1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

"Cognitive Bias on Sexual Mind Reading" - Have you ever faced it in men around you ?

Discussion in 'Intimacy' started by indianguy2010, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

I landed up in a research paper, on “cognitive bias on sexual mind reading”, by chance. But, it happened to an extremely interesting stuff. Then, I searched on further material on it and read it fully. You also can google with the above (blue) search words and reach the material.

In simple terms, let me explain what that bias is : A woman is moving little friendly with a male acquaintance of her, either her husband’s friend or colleague, or her brother’s friend…………or any other male acquaintance at office etc, She talks with him often , discusses her work related issues with him, simply because he finds him decent and trustworthy. She has nothing other than a mere platonial (non-sexual) friendship with him, on her mind…………just similar to what she has with her girlfriend. But, that man misinterprets her platonial interactions with him, as ‘high sexual interest’ in him. Assuming so, he starts making verbal advances to her. He also starts sending courtship gestures to her, in body language also. Later, he sends suggestive smses. The woman gets bewildered and scared. Now, not knowing how to stop the advances, the woman feels threatened. Finally she discloses that man’s advances to her hubby………..the story goes on like this.

Clinical Psychologists term the above said male acquintance’s over – inferring of the woman’s normal interaction with him, as a ‘high sexual interest’ on him, as an adaptive behavior rather than an irrational one.

Reading the above paper, first thing, I asked my female colleagues (with whom I can comfortably talk this stuff) whether they have ever faced this bias from a male acquaintance of them. To my surprise, all of them flatly denied, ever having encountered such a situation from any man. I doubt the honesty of their answers. Because, if they said, “yes”, naturally, my next question would have been, “who are those men?”. Fearing this second question, they probably , out rightly said, they never faced such a situation.

But, this Website being an anonymous one, where we do not and can not know each other’s real identity, I think, I can ask the members………how often you have faced the above said situation with a male acquaintance of you………..and how often it went to the extent of, possibly, messing up your married life.

Two Foot Note points :-

1) I agree, that no such behavior , as the above, can be generalized to the whole gender of men. Certainly, not all men behave the above way.

2) Request to the Moderator :- I exactly do not know where to start the above thread. Hence, chose this section of “Married Life”. In my perception, it has some relevance to married life. However, if you feel, it is not a thread, relevant to this section, you can move this thread to the section, which you feel relevant. Thanks.

2. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

Re: "Cognitive Bias on Sexual Mind Reading" - Have you ever faced it in men around yo

I think this exists.. But somehow i dont want to term the woman innocent or a confused soul because any woman has instincts to realize that some one is not taking the friendship on a platonic level. I also think that we all have the decision making capability to steer clear from such advances.

how often you have faced the above said situation with a male acquaintance of you

And for your question, yes i have faced such situations at times..
    1. It was from a class mate of mine, who started taking disadvantage of me being nice to him. - I began to ignore his presence and made it clear to him that i wont take his advances.

2. It was from a very elderly person - initially i thought may be i am wrong but eventually things became clear that his intentions were not well meant. I make sure i am not alone around him. I make sure my husband is with me, whenever i have to go to his place.

3. It was from a co-worker. He didn't make any advances but we both had developed feelings for each other but it all started and ended on a platonic level. Though We enjoyed lot of similarities and interests, Both he and I knew our relationship couldn't go far. Though we both chose to remain good friends, we couldn't be, we both had strong attraction towards each other. For his good (since he was single), I choose to cut contacts with him. I really hope that he finds a beautiful girl and leads a happy life.

1 person likes this.
  3. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

Re: "Cognitive Bias on Sexual Mind Reading" - Have you ever faced it in men around yo

Yes, I agree.

I guess it's just human nature.

On one hand, women are encouraged to smile. If they don't smile, they are criticized. On the other hand, if a man mistakes that smile for something non-platonic, women are blamed for it.

1 person likes this.
  4. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

That's a nice post IG. Yes, I have faced the same thing in my life too.But the thing is I was not threatened, I just told him clearly that he doesn't know how to balance a friendship and so I want to cut off the friendship.

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I have had this happen when I was younger but I always attributed it to my view that some males will feel that ANY but the most distant interactions means they have a chance at sex. They are always on the make.

Now recently I have had some offshoot of the phenomenon that you are talking about but in a very different way. I work in a department with four fulltime workers and many workers that come in throughout the day in a parttime basis. My other three fulltime coworkers are my boss (A) and a subboss (B) and another worker (C) all of whom are men. Now B and I have a basic noncompatibility if not to say mutual animosity. C however is a guy whom everyone likes and who is the go-to guy over B who should be in that role. C and I both have the same silly sense of humor and would kid sometimes and occasionally some small talk. Then all of a sudden B, who is a trouble maker, starts saying that C and I have some special friendship meaning bordering or actually an affair (which was not in either of our minds). C, who is no saint, has never made any move in that direction with me and I certainly had no idea of that either. The upshoot of this is that C and I now keep our distance so that B cannot create any trouble for us in our dept.

6. indianguy2010

Hi Riya,

What you said above is true. Every woman has the instinct to realise that the man opposite to her is making advances to her. That is why she cuts it off.

The instances 1 and 2 you quoted in your post are clearly evidences of 'cognitive bias in sexual mind reading'.

But the instance 3 is a different one, because, you too got attracted to him. Instance 3, as you mentioned is beyond the purview of what we are talking here. It is an affair in beginning, which you consciously took efforts to nip in bud. Anyhow, I sincerely appreciate your honesty and courage in admitting it. :). Very few women admit it so courageously, as you did it here.

7. indianguy2010

Hi zzz,

It is true, when a man mistenly assumes a woman's friendliness as 'high sexual interest' and makes advances to her, a part of the community around her, blames her.

8. indianguy2010

Okay, fine, Hemalatha. He was a co-worker ? (tell it if you are comfortable, or else, you can leave it)

9. indianguy2010

Hi Tashi,

Thanks for the above information.

10. indianguy2010

Hi Riya, Zzzz, Hemalatha & Tashi,

Thanks for your above contributions....to the instances where you were in a Man's above said bias towards you.

I was expecting, either of the four of you, would have asked, "Okay IG, tell us, how often / have you ever developed this bias in sexual mind reading towards any lady in your workplace or community nearby ?" . I thought, if some one has asked this, I would have shared , the other side of the story with you four. That is, an instance of how a man can so quickly develop this bias to a woman acquintance of him in work place or in social circle. :)

But, to my surprise, you all kept quiet. It seems, it is not a matter of your curiosity, hence, I chose not to share how , as a man, I was into this Bias, towards some women acquintances of me......and how it affected their interactions with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.