1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Condoleezza Rice provides food for thought!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

sir,
    I keep my post only to the domestic issues.
    Can you let me know to which side I should 'support' when there is a fighting goes on between my mil and my kids?
    If I say anything to 'support' my kids , my mil will say 'what elders say is for the benefit of the children (paeriyava nallatthukku thaan solluva'.
    If I ask my kids to move away from the scene to avoid further clash of words between them, my kids accuse me of 'supporting her' and not supporting them or stand up for their rights?
    Nowadays I move from that place and distance myself from their clash.
    How is my idea?
    Sriniketan

2 people like this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lavanya
    How can I say no to you!:)
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

Dear Sriniketan
    Practically speaking, there are hundred ways by which the feelings of children can be mollified. I dont think that a grandmother would be critical of her grandchildren just for the heck of it. It must have some good intentions behind and you must be glad that she is supportive of you in moulding the character of your children. So I would recommend that the situation is managed tactfully so that the old lady doesnt feel hurt or sidelined!

I have also observed some grandparents who show extreme partiality towards some grandchildren. They derive pleasure by being very critical of the other grandchildren unnecessarily. Shoud unfortunately this be the situation in your case, you must tell your children to take it as motivation and rise above the others of whom she is very fond of !
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

I appreciate your advice and will follow according to what you had commented.
    Sriniketan

1 person likes this.
  5. Cheeniya

Dear Sriniketan
    I am glad you liked my advice and have decided to follow it. Let me assure you that I would never suggest anything which has not been tested by me and found useful!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  6. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Cheeniya - looks like we did not quite understand each others' viewpoints.

My point is that non-alignment cannot be taken at face-value. It is not always a "do nothing and perish in the crossfire" type of strategy.

A practititioner of non-alignment is not necessarily passive. ( As PV Narasimha Rao once said ).

And Condi Rice has her own motives for saying what she said, and these motives may not be in India's interest.

1 person likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

Dear vmur
    If Narasimha Rao had said so, there should be no further argument about it! He was one of the most active practitioners of Non-alignment particularly when the controversies were about him!
    Condi Rice's motives may be questionable or not, but I would prefer to be non-aligned about my views on her seeing that she has a number of admirers in IL starting from the one and only Hall of Fame member!
    Sri

8. uncannybal

uncannybal Senior IL'ite

Sir

When i ws in the USA i noticed that ppl do not respect ppl without any opinion. Newspapers, TV channels cannot succeed unless they have an opinion and support one or the other side. Non Alignment is looked down upon as a kind of cowardice. When you are in a group nobody ever remains silent since a silent person is not respected. A gasbag who speaks his mind out is more respected than a genius who remains silent. I think this is the source of this comment by Condy Rice

Santosh

9. Cheeniya

Dear Santosh
    What you say is very true indeed. Newspapers and TV channels stoop down to third degree methods to sensationalise their reporting. The kind of sting operations that the TV channels resort to these days would make Frank Moraes and Kasturiranga Iyengar turn in their graves! Today garrulity is a big virtue indeed!
    Sri

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

HAHAAHAHA.

I tell u Sri, u aer brilliant.I suppose soon u will be made the honory citizen of USA, for yr kind comments about Rice.HAHA.

Yes i agree one has to either take the wife's side or themother's, or the bosses to climb up.

You made me open my eyes at this age of 55.I must alignt somewhere.HAHA.

Superb Sri.

Regards.kamal

And i am just hving my drink at 9 pm and it is tasting better than scotch.Cheers Sri