Covid19- How Has Your Routine Changed, What Are You Doing To Cope Up With Being Cooped Up

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Vaikuntha, Mar 16, 2020.

1. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

@SunPa I feel better today.
    Is anyone else worried about economy ? I’m going crazy thinking what will happen to jobs

Angela123 and rachaputi like this.
  2. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

yh true!! And worried recession directly proportional to jobs. Markets were down upto 35% till now. As scary as 2008!!

mangaii likes this.
  3. mangaii

Yes the minute I try to save money there goes the economy. I have been cutting down on expenses. But just thinking out loud how long this time recession is going to be there. This is definitely is going to worst than 2008. I hope something turns around .

shravs3 and Angela123 like this.
  4. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

No no !! Hopefully it will not :(

mangaii likes this.
  5. priyasaki

priyasaki Gold IL'ite

Vacation has already started for my son(6 yrs), it is going to be for 75 days i guess, no outings, no summer classes, no relatives visit. I don't know how I am going to manage him, thinking of how to keep him occupied for this period.
    My client is ready to give WFH but the company where i am working is still framing WFH policy and asking us to wait for 1 more week. DH is working in public sector bank and he has to go to office for all the 7 days(year ending).
    Thank god my mom is there to take care of my kid(we are staying near by)

Stocked the vegetables yesterday for 6 - 7 days.
    Today me and my dad went for grocery shopping to one of the famous store in our city.
    It was very much crowded and the shelves are almost empty for few items at 10 am itself..
    They have a large godown and ample number of employees, but as soon as they refill it is getting disappeared from shelf..
    I could see a lady getting 30kgs of toor dhal, 5 kgs of salt(i think she is stocking up for a year).

In billing counter the employee said good that you came in morning, in the evening you cannot even enter into the shop.. she also added this is the case for the past 1 week.

mangaii likes this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

India has such a lot of people employed in the "Informal sector". They are in some manner of a mix of a product+service market, and get paid in cash. Autorikshaw drivers, flower sellers, street-side pan-wallahs and so many others. They depend on footfall of potential customers to ply their business. When all their clients are staying home, or hardly venturing out anywhere, and on a different routine, the livelihood of all these millions of people, and their lives as well, would be in serious jeopardy.

I hope this virus goes away the soonest and help out the poor among us.

Thyagarajan, SunPa and mangaii like this.
  7. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

DH is working from home and I have to go to office everyday. Kid's school closed, she is a blessing as she needs no entertainment from us and keep DH in check.
    Dreading the economy as we hear this is the start of a recession.
    From office we are asked not order any unnecessary work/authorize any contracts etc. They are constantly asking as to stay put (I work for local government). There will be less work available for the consultants who work with us that makes less work for us too. It could eventually lead to cutting hours of work.
    We will be asked to work from home soon. But my work has a lot of meeting, in office and on construction sites, which cannot happen as usual under current conditions, that means my work performance will suffer.
    On top of that I am 11 weeks pregnant and haven't told my office about this yet. I was waiting for the first trimester to end successfully. More reason to stress.

what I learned is since DH working from home, he eats quite a lot of food. this week we have been to grocery store multiple times - using walmart pick up so that we don't have to go inside the shop. So I might buy some snacks in bulk this weekend and we are good on all other food items. Didn't do any crazy hoarding shopping yet.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

my H and i are worries about that a lot.

this is not 2008 crisis. housing and bad loans were the cause. that did not stop costco, airlines. this is almost shutting down the world. business will cut to prevent bankruptcy.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. mangaii

@lavani it is like we are paying the price for someone's fault. Now with 0% interest rate the companies will still make money. The low income group will get benefits . The only people who will get affected by this are middle class income group who are working in mid level jobs. This is unexpected. Came from no where and nobody knows who gets laid off after this wfh party ends. I wish government had crossed borders earlier and now it is too late. I hate the rat race . Keeping myself positive has been very difficult.

10. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Aren't they linked? Bad economy is due to loss of jobs. I try hard not to think of this.

mangaii likes this.