Chennai various Shopping

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by vimalasri, Aug 14, 2008.

1. vimalasri

vimalasri New IL'ite

Hello ladies,

Many thanks for all your supportive replies on my other posts. I have another question here on shopping in Chennai. Hope to get some good tips from all.

1. Where is the best place to purchase Non- Stick Pan items and other cooking utensils ? I am planning to get some good set of non-sticks for my mom back home.

2. Which is the best place to get art pics and home decors ?

3. Can someone suggest me a good place to get a big frame of Venkateshwara swamy pic which is stone studded ? I came across last year near Vadapalani ( is that the right place Im mentioning ? There's one Murugan temple & Saravana Bhavan hotel is near the temple. ) I saw some in Saravana stores but there wasnt much varieties and it was costly too.

4. Where is the right place to get good silver metti and silver kolusu / pattilu ( anklets ) ?

Thanks all !!

2. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi vimala,

1. Before answering for the first query i would like to suggest something. Try to avoid cooking in non-stick pans. Even in IL we have discussed a lot about the ill effects due to non-stick cook wares. Anyways to help you i would suggest you to check Rathna stores(T.Nagar, P.Bazaar,Purasaiwalkam) for any kind of kitchen appliances and cookwares. They have good stainless steel and good brands. In saravana stores you can get cheaply but i'm not satisfied with the qlty. other than this there is a shop called Ponni stores very next to rathna stores in Pondibazaar that is to a worthy place for shopping though small in size.

2. For the second query i'm no good, but i would like to suggest you shops like the one find in Pondi bazaar and also check JFA (Chikkanam furniture).

3. For frames and pictures of deities mylapore is the best place. You have too many options near the kabaleeshwarar temple. Also can check in some jwellery shops like GRT if you want something costly.

4. For silver jwellery i would always suggest GRT jwellery shop. They have a separate shop for silver and thousands of collections. For years and years we are getting from them. Also Sukra jwellers in mylapore is good in silver jwellery.

3. smilyface

smilyface New IL'ite

For home decor
    Try Poompuhar and VTI on Anna Salai. There are some privately owned emporiums in the same area, carry good but expensive products.
    Also in Adyar near Grand Sweets, there is Sunrise Gallery

Kitchen utensils
    try Ratna stores in T.Nagar or Saravana stores in Ranganathan street. I prefer Ratna stores

Silver Metti and Kolusu
    Thanga Maligai in T.Nagar or Sukra in Mylapore (near tank). If you visit Thanga Maligai, Ratna stores is close by

Venkteswara picture
    Are you referring to Tanjore style painting ? that will definitely be expensive. Near Mylpore Tank, there is a picture frame store and a Tanjore paining store.

Hope this helps

4. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Hi vimala

Both of them have guided you properly regarding your Nonstick purchase ( Ideal place is RATHNA STORES ) and Venkatachalapathy picture( yeah, you get in all jewellery shops also )

For HOME DECOR - try in COTTAGE EMPORIUM, Temple Towers, Nandanam, here, you can get some exclusive varities and also shops around Kapalesshwarar temple , mylapore

silver metti and kolusu, you get everywhere, all jewellery shops have their own silver section - but SUKRA jewellery, Mylapore will be having varities

5. vimalasri

vimalasri New IL'ite

Many thanks Chinduja , Induslog and Lata. I have noted down all the points and thanks for sharing the info on non stick pans ! Very helpful info !

cheers