1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Confused.. How To Handle - Husband Wants Me To Leave Him And Baby

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by MindVoice, Jul 6, 2016.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Are you a doctor? You might be able to take the licensing exams while on H4.

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@MindVoice
    Like @Brevity has mentioned, the problem is beyond the milk.
    However, try to solve the closer problem.
    The closer problem seems to be in trying to make your child get into a routine and have enough time for hubby.
    I am not saying do the child stuff and also husband stuff... Start by maintaining a child routine, where you know at what time you DD sleeps/ eats/ wakes. This will give you time to build your schedule around it.
    In a relationship both the partner has to compromise to an extent, that's when it will work.

Don't start your baby on formula just coz your IL's are forcing you. And by the way untill12 months children who are on BM have a tendency toward good health through-out their life.
    If you gave birth in the US, did you get a chance to get a breast pump? You can pump and start your DD on bottle. 8 month is around the right age for the transition from breast to bottle feeding. (My friend delayed this process and her DS who is 2 and 1/2 years waits for her to be back from work just to be nursed)
    Again every child is different it doesn't mean you have to start bottle feeding. It is entirely your choice.

Make sure you start giving unified look of your family in conversation with your family/ his family and with him too... Things like we three will do..... Let us three plan to do this... Things like this will start to make him feel he is a part of a family right next to him.. ( not his parents who live in a different continent)

Make sure you insist and tell Mother of the child knows what's best! I have used this particular phrase and it has worked for me. Trust me this is a struggle. Especially for new mothers in the US. Because we lack family support, not saying your parents aren't there to help. But your husband doesn't see your parents helping or your family pampering him and casually saying whats normal and whats not.

The harsh reality even your husband knows is.. you won't leave him especially after a child. Therefore all this drama of just threatening you with an empty bluff. It is very hard for him to raise a girl without a mother. And if he has given a bit of thought about it, he will know. The childcare it self is very expensive. There is no way he is ready to loose a family, although he is saying things like leave without the child.

I can understand that your husband isnt a good at communicating, have you noticed that does he face the same problem with friends/ colleagues...?? How does he handle outside the house communication...? Because it seems like your husband is adamant in what he wants and doesn't want to tell you what he wants....??? It's like I want this... I will wait for it to happen if it doesn't I will throw a tantrum.
    Nobody can read minds not even his mother. When a child cries is when the mother knows the child is hungry. Tell him that you are not a mind reader, if he doesn't communicate and discuss things ahead it cant magically happen.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    MindVoice likes this.
  3. MindVoice

MindVoice Silver IL'ite

Thank you everyone, for you replies! I was down with fever, and could only read them and not reply then..
    A new development. We were totally avoiding each other, not even looking at each other. When I got fever, he found me checking my temperature and asked what happened. This was a blessing in disguise, I think. He immediately became concerned - about how to protect baby from getting it, feeding etc. He did not openly express anything pertaining to me but was gentle, and in our joint concern over the baby, this issue has now dissolved into a residual awkwardness - a kind of careful talking to each other. We are back to our old status, where we talk to each other only about what needs to be done/bought/cooked etc, a but a little more guarded.
    When he knew I had fever, he asked me to take tablet, and my temperature was >101 he asked if we can give her some formula, until my fever starts coming down a bit. I didn't hesitate, and told him yes. (This was the kind of emergency I had earlier agreed to for a formula feed) Even after I said yes, he said that it was only for that one feed, only till my temperature started falling, and then I can feed her properly. I nodded, and we gave her formula together. I was surprised by this response from him.

@Ragini25 had mentioned taking a legal stance, and I must admit that I have reluctantly considered this quite a while ago, especially in my postpartum period when I went through hell. After a lot of thought, I have decided that it would be worthwhile to try and reinstate my freedom, and get my life here. He is a good father, and my child deserves the attention of both parents. If I can get to have my life, I can survive here. If I cannot even have a life of my own, then there would be no point in staying put. So I am trying to handle these issues from that perspective. You are right, @iamsrihere. Your words are also my goal, but I I find it such a Himalayan task to ignore and to not care..I want affection in my home, I am too much of simple spirit, open type... I have to keep threatening myself in my mind. If I could do just this one thing, I would be such a different person already!

momsky and blindpup10 like this.
  4. blindpup10

@MindVoice
    I love happy updates! Make it work in your life, sweets. Good luck.

