1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cockroach Rights

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Jul 31, 2016.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Last month our friend Shri Viswamitra was religiously fighting for mice and rats that are used in pharma research.
    Now the research world is talking about cockroach milk.Does it look funny?

A little cockroach milk with those cookies?Full of protein, the insect milk may someday be transformed into a food supplement worthy of human consumption, new research indicates.

Scientists have discovered that a special species of cockroach' the Pacific Beetle Cockroach' feeds its bug babies a formula which is remarkably rich in protein, fat and sugar.
    It may take a few years to find'cockroach milk' in the dairy section of Departmental Stores.It might have a stylish name unconnected with cockroach.
    "Any liquid harvested from a cockroach is not true milk. At least not as we think of it," said a director of museum in US.
    Most people would agree. After all, the insect liquid takes the form of protein crystals in the guts of baby cockroaches.
    The protein crystals are milk for the cockroach infant. It is important for its growth and development.It is said that the crystals have a whopping three times the energy of an equivalent mass of buffalo milk, about four times the equivalent of cow's milk.
    [​IMG]
    The cockroach is one of the hardiest creatures on the planet; it can live for a month without food.
    Actually the research is conducted in Crysallography lab.
    This is the only species of cockroach known to be viviparous -- able to bring forth live babies that have developed within the mother's body, instead of the mother laying eggs to develop outside her body.
    Like other viviparous creatures, this species of cockroach nourishes its growing embryos with a protein-rich liquid secreted by its brood sac -- the semblance uterus.
    [​IMG]
    Crystal cockroach milk.
    Soon after the embryo ingests the liquid, protein crystals develop within its midgut. These crystals have been examined thoroughly for the nutritional value and it has been found to be a complete food. It contains proteins, amino acids lipids and sugars-the essential ingredients of a food in total.
    The energy content is so high that it helps infants within this unique species grow much bigger than cockroach babies of other species.
    Though the crystal formation may seem surprising, other crystals, including insulin, take shape within the body for easier bodily storage -- and it could have potential for human consumption, the research suggests.
    So, how do you milk a cockroach?
    The crystals are currently extracted from the midgut of cockroach embryos -- perhaps not the most efficient way of feeding a growing world population.
    A bio engineering process may be required to milk a cockroach.
    The research scholars have tasted a bit of this cockroach milk and say it tastes like ice cream with honey.
    Our mind refuses to link the two facts-the cockroches that are moving freely around the drains and toilets and a milk food that is labelled healthy and nutricious.But the insect that can survive a nuclear war may someday provide liquid super tasty food.
    I don't know Animal/insect activists may lift the banner in support of cockroaches too.
    The world is advancing so much that we may one day accept the fact that the specimens whom we hate to see move around our baths ,will be accorded a warm welcome among mothers.

Normally even women ,branded bold and courageous scream at the sight of cockroches and women's intolerance is often quoted as example of difference between'react and respond'.
    Can we expect womenfolk, at least after ten years, to 'respond' positively to cockroach milk that may may have a good shelf life and may possess a fanciful brand name as' CR milk'-to denote either cockroach or'confidentially ranked' milk product.

Once it reaches the dairy section all stories about cockroach will vanish giving rise to super fine healthy smiling babies on the cover.

Jayasala 42

Ramanigayathri likes this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

EEEEEKS!!!!! I can only hope and pray that I am never be born again on this earth. I would not like to be fed with anything from cockroaches.

Generations of humans have thrived and multiplied (even caused a population explosion and ruined the planet) well enough without all this stuff. Then why the sudden need for something so weird?

3. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Wow! Thats definitely a piece of news that gave me mixed feelings Jayasala madam. Just last week, we spent quite sometime in spraying Hit in all nooks and corners of the kitchen and cursed the modular kitchen that gave a lot of unreachable hideouts to them.

Strangely, for the next couple of days, we didn't see any cockroach at all and couldn't spot any dead ones either. My wife was hugely relieved to see a bunch of dead ones in a far dark corner later. But this thread takes me to something else - tapping any and everything useful for us from anything that we know, exist? Yikes. Why can't we try tapping our own potential to be better overall? Nice post. -rgs

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaya,
    In fact I shuddered and felt like throwing out the lunch which I had before reading the news.
    PS

Kamalji likes this.
  5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaya,
    Cockroach milk ? HAHA
    never heard of it, but women are so scared of cockroaches, to imagine them having that milk for their babies, it will be worth seeing.
    what people will come up with to make a few bucks eh !
    Ugh !!!!
    Regards
    kamal

6. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Jaya Mam, interesting snippet. Cockroach is the only insect that scares me and makes me run away as if my pants are on fire. I scream loudly at the sight of it. And flying cockroaches are the worst for me.
    I am not looking forward to this milk. At least not in life.

shyamala1234 likes this.
  7. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

what a freaking news this is Jaya Mam..huh! don't tell me one day Ill pick a fancy tetra pack of nutri-rich milk from the counters and that's supposed to be of roaches..Gosh!

8. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Dear Jaysala!
    Next generation will have cockroach power ??!!
    It has been said that in the case of total annihilation only cockroaches will survive. This way humans will too !!!!

9. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks RGS, Pushpa, Kamalji, Parineetha, Akanksha ,Shobamma and Satchitananda for your kind responses.
    I wonder how Research spreads its wings .After some 15 years when young mothers have a healthy baby food in tins and packs, the roach story would have gone to the background.
    Many of the milk sweets are covered with a silvery wrapper and are eaten with delight by all of us. There was a TV show how these thin silver sheets are made.The essential content is the pig intestine which is subject to so many changes until it is transformed into a thin sheet.
    Why talk of sweets? All the capsules ine pharmaveutical farms are made of animal skins alone till date and vegetarian capsule is costly and a rarity.
    Jayasala 42

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I have the highest respect for cockroach that has existed since pre-dinosaur days and soldiered on to survive up to the modern age of homosapiens. But cockroach milk? Sorry not for me for two reasons. !) I am not conditioned to consume insect products When I learnt that the kesari colour of rave kesari comes from the crushed bones of a beetle, I stopped eating it. Number 2, thisw milk will probably cost more than caviar or truffles and that would mean a big whole in my bank balance..