Cranberry Pickle - My experiment

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by SriVidya75, Dec 4, 2010.

1. libra4164

libra4164 Silver IL'ite

Hi Srividya,
    Thanks for the innovative, mouthwatering achaar. Would love to try it.

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Sri Vidya:
    Interesting use of cranberries. Since you are on a roll with cranberry cooking, you might try also to make some of this fresh relish and add spice to it as needed:

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: #eeeece 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; COLOR: #8caa9e; BORDER-TOP: #eeeece 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #dddd9d 2px solid" class=title bgColor=#ffffcc noWrap align=left>FRESH CRANBERRY ORANGE RELISH<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #eeeece 1px solid"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #dddd9d 2px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #eeeece 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 20px; PADDING-LEFT: 20px; PADDING-RIGHT: 20px; BORDER-RIGHT: #dddd9d 2px solid; PADDING-TOP: 20px" bgColor=#ffffcc colSpan=2>
    1 12 oz pkg fresh cranberries
    1 orange

Put washed, drained cranberries in a food processor with 1 orange which has been peeled and quartered with all seeds being removed.
    Pulse for a few seconds, just until coarsely chopped. Stop and scrape down sides of bowl, if necessary, to chop evenly.
    Add 3/4 to 1 cup of sugar and taste adjusting sweetness as desired.
    Stir well and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Cranberry Orange Relish may be frozen for up to 2 months. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

Also, I am wondering if you buy a can of jellied cranberry sauce, if you could use that instead of your fresh cranberries and sugar and come up with something similar.

BTW, why don't you freeze your excess...cranberries do not require cooking or blanching to freeze successfully. You can just freeze bags of berries to use throughout the winter as the price goes up later and the quality goes down.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  3. addy

addy New IL'ite

Hi, I had made this 'thokku' since the lot we had bought while abroad, was sour.Everybody loved that!

4. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Sure shuba:thumbsup

5. SriVidya75

No Jis pls:crazy

The recipe you shared.....it does sound yummyyyyy worth trying ..thanks for sharing dear

6. SriVidya75

Thank you Nitha. I have never tasted Cranberries this is the first time I tried something with it...but having read the great health benefits I guess this one is going to be in our food list going forward:idea

7. SriVidya75

Thanks maa....am glad you liked it:) yep its just takes exactly 5 mins to make this achaar

8. SriVidya75

Tina

Thanks alot for this tip maa:bowdown Now I will buy couple of more bags and then freeze them.

Relish recipe does sound yummy :) thanks for sharing ...am planning to make some cranberry juice might be a mixed juice with some other fruits or so....lets see how it would taste

9. SriVidya75

woww...glad to know that you also like it:cheers

10. vijayasampath

vijayasampath Gold IL'ite

Hi vidya..

I have tasted this pickle when i was small...i think it is called kalakai pickle in tamil.Thank you so much for the procedure..if i get cranberry here i will try...yours is tempting me ..really yummy!!