Cost of living in Kuala Lumpur/Malaysia

Discussion in 'New to KL' started by t_sireesha04, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Neelimakotwani

Neelimakotwani New IL'ite

Re: Cost of living in Kuala Lumpur

Dear All,

Please help me with the above query. I hope someone will extend a helping hand in this regard.

Thanks & Regards,
    Neelima Kotwani.

2. ragini72

ragini72 New IL'ite

Hi Nilima

Iam ragini here, we may move to KL bu Aug-15

I hope you have settled in KL, i have not seen any ans for your query

Could you or anyone in this forum please let me know the avg cost of living in KL

Thanks
    Ragini

3. ishvickey30

ishvickey30 Senior IL'ite

hi Neelima,

Hv u reached to KL ?? where r u staying ??

Hi Ragini,

Living cost will come around RM 3000..

Rent - Rm 1500- 2000
    Grocerries & All utlity bill - Rm 1000
    Mob. depend on u - RM 100
    Travelling is affordable.. depend how far will be ur office if u take bus or train then 10- 15 Rm in a day...

hope it will help u some extent...
    HAve a nice day

4. Smitavivek

Smitavivek New IL'ite

Welcome to Malaysia :cheers
    Agree with Ishika,

just sharing my budget....(please note that i have 1 3yr+ old brat too :)))
    We are staying in subang jaya, condo name "subang avenue"

1) Rent (3+1)=2.4 k
    2) Grocerries= 2k
    3) mobile = 50 per person
    4) transport= around 100.

cheers
    :)

5. tetania

tetania New IL'ite

Hi Neelima
    I suggest you stay around the Brickfields area where most of the IT professionals from India choose to stay..reason being its more like India cos a lot of Indians stay there..the local grocer stocks a lot of fresh Indian vegetables,spices and your lentils. You name it and you can get it there.
    You can get a choice of up market condo with good facilities from 3 to 4K and the medium range apartments for 2K.. I find the food cost is more or less that of India..transport to the city and to other places is easier cos you have the Light Rail stations there.. Cabs and buses are readily available.
    You have to decide the kind of life you want to live here. If you want to save money then look for cheaper apartments at out of town areas.. With 10K you can live a good life here as you say you both don't have children now.
    If I were you I would look at Mont Kiara area where there is class living and get a car and drive around to get your groceries etc.
    You can always go to Lakshmi Narayan Temple(am presuming you are a Hindu) and make new Indian and local Hindu friends
    One thing I ask of you is to mix with the locals and not be clannish and stick with your own kind..
    We Malaysians are a caring lot and will always stop to help another
    So don't bother about budgeting and planning before you get here
    There a lot of condos for rent and you can have your pick
    So this is what we say in our language"Selamat Datang ka Malaysia" which means Welcome to Malaysia..
    Kamala

6. parasmanic

parasmanic Bronze IL'ite

Cost Of Living in KL

Hey All,

I moved from Dubai to KL ....n before I did everyone told us that KL is a lot cheaper than Dubai........:rantno ways....it is an expensive place....

THe quality of things as compared to Dubai is reallly bad but the pricing is higher (keeping in mind that aed is weaker n ringgit is stronger currency) :hide:..I kept searching for quality food stuff n ahve given up, fresh veggies are available in cold storage n alos in mercato or giant jusco etc, but other than that all other groceries are very expensive.

Taxi is cheaper than Dubai n i guess we have to put our feet down for metered one sometimes but its cheaper still.

School is complusory international for expats which again is on the expensive side....so before making any decision please visit the school website for fees & then make a decision

Weather is either hot n humid or raining so families with children need to keep clothing in mind which again is not available in all stores......Isetan n Parksons are resonable but gud clothing is only in Marks n Spencers for which u have to pay thru ur nose.....

Food is said to be Indian but is localised with the Malaysian Indian taste buds in mind........so again not much to test, dosa's are available in plenty but gud north indian food is a rare treat.......one such place is Bombay palace but again very expensive.....

All in all, the cost of living here is on a higher side......housing is also expensive for a gud locality else u ahve to compromise on amenities & a gud 2 bhk is available for 3 to 4k.

Cars are very expensive if compared to Dubai, but generally its o.k. LRT is nto connected in all areas as this is a big country so the choice of travel depends on destination...

For Indian stuff there are 2 popular stores Modern n Sri Kota both in Brickfields which as compared to other malls n grocery stores are a big let down in terms of interior but then u get whta u want...:)

Gleneagles is a gud hospital ........will be going there this month n will update about facilites also after the visit.

