1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Children As Parents Caregivers Or Wife As In-laws Caregiver According To Sanatana Dharma

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by gamma50g, Apr 27, 2024.

1. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

I had posted a while back about whether a married daughter is responsible for caregiving of her parent(s) as well as to care for her in laws in the role of a wife.

Today I was listening to a spiritual discourse where the scholar says that our Vedas and shaatras say that the responsibility of caregiving for parents is not just the son's but the daughter has an equal duty to partake the role as a caregiver to her parent(s).

Just because a daughter is married doesn't mean that the sole responsibility for parents caregiving should fall on the son's shoulders.

At the end of it, it is the agreement that the siblings reach of course, but a daughter cannot simply wash her hands off her parents just because she is married. Similarly the son cannot pawn off his responsibility towards his parents on his wife unless she willingly and lovingly accepts it and does it.

The scholar further elaborated that a son may be a caregiver to his mother and daughter, to her father. The ancient scriptures give freedom of caregiving based on any gender.

However, only the son has the right to perform the last rites for his parents.

Now who decided at what point that it is the "duty" of daughter-in-law to take care of her in-laws? While I agree that if the Dil -ils relationship is good and she wishes to care for them of her own accord, then great. However no one and most definitely not the husband should force a woman to care for his parents. This is bondage and not love.

While I do not proclaim to be a vedic expert, the more I hear talks about our Sanatana Dharma, Vedas and shaatras, the more I am fascinated by how progressive are our ancient texts.

mangaii likes this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@gamma50g,

Sanatana Dharma places the women in a place of reverence because it considers their sacrifices far higher than the householder. Every Dharmic action performed by the householder, 50% of the punya will devolve to wife. Even when a man performs rituals for his forefathers, the benefit will devolve to both spouses. In Sanatana Dharma, the parents are revered whether they are parents of the householder or wife. Even now if we go to the Gurus, the first thing they would say is to get the blessings of the mother. Householder can’t perform holy events without the presence of his wife. When he performs the holy events, the wife is asked to touch the husband with Darbha consenting to the holy event. While the husband is duty bound to share everything with wife, the wife is expected to participate in all the householder’s duties and responsibilities. Frankly, the mantras we perform during the wedding include this Sankalpa.

mangaii and gamma50g like this.
  3. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Taking care of aged parents, in the guise of Sanatan Dharma, is rather forcing children into religious obligation. It has to come from their heart. Sometimes, because of practical reasons, they may not be in a position to do it and if finances permit will be placed in old age homes or even geriatric homes and there is nothing wrong with that.

4. Viswamitra

Dear Hari Sir,

Sanatana Dharma itself is a suggested path for right-living. It doesn’t ask anyone to comply with it forcibly. The individual will have to choose it if appropriate. When we read Bhagavad Gita, Bhagavan Krishna is providing advice and counsel asking Arjuna to make the decision. Dharma is not an order but a suggestion.

HariLakhera, mangaii and gamma50g like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have to agree with the idea that it has to come from the heart. Taking care of parents should be a privilege, not a duty. If it is a duty, then many other factors come into play, such as, were the son and daughter brought up equally, will they receive equal shares of inheritance, does any child have any innate challenges.

The adult children or their spouses shouldn't be forced, required, or expected to take care of aged parents. And, adults can say no if they feel forced. There are adults who contribute less or nothing to the care of their aged parents or in-laws, and they live with that decision, the guilt, the criticism from relatives, and strained relations with siblings. It's a choice, unpleasant as it may be, it still is a choice.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
    mangaii and gamma50g like this.
  6. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

100% true Sir. The younger generation has always thought that even though we do worship Goddesses in the form of Shakti, the role of a woman has always been anything but idolized in real life. However even skimming the top of the sacred scriptures is eye opening!

Viswamitra and mangaii like this.
  7. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

Hari Sir

No one should force anyone to do anything. If kids want to take care of their parents or should come from their heart and the scriptures like @Viswamitra sir rightly said is only a guide. Every human being is given viveka by Him which indeed makes us so unique. We are the only species capable of making informed decisions. We know what scriptures say but the rest is up to us, making a decision using our buddhis and viveka.

Viswamitra and mangaii like this.
  8. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Don't restrict the choices you have in life listening to interpretation of anyone .
    Do what makes you happy. Sanatana Dharama is open for interpretation.
    Using them as reference is ok but making them as guideline to convince yourself to live certain way is not healthy .

gamma50g, Viswamitra and Rihana like this.
  9. Viswamitra

I agree with you but unfortunately, it is optional for both men and women and I humbly feel men created patriarchal society using the optional card to create the society that helped men which is what we are trying to undo now.

gamma50g likes this.
  10. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

I have to agree with @Viswamitra sir here that we live in a patriarchal society today because due to some reason the Vedas and shaatras are not disseminated knowledge. If we were empowered with this knowledge as kids, a woman will get the power, respect, appreciation, gratitude and everything else she deserves. We will all be living a much enriched life overall.

Viswamitra likes this.