Cost of living in Kuala Lumpur/Malaysia

Discussion in 'New to KL' started by t_sireesha04, Sep 22, 2008.

1. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Preethi,

So glad I found this thread and you here :)

I haven't gone thru the whole thread though, just wanted to check for a friend of mine in India whose DH is likely to shift to KL for job. He would be staying there alone. They want to know the cost of living in KL.

Are 1 bhk apartments available or should he choose to share accomodation with bachelors. What would be the rent like.

How about Food and Travel expense, if he chooses to stay close to his work place which seems to be in the heart of KL.

Anything else that they should consider?

Thanks in advance :)

2. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Akila,

Glad and actually surprised to see you here..

There are 1bhk serviced apartments, but they are really very expensive.. Noone would consider this unless the company is going to pay for accomodation..

He can opt for a shared accomodation if available.. and since he is going to be single here..
    or else the standard place where indian expats live is brickfields, little india, where the apartments/condos have 2 or 3 bedrooms.. and rental is 2000++

Food and travel are really very nominal at kl sentral and he would not have to worry..
    I think he should also consider other things like his tax (some cases it is 27% for few months for foreigners), also other smaller necessities like Internet/Phone bills etc since he will need to call home often.

1 person likes this.
  3. preethiitech

Shared accomodation can be the best option , since he can sub-rent a room only from some other family, where he would have to pay only 500++ But, it is quite some work to find a nice family/bachelors to live with..

Good luck to your friend.

1 person likes this.
  4. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks so much preethi :) I will pass on the info to them. This should be able to help my friend to make some decision. Will come back if they have more queries;-)

1 person likes this.
  5. Vetsa

Vetsa New IL'ite

Hi,

This is vetsa. Can any one tell me 10,000RM per month excluding tax is a good salary in KL to stay near to jalan tun razak.

your advice is appreciated. wht is condo rent near jalan tun razak

6. preethiitech

Hi Vetsa,

Congratulations on the good job offer.. 10,000 is supposed to be a very good salary, as you will see that things are pretty inexpensive here, except may be the house rental..

Consider your tax as you are an expat, and any other that they might deduct.. If those are not much, then its a very good amount.. (Caution: Expats are sometimes charged 28% of their salary as tax for the first few months, please check with your company policy)

GUIDELINES FOR EXPATRIATES UNDER EMPLOYMENT IN MALAYSIA

TAX RATE:

In general, an individual is considered not resident if his duration of stay in Malaysia is less than 182 days in a calendar year. However there are other circumstances that may determine the residence status of an individual. Reference may be made to Public Ruling No.2/2005 which can be down loaded from this website :
    http://www.hasil.org.my

The tax rates that apply to the chargeable income depend on the resident status of an individual for tax purposes.
    Income from employment (i.e. any wages, honorarium fees, salaries and other similar remuneration including benefits in kind e.g. the use of a residence or automobile) of an individual not resident in Malaysia is taxed at a flat rate of 28% and is not entitled to any personal relief.

BASIS YEAR AND YEAR OF ASSESSMENT

The calendar year coinciding with a Year of Assessment shall constitute the basis year for that Year of Assessment e.g. the calendar year 2002 is the basis year for Year of Assessment 2002.

7. celia17

celia17 Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

I need your help.

I need to know about the rent for furnished/semi furnished 1 BHK flats in KL, mostly in Sentral or Brickfields area. And also, How much will be the utility bills like electricity, water, groceries etc.
    We are only two people, me & my husband. My husband has got an offer for 6000MR, but we have commitments here in india which consumes around 2500-3000MR.
    So, I need to know if We can manage out monthly expenses with 3000MR.
    Depending on your responses only, we can decide on accepting the offer.

pls help ASAP.

I have gone thru the whole post, some of the informations seems to be outdated and others are at high end. so, I am posting again
    Thanks,
    Celia.