1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Confused On Balanced Meal For My Toddler

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by aratisajjan, Oct 13, 2016.

1. aratisajjan

aratisajjan Bronze IL'ite

Hi mommies,

My dd is 20 months old and she weighed 8.5kg on her 18months vaccination which was same weight she had on her first birthday. She fell ill once when morals where erupting n must have lost some 100-200grams.
    I'm always concerned about her food intake n below is what she takes:

Breakfast: poha, rice items, dosa(2-3 times a month), Upma, daliya(does not like much)
    Lunch: 1 medium sized chapati with ghee and 1 small bowl curd, or 1 small alu paratha or paneer paratha( not regularly)
    Evening snack: 1 banana or 1 white bread toast, or biscuit dipped in milk(rarely)
    Dinner: rice with simple sambhar n ghee or veggi khichadi (not liking now)

I was going through daily menu thread n I feel I'm giving not a balanced food to dd..somehow I feel that's the reason she is not putting weight..I see problem majorly in lunch..other mommies incorporate veggies, protein in lunch, n I'm not..

Please let me know what changes I have to make in her diet..should I give rice in lunch also? She is picky eater, does not like egg, idly, pasta, sweet items. I cook managing her alone so please give me recipes which can be made in jiffy..

Thanks a bunch...worried mom :-(

2. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

I will not comment on weight as your doctor could have given better opinion
    As she is 20 months already, She can have the same food as ours with more or less same spices.
    you can give her fruits like pomegranate, orange or apple, dates, raisins, Chikkis.

Actually fruits increases appetite. Include her in more physical activity. Try with variety of foods, like kesari bath.

Instead of giving whole curd, try curd rice with pickle. wheat bread and jam sometimes, Idli, Dosa with chutney. Aloo with other vegetables mashed .

You can give rice all the three times. No problem in that.

aratisajjan likes this.
  3. SeekingMind

SeekingMind Silver IL'ite

I remember my older one used to eat very less, as a toddler and even I was worried at that time just like you now. Now, she is a teenager. And, even now she is the same. Time just flew by but even now I am concerned about her intake. All these years till now, her pediatrician kept telling me that I should stop bothering her with food:smirk:
    But, we moms never give up! :shakehead:

As per the food intake menu you listed, it looks just fine. Remember she is a toddler. At this age, they have growth spurts. When they have a growth spurt, they eat a little more. When the growth stabilizes their intake goes down. Body keeps regulating the intake like that. And, another important thing, their taste buds also keep changing. So, just keep changing whatever you make as per her. I understand its a challenge but that's how it is.
    Just make sure she eats atleast some fruit per day not necessarily complete the whole fruit, some veggies. Some days they don't eat these at all. Its still ok. I remember doctor telling me we should not go by each day, we should go by week. On a weekly basis if she takes in moderate amount of fruit, veggies, protein and carbs then that should even out and be fine.
    Also, some kids and even adults have high metabolic rate and they feel hungry very soon. But, some have little lower metabolism and so their intake is low and also less frequent.
    As long as she is active and playing fine, I don't think there is any reason to worry. Don't obsess on her weight. Each body is different. Some people are naturally in the lower percentile range but still considered healthy by the doctors.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Bubbles likes this.
  4. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op, You can include giving milk 2 times a day along with this. Also try adding veg to chapati's. Do not dilute her curds. The pediatrician I go to mentioned children need all the fat they can get from milk, curds. It helps in development. Never to go for fat free .If she likes try to give her biscuits, fruits anything she likes . Don't worry some people are poor eaters . Snacking in b/n is good for such kids.. Good Luck.

P.S Does your daughter take a nap during the day. I know it may sound ridiculous, but if she is napping and waking up refreshed then she can work up an appetite too . If she is not napping, then try to put her to sleep after an early lunch so she doesn't be up late in night.

Sparkle and momsky like this.
  5. aratisajjan

This time her pead was bit concerned about the weight..I am on weight loss mission so I have roti once a day, apartantly dd also eats that as she eats family food

6. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

Try to prepare for her separately.. Make sure she finishes decent quantity. Include her in some toys, sing the songs .divert and feed her.

Show the moon, some different games or items and feed. My daugher loved to play with water. So I used to give her 2 tumblers and water.. She used play with them while I feed. Get some books and crayons, make her scribble something, feed during that time. remember this will be for few days until they get bored. You should be creative enough in getting different things.

My DD was fussy eater, but I made sure she had decent quantity most of the time. She looks petite but of good height and average weight. It requires lot of patience. Sometimes it took hour time for her, So I had my food before her , this way I was of full energy to spend hr with her. Now she is 5 eats on her own. Sometimes I feed her while she does some coloring.

Include dates/ raisins/ chikis. If she doesnt like sweets, prepare some cookies yourself which is of less sweet. Requires lot of dedication. :)

Bubbles likes this.
  7. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

Hi @aratisajjan

these are very easy, so please give them a try

- boil 1/2 a cup of milk with butter or ghee, add enough cooked rice, and a small amount of sugar or jaggery 'till the whole thing becomes creamy

for lunch:

- cook multigrain/plain pasta in milk 'til it becomes very soft and the sauce a bit thick, add alot of cheese and a small amount of butter.. you can also mashed broccoli into this
    - make some chicken or vegetable soup, add rice or macaroni and cook 'til very soft.. if using macaroni, you can add sour cream into the soup to make creamy and cheesy.

dinner

- mix softly boiled egg with freshly cooked rice, add some cheese if you like.
    - peel and boil a potato, mash it, then add cream, salt, and cheese if you like..

Alternate them with regular food you make for her.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  8. SeekingMind

SeekingMind Silver IL'ite

Forgot to mention this in my earlier post, You have to check that she is not constipated. In US they say bowel movement once in 3 days is fine but in India doctors say once per day or still better twice per day. I always followed the Indian advice.
    Though milk, cheese,butter are good but make sure they are limited. Since kids at that age are growing they need dairy but overload of dairy causes constipation. And constipation reduces hunger.
    Make sure you use whole grains like brown rice in place of white rice, multi grain bread, whole wheat/multi grain atta, use ragi....make ragi malt give her instead of just plain milk , barley malt, and other such whole grains . In the beginning you can even mix brown rice and white rice and cook to get her started. Then eventually move to totally brown rice. Cook it till its very soft.
    With my younger one I have seen that her eczema got cured and skin condition improved so well only after I used all whole grains. Skin conditions and many other ailments are mainly due to lack of proper digestion said one homeo doctor in India.
    Also, at night time take buttermilk instead of curd. Curd only during daytime. Its hard to digest at night when the kid is not that active and that may lead to constipation too.
    So, over all you just need to make sure her digestion is good. Rest will fall in place.

Best Wishes!!

9. aratisajjan

Thank u...shall try whatever u have mentioned :)

10. aratisajjan

Thank u for giving me the recipes..unfortunately she does not like pasta, egg n no sweets :(