manasa,

Even I am planning to use the dresser itself as the changing table, as there won't be any room for movement in the bedroom if it gets cluttered with the changing table too. But Gayathri's idea is good, please remember to get a changing pad and cover.
    I find babiesrus to be expensive when compared to walmart. I was comparing prices of infant car seats and strollers of the same brand and between the two shops and even the same models were a little expensive in babiesrus. I decided to look in walmart and probably IKEA for the crib.

Aarushi,

Thanks for the feedback.

I have not heard of puppy changing pads. What are they and where can we get these? Sorry my questions are a little silly. This is all very new to me.

Thanks and take care.

3. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Hey Geetha,

Just google and you'll find them. I buy them from Walmart (in the pet section).

I first saw them at the hospital where I gave birth..the nurses were using it sometimes to help change the baby and I liked the idea...

About cribs - you can check out Burlington Coat Factory also. I bought mine from there...

love,
    Aarushi

4. kmanasa

kmanasa New IL'ite

Thanks Gayatri, Will remember to buy some extra changing pad covers.

Geetha, I felt that strollers were same price everywhere. I looked at some Graco models and it there was no diff. in price between Babies'r'us, Walmart or even online stores like Amazon. And about cribs, babies'r'us has the best models. I noticed that the models from Walmart and Target, at our place, are not sturdy, the joints move loose compared to the ones at Babies'r'us. Ofcourse there is difference in cost but even these land around 200 and at babies'r'us the models are around 250 and above. It is better to spend a little more and get durable cribs with wide and sturdy legs.

Aarushi, first, love ur name. What does it mean? And I looked into BDF's web site,liked some models. Thanks for the tip.

5. suma21

suma21 New IL'ite

Hi kmanasa ,

When my daughter was born we bought a bassinet which she never used ,so we just bought convertable crib,removed one side & attached it to our queen size bed...it worked well for us..she was safe next to me..so feeding was also easy,now 2 years & still sleeps in our room...crib attached to our bed...we are planning to change it to toddler bed soon & detach it from our bed..but she loves to roll & play from her crib to our bed & we too enjoy....We liked attached parenting & want our kid next to us atleast till she turns 3.we had evenflow crib 150 from walmart.Regarding Stroller,we bought Graco travel system from walmart.Dont invest on changing table ,just buy changing pad & place it in the crib.

Hope this helps
    cheers
    Suma

6. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Hey kmanasa,

Thanks!:) Aarushi means "ray of sun". I found the name when I was searching for names for my daughter and loved it..maybe I'll name my second daughter that (if I ever have one)...he he...:)

And you're welcome about the tip!

love,
    Aarushi

7. kmanasa

kmanasa New IL'ite

Thanks Suma for the reply. It's nice to hear ur rolling experiences with ur daughter:). Our mattress is EuroTop and it is really high:(. So I am not sure, it will be low enough for the baby to roll into our bed.
    We repent buying Eurotop now. First 'coz It is so high, makes the room look smaller. Second, It is so cushoined, I am getting frequent backaches with this large belly. I advice everyone to go for atleast one hard mattress at home which is especially useful when expecting a baby. I heard memory foam works great too.
    Thanks for the info.

Aarushi, 'Ray of Sun', love the name even more now.:)

Has anyone used any of the Babysdream cribs? Any personal experiences, pl share.

8. momtobe

momtobe New IL'ite

I think crib or cotbed is a better option as apart from the reasons mentioned above i suppose it will also instill a sense of independence in the child. S/he should learn from the beginning itself how to soothe himself/herself. From my own experience, i was a very insecure child and would need my mother around most of the time...i slept in family bed for long...and i definitely don't want the same thing to happen to my child. Though in short term it might be easier to feed the baby in the bed but in the long run it will not help...I have already bought a cotbed and dresser for my baby from mothercare. It is nice pine wood cotbed named Aylesbury cotbed. For initial months, i will definitely keep the bed beside my bed in the same room. When the child grows the side railings can be removed so that it can easily last till 5 years. Good luck!