1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Compassionate Kalyani

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by beautifullife30, Oct 3, 2022.

1. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

The past six months of my life have been quite hard. And the past three months have been unbelievably tough. The kind of things that I am forced to deal with are very hurting and painful. The only consolation for me in this is my entire family is with me on my side and travelling in the same boat. Instead of blaming each other, we are trying to stay together and fight it through.

Even with their unconditional support there are moments I go into this dark place. An abyss so dark that I feel like I am this lonely soul on a deserted, marooned island, unable to see light in any direction. When I look up, I see these heavy dark clouds stretching in all directions, all the way till where I can see without an end. Sometimes, I wonder if I walked into this situation blindly without thinking but other times, I know I didn’t have much choice but walk here with eyes wide open. There are moments when I lose complete hope and feel abandoned. In those moments, my mind is my own enemy. How does one beat a mind which creates terrible situations with nightmarish outcome?

I work like a well-oiled machine, doing my tasks on time irrespective of what keeps going in my mind. The only hindrance I face is when I am forced to give my heart and soul to complete any particular task … like my music class. For the past few weeks, I have been postponing the class or calling in sick and letting my son attend the class alone. Uttering just the Sa of the Sa Pa Sa was such a mammoth task. How do I gather the energy and enthusiasm to sing when my mind is filled with worry? How do you sing when you can’t get a word out to speak your thoughts out?

I guess my teacher had enough of my escapism and she put her foot down during the last class when she said she would not take another class without me in it. So, I prepared myself to sit through the class, but I had no clue how I would get through till the end. And true to my fear, I choked up. My throat wouldn’t just open, and tears started flowing. I had turned off the video to spare embarrassment of giving some excuse. And so it went for the next 40 mins. And my teacher suddenly said that she would teach a new Geetham. A new song…ah! Just what I wanted was all I could think. And I closed to eyes and resigned myself to 20 more minutes of croaking and choking.

We began with the Arohanam and Avaroham of Kalyani and it took me a good 5 minutes to understand the placement of Ma since it is Ma 2 and for those precious minutes I was completely zoned into Ma 2 and mastering it. Once done, she proceeded to tell us that the Geetham she wants to teach is Kamala jadala and she began to sing the song.

And just like that Magic began. Oh what a magic it was. I got lost right in those initial notes. But this time being lost was the best thing that happened to me. The music just poured into me and made me feel light as a butterfly. The notes just went deep into these tiny crevices of my heart and pulled out all those sad, hard, and heavy thoughts out of me. The notes tugged and tugged until it was just me and the song alone but this time in a bright space and with me doing cartwheels around and around until I felt dizzy with happiness. Nah…contentment! Life felt right again. It looked beautiful again. Not that it lacked any luster before, but my pain filled eyes and heart could not appreciate it as much as it deserved.

Maybe it’s the song or the raaga or probably both. Both do equal justice to being the best. I am now in awe of Purandara Dasa. Imagine being able to be in a state of writing such a melody; breathing life into those lines by stringing them together in the raagam Kalyani. Ah! Specially this line “D D D | G G G , “ – Karuna Sharadheee gets me everytime.

After the class was done, I couldn’t get the notes out of my mind. And honestly, I didn’t want to as well. So, I started researching on Kalyani raagam. I came across a few blogs where they described Kalyani as a compassionate raagam – a motherly love. I couldn’t agree more. Imagine a mother running her hand over our hair lovingly again and again while whispering ‘its ok dear….i am here. Don’t worry’ – that’s how calm I felt. They say raagas can sway your moods. If there is a category for a complete raaga which brings contentment, then for me personally, that would be Kalyani. I recorded the swara notes in my mobile and have been listening to it when I feel myself slipping into the abyss of melancholy. Not that I turn into this cheerful, bubbly, and vivacious personality but I definitely feel x100 times better. I feel life conquerable, livable, and beautiful.

Rihana, Mistt, Srama and 7 others like this.

2. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

beautifullife30,

You have presented another beautiful blog, this time with a tinge of melancholy, but in the end positive vibes repel it. As you described your situation, the life is full of trials and tribulations, boredom and melancholy, anxieties and apprehensions, nevertheless, there are aspects that make it beautiful. As is in your case, music is a great enchanter, which can relieve your pains and buoy hopes afloat. Some people take solace in religion, and there are different ways of getting relief for different people.

As for myself, reading classics gives me enormous pleasure. Like you, and why only you, like most of the people, I was feeling very dejected, but then I got the classic, The Count of Monte Cristo written by Alexandre Dumas. When Edmond Dantes was cast into the dungeon for fourteen years without even knowing what his fault was, he wanted to commit suicide. But then he met Abbe Faria, who taught him everything, gave him the location of a treasure, but most importantly gave him the mantra which transformed him. The mantra was "Wait and Hope", and this was the same mantra which the Count of Monte Cristo (Edmond Dantes) taught Maximilian Morrel, who was almost on the verge of committing suicide, for he was grief-stricken by the demise of his betrothed.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  3. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

Hang in there !! Music has the power to heal. Let the tears flow down. You will feel light.
    Kalyani ragaam is beautiful.

4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Dear @beautifullife30
    To build an Edifice, one needs to lay strong foundation.
    In Your post here - you had done it exactly that. Kudos.

Yes music east or west - in general has the power to dissolve depression,
    dilute tension and brings clarity of thoughts to get at solutions to seemingly mammoth problems and insurmountable issues.

Yes you are absolutely on dot. Of hundreds of popular ragas in both carnatic and hindusthani, kalyani has the special power to eliminate load off one’s chest. My son was listening to the tape and later in UT to alapana in kalyani of keerthanai “ etha unnara” rendered by Padmasri Dr Yesudas almost daily several times for over an year. He had experienced the power of Kalyani.

HE CLAIMED it has given him robust mental health. Yes once he was roaring like lion and used to get enraged at the drop of a hat and remain confused over simple issues of several kind. But after he began listening to Kalyani - Alap, i noticed his attitude by and changed by and by to better and known now for his aplomb.

A set of raggas listened regularly daily at a particular time known for rendering the listener not only enthralled but heals headache, pain, control sugar, repairs BP ETC. RAGA RESEARCH centre established by Kunnakudi comes to mind.
    Dr TV Sairam is the President of the newly-formed Indian Music Therapy Association in India, besides being the President of Nada Centre for Music Therapy. Kunnakudi wrote an article published in the hindu in which he had staed interalia the diseases which can be treated. Excerpts below:
    upload_2022-10-3_23-4-40.jpeg

upload_2022-10-3_23-6-2.jpeg
    upload_2022-10-3_23-6-50.jpeg

beautifullife30 and Anisu like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

In continuation of my fb above at#4.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

beautifullife30 likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Melodies for maladies
    This article too analyses power of music in all its dimensions.
    There was a debate among intellectuals as to which has higher efficacy - listening to carnatic music or regular yoga regimen?
    It is said “Rdhythm of the body and melody of the mind and harmony of soul creates symphony of life”.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    beautifullife30 likes this.
  7. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Dear @beautifullife30 ,

First of all, thank you for sharing your personal heartache with us through this beautiful snippet. Sending you lots of good thoughts and hugs. Hang in there. Things will get better. I could relate very much to your post being a music lover myself. I have always thought of Kalyani as a regal, uplifting ragam but thanks to you I will now listen to it with a new appreciation. If you haven't listened to Etavunara in Kalyani by Saint Thyagaraja yet, do give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

beautifullife30 and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

@Tamrakshar @Anisu @meenasankaran

Thank you for those kind words. I wanted to personally respond but i am not in that place yet. Still reeling and trying to make sense of things at my end. Thanks again for your encouraging words.

@Thyagarajan

Sir, without your fb, my threads would be incomplete. thanks for taking your time out and writing such heartwarming comments.

@iyerviji

Vijima, thank you for your nomination. As i mentioned earlier, my posts gain attention and appreciation because of you. :worship2::worship2:

iyerviji likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Feel greatly honoured. Thanks sister.