1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Children of a lesser God???

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sujathaumakanth, Jun 4, 2010.

1. sujathaumakanth

sujathaumakanth Bronze IL'ite

You are so right dear Knots. The first thing that struck me in one of the metro subways in Italy was how would disabled people reach it. I remember Queensland Railways demolishing a perfectly sound railway platform to include support for disabled people and was wondering perhaps the Italian Metro authorities should be learning from these people.

Yes, Australia is one of the few countries that does its best to provide infrastructure to incorporate the needs of the disabled into the society, but however sometimes it is more than this that such people need. The understanding and awareness of reaching out to them makes a lot of difference to their lives and ours as well.

When are you getting back dear??

2. sujathaumakanth

That was a lovely quote dear Pads. Yes, it is true that sometimes out of ignorance we have failed to help people who need our help the most. Respect and dignity - you are so right in pointing out what is lacking in our treatment of the less fortunate. And besides failing to understand such people, I guess it is not their loss, but ours. We lose out on getting to know people who have learned to beat the odds - we are the ones who fail miserably in not understanding them or the challenges that they encounter.

3. sujathaumakanth

Dear OJ-ji :))

A pleasure to have received your feedback !!! Doubly thrilled to know that you have seen the movie as well. Yes, it was indeed a lovely movie that got my grey cells (a few of those that I possess) churning furiously and out sprung this post. But unfortunately reality does not have most of the "happy" endings that the movie possessed - hence my appeal to people to set aside their fears and reach out to people who need our help.

You have pointed out the truth exactly - yep, we Indians do take it as arrogance if our helping hand is rejected. That's the key lesson I learnt - "it is ok if our help is not required in this instance, just make sure the hand is always stretched to help someone at the next incident as well. That person might need it, even more than the first person" :)

Once again thanks for your lovely feedback. It is certainly an enriching experience hearing from you.

Cheers,
    Sujatha

4. sujathaumakanth

Dear Aruna,

My posts are never complete without your lovely feedback :)) Thanks for writing about your own experiences. It helps us to understand people better.

Cheers,
    Sujatha

5. sujathaumakanth

Dear Radhika, thanks for your appreciative comments !!! I am glad that the post is not only well received but also has helped assimilate people's own experiences in their feedbacks.

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sujata,

Wonderful post.Yes i agree with u, we should treat them as normal, but easier said than done really.

Damn good.

regards

kamal

7. suria

suria Silver IL'ite

dear sujatha,

your write up was excellent!! you have written in such a way, that i got the real feel how you felt!! !!

i do even remember my incident at spastic society, when a child so kindly offered us to help us operating the lift..never can forget that in my life..they never never expect sympathy,rather help from others!!

got remembered of tat when i read your write up!!

very well wrtten,message conveyed clearly!:thumbsup an eye opener:thumbsup

thanks for sharing your incidents at various places too!!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  8. parusabari

parusabari Silver IL'ite

Dear Sujata,

A beautiful post.

I have a personal experience to share. My chittappa's son Anand is deaf and dumb. But never has any family member shunned him off or neither any of his friends. He perhaps has got a large no. of friends than me. They all communicate with him via sms.But to reveal to you my heart pains and it pains so much it devoids me of sleep for 2 days when i see him in chat every month and only hear the empty sounds that he tries to make. My children love him very much and communicate to him in sign language and they play throughout the day when we meet him during the vacation.

How i wish God blesses him with the power of hearing and speech........

Parvathi.

9. sujathaumakanth

Thanks Suria, I am glad you are able to identify with the post :)

Have a nice day,
    Sujatha

10. sujathaumakanth

Dear Parvathi,

I am so sorry that my post invoked painful memories in you !!! I can definitely empathise with your pain but I am sure Anand will surmount all the obstacles that's placed in his way and surely beat them. He sounds like an optimistic and well-balanced person and he is quite lucky to have such a supportive and loving family in yours.

Once again, my sincere thanks for sharing your story with me,
    Take care,
    Sujatha