1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Child Travelling Alone - India To Usa

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by OneLifeToLive, Apr 8, 2018.

1. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive New IL'ite

Has anyone sent their child alone from India to the US?

My son is keen to travel alone in the summer from Bengaluru to LAX all by himself ( with airline assistance) .

Is it advisable ?
    Has anyone here done it before?

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

What is your son's age?

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Under 16 years old, I wouldn't send child on an international flight or even domestic with one or more stopover and change of plane. If direct flight, maybe yes.

In the flight itself, the boarding and getting off, even getting to the next flight, child can manage with the help airline provides. The problem comes if there is any unexpected change of plan, such as first flight getting delayed. At such times, the help provided by the airlines can get dicey. My friend's kid (U.S. domestic flight) had such a situation. Other passengers got hotel vouchers, but airline wouldn't let kid stay alone in a hotel, so kid spent the 14 hours in airport. They at least let the kid sit (and sleep on the floor) inside the airline's office, and not the general waiting area.

Kid will also not know how to go and talk firmly with airline staff about the best connection with least wait time, and options like a different airline.

Maybe find another family traveling that route and willing to help kid.

4. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive New IL'ite

Thank you Malstrom and Rihana .

Hubby and I decided about an hour ago to not let him travel alone this time. Maybe when he is older. He is 14 now .
    I am travelling in mid -June with both my kids but he wanted to return early to attend a summer program early July.

Nylaa and Sandycandy like this.
  5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

I was allowed to travel alone starting age 15 and this was ages ago . Kids are a lot smarter these days . But as a parent if you are not comfortable don’t do it.

OneLifeToLive, shravs3 and Nylaa like this.
  6. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Let him travel, but pls try to book tickets only with one transit. Preferably Dubai/abudhabi / quatar not Frankfurt , London or hongkong.
    Many a times I got dealayed in Frankfurt and amesterdam.

OneLifeToLive likes this.
  7. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

Missed flights can happen anywhere.Our flight from India was late and a group of 20 people (inc us )were left behind on Abu Dhabi airport (worst flight ever ,hope it doesn't happen again).We had to spend 24 hours on the airport ,couldn't even get an emergency visa . In short ,situations like this can arise via any route be it middle east or Europe.Interestingly,there were 2 teen girls in our group who were traveling together.They both got a hotel (US citizens so could step out of the airport ) and got into the flight next day. My 2 cents - if he is too keen ,maybe he can travel with a friend or someone with the same destination.

OneLifeToLive likes this.
  8. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive New IL'ite

Thanks, Deborah! We have decided to not let him travel alone this time . Maybe later.

Deborah likes this.
  9. stephanjohn

stephanjohn Senior IL'ite

10. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

We sent our kid alone when he was 7, with one transit in between. He traveled with a family friend, but we booked much later than them and he had to go as an unaccompanied minor (during transit, had to stay in the area designated for unaccompanied minors and the elderly).

He managed much better than we imagined. The transit was for 2 hours; he slept in the waiting area and awoke promptly when the staff told him it was time to go. In the second leg, he sat next to a stranger and made friends with him. After some days, he told us that he got nauseous on the flight but knew where the air sickness bag was so he threw up inside that in time! No one has told him where it is and we don't know how he found out:)

It has given him a great deal of confidence. However, I would be comfortable to do this only with certain airlines and transit locations.

BhumiBabe likes this.