1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Children towards religion

Discussion in 'Indians in California' started by Clari, May 23, 2010.

If there was an online sloka teaching service, would you prefer to use it?

1. Yes, ofcourse will be happy to enroll my children

34.6%
  2. Will consider it, depends on cost and comfort

55.6%
  3. No, it's not the same or not interested

9.9%
  1. Clari

Clari New IL'ite

Hi, After getting setled abroad, would you still be interested in teaching your children Hindu God's slokas and mantras?
    This has been of recent interest to me because these slokas not just mere collection of lines but have the potential to impart rich knowledge and meaning. We are loosing a great deal by forgeting them, I feel. What do you people think? And another intersting fact is that, many foreigners are interested in learning slokas. What is your view on it???:)

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

I live in bay area, CA. I know lots of kids from India learn solkas and attend BaLa Vihar.

My kids are grown up, but hwn I was young I told them to have faith in God.

I used to put my pay checks, tickets etc in the puja room. Even though they live here for a long time, I found out they do the same thing.

I learned the solka without knowing the meaning. I wish they teach them with the meaning in Bala Vihars.

Solkas give peace of mind and concentration.

Peace Be with you.:coffee

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  3. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Not to hurt anybody's feelings.. nor that I belittle Slokas and related religious things.. but I am simply not interested in teaching them to my kid.

4. Clari

Clari New IL'ite

Hi,
    I couldn't agree more. Slokas are equal to meditating. Give u peace and relaxation. It's really nice to hear that so many of our Indians in CA want to teach slokas to ur children... Why don't you try an online course instead, I know a site who is conducting really good sloka classes for children :)

5. Clari

Clari New IL'ite

@ MSTRUE: hmmm... It's your opinion and I respect it. :)

6. Clari

Clari New IL'ite

Hi again,
    It's really nice to see so many of you intersted in this thread. I was recently googling ofr online sloka classes and came across this website. It was not like the other sites and I even took up the demo classes and found it really interesting and so I thought I should suggest all u ppl who r interested to sign up as well :) :) :)
    Please share your experiences too!:thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2010
  7. thekumars9308

thekumars9308 New IL'ite

Hi,

I would definitely encourage my children to learn slokas. I second Clari, they are like meditation. They carry postive energy while reciting and it's really good if our next generation can keep our traditions alive.

@ Clari, unfortunately the link you provided has been removed but anyways I will google it :)

Sowmya