1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Collectors All !

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SCSusila, Aug 10, 2017.

1. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

As children we collected things that became precious to us .

Stamps, matchbox labels , perfumed nylon erasers , hairclips , greeting cards , comic books .

Then we outgrow such things ( except some, like stamps, that can become interesting hobbies at any age too ).

Yes, we outgrow Things . But we dont outgrow Collecting .

Collected things are lost . The desire to collect is not lost.

As adults too we collect.

We collect sarees , souvenirs , books , jewels .

And we collect years .

Then,

We collect friends .

We collect experiences .

We collect memories .

We collect punyam .

I have a memory from a very long time ago , when I was studying in middleschool .

For summer holidays , we had gone to our uncle's house to spend time with our cousins . The parents had left us with our grandmother and gone to see a movie . All of us were sitting around Grandmother's Easychair and looking at a cousin's stamp collection and talking of what all collections we each one of us have and which is the ' bestest' .

Then one of us asked : " Paati , what do you collect ? "

Without even a minute of thinking , she said " I have the bestest collection ! I collect love "

And she spread her arms out . We all hugged her tight because we all loved her so much .

Now , as I am getting old , I often think of Paati's collection. It is indeed the Bestest collection of all , the one that keeps growing as you keep giving. A collection that can never be lost .

Now-a-days, I am collecting , collecting and collecting.

kaniths, Sandycandy, venlax and 13 others like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wow Susila, you surely have a knack for writing snippets that say so much in few words, so eloquently, and without too much of your own opinion in it, so we can think on the thought-provoking topic too.

We collect punyam, memories, experiences, friends... so true.

My current collection is emails from friends that I send or get for no reason. Now and then we send each other a surprise email, even if we have been talking by phone, chat frequently enough. Looking at those a few weeks later also brings a smile.

3. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP, I am becoming a fan ! I love your write-up and the bigger font :smile:

So true, we are collectors at all ages, just the items change! I am collecting most of the stuff you mentioned; love to collect ethnic wear & jewelry, crafting supplies, decor, makeup ;) and did I mention some occasional paap (debits) alongside punya?:tired: Though that's an unintentional, non cherished, untracked collection, but it is a collection!

Sandycandy and SCSusila like this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Such a nice write up. And I tell you what, grandmas do make this collection

seem so easy! I absolutely love both my grandmas and we all, cousins, uncles, aunts, grandkids and more get together just because of my grandma's love :)

Sandycandy, SCSusila and shyamala1234 like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

What a lovely snippet.
    I especially love this:
    I think that is what all should collect. Not only collect but also give to others.
    Each of us is capable of giving and taking love.

Reading that statement was a like this :smash2: , truth hitting hard on my head!

I agree with @Rihana
    You have a lovely way of writing - crisp, simple, interesting and profound. All at the same time. It is indeed a great gift.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Beautiful snippet, @SCSusila. Grandmothers are the best! :hearteyes:

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear @SCSusila

Love is the best and everlasting collection. My mom also was an example to this. Not only her children, grand children and great garland children, even whoever came in contact with her loved her.
    PS

8. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

@Rihana
    Thank you ! I just write what thoughts come to me , i dont konw its some "knack" and all :) glad you like it .

whether old type handwritten in paper , or emails , letters exchanged among friends and loved ones are always cherished and make a lovely collection .

Sandycandy and Rihana like this.
  9. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

@Naari ,
    Becoming my fan ? Oh my dear , you are putting so much ice on my head ! Thank you somuch for the kind words .

Paap collection is unintentional only , it may collect like dust under furniture . Let us clean it up now and then and not think of it :) Lets only concentrate on collecting punyams ! :)

Sandycandy and Naari like this.
  10. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

@Srama ,
    So very true , isnt it . Our grandparents are our best treasures !

The only thing equal to a grandparent's love is a grandchild's love ! I should know because am a grandmother myself now ! :)

kaniths, Srama and Sandycandy like this.