1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Clueless

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Nov 11, 2017.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

"You'll remember my words when you are older" she said. The thought made me uncomfortable - the thought of losing her, the thought of missing her and the thought of not having her to keep saying things to me - never mind the fact that I would choose what to listen to and what not to.

I remembered yesterday. These occasions are increasing. Only there is no sorrow, no grief, no pain, just simple observation of the fact that I am remembering in various contexts. Yesterday it was with considerable amusement. 'Vivaram poradu' (not totally clued in) came back to me.

I was supposed to meet some friends over lunch on Friday. Suddenly I saw a sheet of paper pinned on the board in the teachers' room asking us to register for the morning or afternoon session on how to teach phonetics with lunch thrown in afterwards. Oops, I'd have to readjust my plans with my friends. Feeling very sheepish and guilty (we had been working on finding a suitable time since long) I whatsapped them and said I'd join them after lunch.

I woke up in the morning and took an auto to work. While sitting in the teachers' room, I asked if the colleague who was going to be doing the seminar had arrived. The language dept head just shrugged his shoulder. I was wondering why all of them were still sitting around. Didn't we have to go upstairs? I mentioned something about the seminar and another colleague asked 'There is a seminar today?' "Yes, the one on phonetics" I replied. "That's not today, it is on the 24th replied the language head. Did you not fill in the sheet?" Of course I did and that is why I had come. Only I had not checked out the date on top. Friday was two days away when I filled in my name. So I came that Friday. Now I would have to wait 2 whole weeks in the teachers' room for the seminar! :p

'Gals, I am coming for lunch today. Am on my way home. Seminar is on the 24th. Vivaram poradu.' I whatsapped them from the auto on my way back home. That's what my mom would have said in an exasperated tone! So I said it to myself. :blush: Maybe she is saying it from whereever she is and is transmitting it to my head. Her way of telling me she is there with me.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchitananda,

Entertaining snippet as ever.There are so many'vivaram poraathu' people in the world.That includes great veterans like Johnson and many MDs and Chairmen who are normally branded as 'samaththu poraathu' by their matriculate wives.This normally happens when we take midnight flights after 12midnight.The next date would be printed as date of journey.We have a tendency to combine midnight with the date of travel and it never occurs that after 12 hrs midnight, as per Rly and Flight authorities next morning starts.Invariably we mistake the date of journey as the next day.

This happens in banks also.Suppose a FD matures on 24th November and if you go on 22nd or 23rd they say"come on due date or your FD is likely to be misplaced.If you tap at their doors just at the opening hrs at 8.30A. M. on 24 th, the gates would not have opened.You wait at their door steps.Wait for half an hour.It takes time to streamline the computer.The girl at the counter asks you what you have come for.You hand over the FD and say you want to close and get the proceeds.She checks with the computer and says that it has been renewed for three more years .
    " She says that the system does it.At the stroke of midnight on 23rd, 24th day starts and all the FDs maturing on 24th get renewed unless they receive contrary instructions.She never bothers to listen to your lamentations of your visit the earlier day.
    yaarukku vivaram poraathu? Is it to you, or the counter clerk or the computer?
    The 'vivaram poraathu'( not that smart) people get things achieved very easily under the same pretext.They are smart enough to be purposely branded as 'not that smart' to shirk from important responsibilies and subsequent blames associated with responsibility.
    Now tell me "is it not a blessing to have a title"samaththu poraathu' , simply get away and return after the main job is done?'

Jayasala42

3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Read somewhere that learning French improves your memory. I think it is true Beause after learning French my memory became really sharp. Maybe German can causee memory loss. I am still struggling between my accusatives and datives in German. I don't think that is conducive for a sound memory.

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  4. satchitananda

Dear JS Ma'am,

Thanks a lot for the encouraging reply.

5. satchitananda

Oh Balajee! Je ne sais pas! I am happier accusing and dating in German. Maybe it will take some time to get used to the French way of saying things!

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

Merci Boku/Vielen Dank for your excellent snippet. How many days I missed participating in a conference call because of the mix-up in dates? At least in your case, you arrived 2 weeks before the seminar and I missed out on conference calls and seminars.

For every intelligent girl/woman, there is a mother telling her that she could do better and for every intelligent man, there is a wife telling him that he could do lot better. I used to joke that I have outsourced my conscience to my wife as she is always good to tell me where I am going wrong.

Nowadays, I am working so hard to reduce my weight walking at least 5-6 miles a day and slightly trying to jog for a few seconds without raising my heart rate too much. She sends me a joke:

"Research has shown laughing for 2 minutes is as healthier than 20 minutes of jog. Now, I am sitting in the park and laughing at those who jog."

Viswa

satchitananda likes this.
  7. satchitananda

Mya idea hai sirji! You choose to sit in the park and laugh at other joggers and conveniently shift the blame on poor wife!!!:roflmao:

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,
    Oh what a confusion! Due to mix of dates We would have missed the flight to US. All these flights are always scheduled after midnight.
    Our good luck my niece rang up in the afternoon on the day we had to leave to wish us bonvoyage and I told her we would be leaving the next night. She told me to check up the ticket to make sure.
    OMG! We had to leave that night only and I had to call my daughter to help me in setting things at home hurriedly.
    PS

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Viswa,
    Glad that I am having company in mixing up dates.
    Your Wife's idea is fantastic. In stead of jogging sitting in the park and having a hearty laugh looking at the people who are jogging really seems to be a good idea.
    I too want to try this by sitting in the balcony and watcing both in the morning and evening people who are walking and jogging to shed a few kgs.
    PS

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear @jayasala42 ,
    "Vivaram porathu" could be used as a ruse to shirk responsibilities.
    Regarding the auto renewal of Bank FD, the depositer has the option to cancel it within seven days if he so desires. We had used this option.
    PS