MindVoice and momsky like this.
  5. MindVoice

MindVoice Silver IL'ite

Yes, this was just a tipping event. We have issues like this over so many small things - but eventually I can only chalk it up to his reluctance to concede to my wishes, and wanting his way. And that again is one among many small..I am struggling to find the root problem.
    I know this in my brain, but find it so hard, I keep feeling guilty, or my pride stops me - dont want live off anyone.
    This is very good advice. I will try this. He never seems to think I am his family; its parents, then his child, neices and nephews and siblings - only the blood relatives. I am someone who loves being close to her extended family, as I come from one myself. But here I feel excluded.
    Doesn't work, in fact he has even resented me knowing so much. His idea is, his mom knows best. And then, maybe all his other friends who are raising kids.
    I am so glad you mentioned this, it is utterly relieving. I had though he was not the type to leave on a whim,but this follow up of his threat by calling his parents made me think maybe he meant it. I have always been afraid of this, that he might choose to take care of the child by himself and his mom, and I would be left in the lurch without my child and my marriage ruined.
    I thought this was his problem too. So I took efforts at communicating, but majority of situations, he hasn't even shown interest in discussing these things. As a couple, we have not discussed most things a couple should have, and should. I am eager to, but this cant be a one-sided conversation. Even the normal things like getting stuff for baby, he does by himself. He has never had communication issues at work, dont know much about his friends but can speak his mind very well, and is free with them. He is not an outspoken person, which is okay, but what am I to do if he refuses/avoids conversations?! I have explained that I am not a mind-reader, but he simply replied that I would understand him over time and moved on!!

6. blindpup10

@MindVoice- There is a saying in my family (loads of aunts)- First year of marriage is very important to establish what you want for next 50 years. It’s the same rule for the first year of becoming a parent.

It doesn’t matter who he considers knows the best. YOU insist and keep insisting you are the mother of your child and you know what your child needs. Because his mother gave birth to him 30 years ago (approximating the age), doesn’t mean she knows everything about your child. His mother didn’t give birth to your child. If your child cries, it is your heart that breaks. You keep insisting, it will sink in after awhile. It looks like he cares for the child. He needs time to understand that you are the child’s mother, advice from his mother/ SIL are just advice. He has to slowly disconnect from his family (which looks like will take awhile)

I have a baby around the same age group as yours and I kinda relate to what you must be going through… Therefore from my perspective, I did say that he is throwing empty bluff at you. Again, everyone is different and may act/ react differently.

First and foremost- your husband can't replace you with his mother. Even though he threatens to.. it just shows that he too hasn’t thought about it in detail-

1 MIL is old ( 60 years maybe give or take)

2 MIL is not your child’s mother.

3 Doesn’t she have a husband to look after/ SIL/SIL's kids?

4. What will your child learn from an old lady…?? How to lead a life in the US?

5. When your DD grows up.. Will your DD introduce your MIL saying meet my grandmother to her friends, instead of meet my mother?

6. Will your MIL drive her to school/ engage your DD once she starts to walk/ talk/ run and play? After 9th-month children are more active, an adult has to constantly keep and eye on them, they can open stuff/ put stuff in their mouth. You think your MIL has that kind of energy to maintain a growing child? You know children aren't pets, you can't say Sit and expect the child to sit and so the adult gets household stuff done.

7. Raising a child in the US needs a certain social skill, where you meet other children's parent/ library time/ active participation at school/ daycare- there are tons of social niceties that you learn from your child’s activity and vice versa.

