1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cows milk allergy..any alternative?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Soulsong, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Soulsong

Soulsong Silver IL'ite

Hi moms...

My daughter aged 4 was diagnosed with cows milk allergy recently... She was getting stomach pain every now and then which led to this diagnosis.
    I googled and found that many kids with cows milk allergy are also allergic to goat and soy milk. So we bought a carton of almond milk yesterday. This is so difficult for me because she likes curd and cheese. Now i have to find an alternative.
    moms...any one of you faced a situation like this? What did you do about it?

please help me..
    thanks in advance..

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Soulsong
    You can substitute cow's milk with soya milk until your daughter developes tolerance against cow's milk.
    And my logic says,cows milk is actually for the calf.And for the same reason humans can substitute milk with other calcium rich food.Milk is preferred because it has everything except vitamin C.So while you avoid giving her cow's milk,do give her calcium rich food and more veggies.Being a pescetarian also helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

My DD is allergic to milk. But she is not allergic to soy. Dr suggested giving her soy milk. But I am giving her almond milk as soy contains something similar to female hormones and it is not good in long run..just remember to supply her adequate calcium by things like calcium gummy bears, vegetables like broccoli ;spinach etc.

I think you can try giving her goat milk and see as her if her cows milk allergy is not life threatening. Goats and cows milk contains similar proteins. That's why people allergic to cows milk are also allergic to goats.

1 person likes this.
  4. Soulsong

Soulsong Silver IL'ite

Thanks smilealways...
    Even i am not for soy milk for the same reason. Yes even my daughter takes gummy bear multivit and i am making sure she gets enough calcium from other sources..thankfully broccoli is her fav vegetables...and i have heard broccili has more calcium than milk.
    I think we will stick with almond milk for now...but now my concern is....how to replace her regular yogurt and cheese..have you tried any alternative? I was suggesting my DH will check out at the vegan store..may be i will find some nondairy items..

5. Soulsong

Soulsong Silver IL'ite

thakyou Dinny..
    We are lacto-vegetarians ..we dont have any animal products,fish or egg....except for milk.
    i agree with you cows milk is for calf. Now that there is an issue with cows milk..i guess this is a nudge i the right direction...go vegan:thumbsup. I need to find alternatives for yogurt and cheese...can you help me out there?

6. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Soulsong,

I never give cheese /yogurts to my dd. We knew she was allergic to milk as soon as we introduced cows milk to her diet.so it never occurred me to find a substitute for cheese/yougurt. Guess there's some soy alternatives. Search earth balance products. They have diary free vegan alternatives for butter etc.some soy free too. Check their products in their website. Whole foods is selling them. I use olive oil for pasta instead of cheese., and some veggies too.

1 person likes this.
  7. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Please post when you find any good altervative

8. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My DD is allergic to milk. Here are the alternatives that I have tried:

Milk variants

Almond milk
    Rice milk
    Hazelnut milk
    Soy milk - I give the soy version of pediasure currently.

Yogurt variants

Soy yogurt
    Almond milk yogurt
    Coconut milk yogurt
    Kefir

Cheese

Vegan cheese/Dairy free cheese - Honestly it sucks big time. But my DD (has never tasted real cheese) loves them.

1 person likes this.
  9. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Ramya,

Kefir is milk product right? I read online that it is not advisable for milk allergy prople. It's good for lactose intolerant people.

10. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes kefir is a milk product. Surprisingly my DD was kinda ok with kefir. Not sure why though. I have given only the diluted version.

Anyways had to stop it as DD did not like the taste.

In my DD's case she is ok with butter.

If you have Wegmans store nearby then try it. They have a stock of alternatives.