1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Constipation Remedies

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Riyasmommy, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Prasu

Prasu New IL'ite

Re: Severe Constipation.

Dear Friends,

Sorry friends, My system was not proper, so could not reply. First of all, her diet chart is
    7:00 - milk - 5oz.
    9:00 - cereals, dosa, ragi, idli. she takes very little of this. namely 2 to 3 spoons
    11:00 - any juice
    1:30 - 4:00 - sleeps
    4:00 - some times rice(if she is active) / milk -5oz (if she is sleepy and crying)
    7:00 - dinner - what we have. sometimes curd rice.
    9:00 - milk - 5 oz.

She is very poor eater and always hyperactive. all my tricks to make her eat are into trash. I feel like sitting and crying to someone when she irritates me. othervise she is good and obeys me in most of things. i tried to feed her b4 sleep at 11:30 or 12:00. but she is very keen in juice and doesnt want to give up.

Now coming to her present condition, she is under medication for 5 days. she pooped on first 2 days. 3 day - nothing. and on today, she cryed, struggles, shouted for 1.5 hours and then pooped after i managed to give hot milk with tablet. her poop had 3 to 4 drops of blood. as it was sunday, and no clinic, me and my husband was sitting helplessly for 1.5 hours as she was crying like anything. poor girl. I struggled to feed her 3 oz of milk with medicine for 40 min. again need to take her to ped.

She is not at all interested in rice. when i boil vegetables and sit as if i am eating and enjoying them, she got carrot pieces from me and went to another room, later she came and asked for one more. this cont for 6 times. i thought she was eating. i felt happy, until i saw the carrot pieces on her dress in cupboard, that too neatly folded and stored inside. what should i do with this girl.

my only hope is idea from sunitha, to test with rasam varieties. Thanks for supporting me friends. waiting for some more ideas and tips. thanks in advance.

prasu,

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2008
  2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Prasu - I'm so sorry you are still having so much trouble with your little girl. Have you tried asking her pedi for a liquid medication to ease constipation? If she keeps having pain like this she will become afraid to pass motion and that will worsen the constipation. As for her diet - does she not like any fruits? Or veggies? Have you tried spicing up her food - rasam/sambar/kootu (presuming you are South Indian here)? How about mini idlis/mini oothappams/chappathis? Does she like eggs?
    In a child with constiaption of this duration the first thing is to get the bowel moving with medicines. At the same time implement a high fibre diet so that eventually you can withdraw medicines. Maybe you could get a second opinion from a different doctor.

Vanathi.

3. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    After seeing her chart,i feel her input is very less that she is not making proper output..Consult paedi and ask him to prescribe tonic to increase her appetite..

Do
    Give
    1.ghee/dal/rice
    2.Guava fruit
    3.Dates
    4.Lowfat milk-until she is alright
    5.idi/dosa/pongal
    6.Give fruits instead if juice

dont give
    1.white bread,maida
    2.Unripe banana
    3.Biscuits

Has she always been like this?If so then do a detailed examination of her digestive system..

4. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Hi Supriya,
    Low fat milk increases constipation.
    Thanks
    Mangai

5. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Hi Prasu,
    Work on one thing at a time.Now replace one feeding of milk
    How much juice does she consume ?Looks like she naps for about 21/2hours without taking lunch.
    Does she have any physical activity in morning ?
    First focus on lunch Try to feed some dhals, ghee rice Once she start likin them introduce vegetables.How about Sweet potato fries prepared at home ?
    Now once she starts eating lunch keep reducing the amount of juice.I think it will take some time to wean her off .Replace with some fresh fruits.
    Then work on evening snacks .
    Introduce lot of yogurt in her diet.Initailly try flaoured yogurt like peach, berries so she can get fibre.
    How much water does she consume on daily basis ?
    She needs lot of fat for development.Don't get stressed .Just keep fresh fruits in a plate in play area .She will start eating them eventually.Even if she doesn't eat don't stop preparing them.
    Hope she feels better
    Thanks
    Mangai

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  6. SupriyaDinesh

Hi mangai,
    To my knowledge,whole milk leads to constipation..i am hearing this new one from you that low-fat milk causes cosntipation..she is in India..diluting milk may help her child ease constipation..

7. SupriyaDinesh

Hi Prasu,
    check this link..it may help you

Constipation

8. Prasu

Prasu New IL'ite

Hello friends,

Thanks for all the ideas and links. That was very helpful. My daughter was not that troublesome before 3 months. She used to have oatmeal, tofu, cheese, veggies, upma, banana, curd, grapes, and some others. But now she has almost stopped all these things.

Yesterday, i managed to give her 1/4 apple and 3 dates. that helped for today and she pooped twice.

can i feed her ragi at this time. i hope to limit her milk only to 8oz for whole day. and increase orange juice.

she wants only icecream, fried potatos, juices and milk. The thing is that, she is starting with playschool tomm onwards. I request all my friends to share their kids diet. i have to prepare lunch and snacks for her. please share ur ideas for lunch box and snacks.

prasu.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2008
  9. SupriyaDinesh

10. meenu saini

meenu saini New IL'ite

hi my baby is 8 month and she has severe constipation ..............i tried this ...........pinch of ( mustard seed,kala nammak,jeera) all this..........than finely powder them and then mix with water and give to baby..............i think it will work.:thumbsup