8. Your MIL can feed your child/ bath/cloth your child. Emotionally your husband needs you to be an active participant to help your DD grown into a beautiful confident person. Not your MIL. Your MIL will be kidding to herself and to the world and playing doll with your child at an old age.
    9. Sometimes I feel my mother can't relate to what I am talking about, because of the culture difference and just that she doesn't belong to my generation. Imagine a 60-year-old communicating with your daughter.

Your child needs you, You are the mother, who can instill good things, positive things and nurture her. NOT HIS MOTHER. HIS MOTHER ALREADY TOOK CARE OF HER CHILD (who fails to communicate and doesn’t understand what you are going through).

Positive enforcement through action- where your husband sees you that you do things with your DD which his mother didn’t do or can't do with his child.

1. Buy children books and make sure you read it to the child. There is so many children book even for 8- 9-month-olds.

2. Play with your child. Play with their toys engages your child through play.

3. Talk to your DD. Yes, communication already seems like a big problem in your house, start communicating with your DD even though she can't respond… She will react to your positive talking...

4. I am sure you are playing children rhymes for your DD, sing along and watch children movies with your DD. (My DS love Winne the pooh- He is 9 month he smiles, giggles, and taps his feet at things he likes.)

When your husband sees your engaging positively with your DD, it may occur to him that things that cant be done by his mother.

Postpartum is hard and getting adjusted to the new identity for men is even harder ( suddenly they are made to feel like they have to responsible for everything/ with less of active participation in child's life).Emotionally some men are wound up. Its hard for such men to express or even think that “hey, maybe my wife has feelings too. Let me talk to her and know what she is feeling” .
    And some men are so used to seeing their parents lifestyle where the father does everything without any opinion from his mother.. they just want continuity of the parents relationship. When your husband says "you will understand me over a period of time"

With such men, it may help in long term – to have less expectation toward communicating- It doesn’t mean you have to accept everything he does.
    Have your opinion on things. Be strong with your opinion. Just say NO I don’t like this product. That’s it. Don’t nag about it, don’t use the product, don’t talk further, don’t adjust (looking at the price tag) Just say NO I don’t like it and leave it there. Don’t give explanations either. Don’t make him return it. You start to resist that he can't pick/ choose everything for the child and make you use it (just an example)
    At first, it will be hard for him to see the change (that is the reason he is calling everyone and blaming you in front of everyone)
    Divide the responsibility of the household and tell him you will take care of the house- shopping/ cooking/ caring. Tell him you will do a better job. If he doesn't listen, you just do it anyway... Ignore his comments/ fights.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    KashmirFlower and MindVoice like this.
  7. MindVoice

MindVoice Silver IL'ite

Dear @blindpup10 , your words are a balm for my bruised heart, all the more because they don't just comfort but ring with truth. I had been sidelined so much despite being my child's mother, that I have been - and probably still am - so insecure about this. By having a babysitter/nanny/daycare arrangement and his mom, my husband could comfortably dispense with me practically - or so I feared. Your words have pointed out the irrationality of my fears. And have encouraged me to assert my role.
    This is what I should do.
    I never intended him to disconnect from them, nor do I even now. I only want my own importance as wife solidified. I dont understand why its so difficult for men to give that importance to their wives, when women so easily do it to their husbands - and its not like we dont have fathers!! I am very much capable of caring for his family members and make them feel included. I only resent it when I am excluded, and my family ignored.
    This is great advice. I have already been doing this, although for baby's sake only. Now I know this can have a positive impact in one more direction.
    This is exactly the reason for our fallout - I have started doing this, and he is complaining, to his parents, and saying that I am headstrong!! And making mountains out of molehills!
    The storm has abated, and my husband has been nice - actually nice, and not getting upset when I've been unable to cook before he came home etc..but I am unable to relax as I'm unsure if this temporary (ie he's keeping mental tabs again) or if he truly understands and empathises.

blindpup10 likes this.
  8. blindpup10

@MindVoice- All new mothers go through some sort of family adjustments. Keep your chin up. You are doing everything right. Goodluck to you sweety.

MindVoice likes this.