Salary, if housing is provided then shud be able to just make do (not save) in say like 6k to 7k but if u need to have a car, gud school, eating out often on weekends (in gud restaurants not food courts) then 12k to 18k is gud only if housing is provided....Else u need a sal of min 25k for the best of it all.

Ppl will disagree a lot with my views but please note this is personal point of view.......anyone needing to add theirs is most welcome to continue their experience n pls not make it a thread of personal comments n discussion:bowdown

:cheers
    Sonu

7. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Cost Of Living in KL

Hi Frenz...

Ofcourse, KL is a very expensive area... No doubts on it...:)

I was living in South India previously and compared to that all the things are expensiveeeeee and we dont get nice quality also(indian food,milk etc..)

Oh, the First thing I struggled when I came here, was getting adjusted to this ''Milk Powder'' or ''Condensed Milk''...... Cow's Milk which was the most used back at home seems to be an 'almost extinct' thing here.....
    I agree there are few milk man around, bt that one is not pure milk surely, they mix some powder....

I cannot agree that Public Transport using Buses, LRT, KTM etc etc are gud..... Because as Sonu has said, they are gud if u go from a main place to a center. Or else the connectivity is bad, for a place u take 15 min by cab, u wil take almost 1.30 hrs and change 2 buses or so, because there s no direct bus.........(Ex. USJ and Puchong.. neighbouring localities.. But if u choose public transport, then u r wasting time.....)

Hats off to our Indian Public Transport... One of the biggest road and railway networks we can be proud of.Connects every small village:bowdown:bowdown

But still there are few things which are least expensive.... As we are gng 2 be here, we should discuss abt the Positive Side of it.....(After all, there are 2 sides to a coin.....)

Positives::::)
    1.First thing coming 2 my mind, is Petrol is dead cheap here :thumbsup
    2.Then,I agree schooling for expats is costlier... But for Permanents in Malaysia, the government schools are sooooooooooo cheap and gud quality also..... Thats really a gift to locals......:thumbsup
    3.The food is more or less the same price in food courts......
    But got several restaurants which give the pure Indian Taste.......

(@Sonu-- Have u tried ''D Tandoor'' or ''Gems'' or ''Indian heritage'')
    These are restorans which gv real gud taste, bt I agree lot expensiive:bonk
    4.So, the gud one is we learn to cook ourselves very nicely with recipes from IL, I shud say they wil cum out lot better than the outside food + satisfaction of doin at home + less expensive

5. Many Branded shops for cosmetics, accessories..I shud say they r gud....
    6. Veg and Fruits are ok in the ''Wet Markets''.. Advantage is u can get lots of different variety of fruits compared to India.. Its time to try new things....:rotfl
    7. Ofcourse, Modern store is a boon for us......

So, lets focus on the ''Positives of Cost in KL'' - so that it soothes our hearts and share certain things we might nt know....

Hope the info was useful ...

Regards
    Preethi

8. preethiitech

Hi..

Lets focus on the positives of this thread ''Cost of Living in KL''...

So, please share the info that u know that wud help others...

Regards
    Preethi

9. parasmanic

parasmanic Bronze IL'ite

About cost of medical in KL

A pediatric cost u 180 myr for a wel baby visit no vaccination etc.....with the quality of service that is received i believe this is way too much.....the hospital is not spic n span in cleanliness.....there are really few gud hospitals mayb gleneagles, pantai n sunway...need to try the other two then can comment on their prof fees n cleanliness.

Medical in Dubai may make u bleed while paying but compared to the facilites n neatness i think its a very small price, plus appointment system has some meaning there n u r also treated well, sanitizer dispensers are in all corridors n docs r way tooooooo gud esp in welcare :thumbsup

Miss that abt dubai:bowdown

Sonu

10. preethiitech

Oh, Are the medical charges so high for the baby? Oh, my god, that is really hard and you say that you are not satisfied.. That is really difficult situation.

Now, I think, oh my God, I am planning here. and really became worried how it will all go?:spin

So, I request Jazz or Sonu, to please explain me the details of maternity in KL and the services that can be expected along with the cost involved. ( I have heard of saving for the child's future, you make me think of saving for the child itself...:rotfl)

I sincerely hope that Ms.JAzz can help us a lot, since she is more knowledgeable about the local stuff here than any of us.:coffee