Chari Mubarak and the Amarnath Yatra

Discussion in 'Delhi & NCR' started by sushmasrivastav, Feb 22, 2009.

1. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends!
    Shiv Ratri is near. I was intrigued about tale of Chari Mubarak and the Amarnath Yatra. Here is what I found out.
    The Amarnath Yatra begins with the ceremony of “Chari Mubarak” which is also called the holy mace at Dashnami temple, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Srinagar</st1:place></st1:City>. It is said that Lord Shiva handed over chari to Rishi Kashyap and also ordained that the <st1:place w:st="on">Chari</st1:place> Mubarak be carried to the Amarnath shrine every year. To this day, the <st1:place w:st="on">Chari</st1:place> Mubarak is carried to the Amarnath shrine by the mahant of Dashnami Akhara. This marks the beginning and end of the pilgrimage each year. Pilgrims usually reach the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Amarnath</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Cave</st1:placeType></st1:place> via Pahalgam or through Baltal. The Shiva Linga which symbolizes Lord Shiva forms naturally of ice stalagmite every year. The Amarnath Yatra usually begins in early July and closes in August.
    I would like to hear your travel stories about Amarnath Yatra. Some of you may even have visited the shrine. We would all like to hear about it.

2. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

hi sushma

great piece of information.......HAR HAR MAHADEV..OM NAMAH SHIVAY...

LordShiva%20(7).jpg

Rgds

Roopa

3. raji_siv

raji_siv Bronze IL'ite

hi roopa,

nice picture during shivarathri. good work.

4. hritu

hritu New IL'ite

Hi Shushma, got a great piece of information from you. But I Hope that adding some more to it will really keep us alive with the richness of our cultures and traditions. Bhakts who walk around the 32-mile circumference of Mount Kailash use the term parikrama. I myself did not know this. But I thought it would be vital to share it with all. They believe that lord Shiva, one of the three main gods, resides atop what is called Mount Meru. The parikrama and the kora called by tibetans mean the same thing pilgrimage. Doing a walk around the mountain can take away a lifetimes worth of sins. It would be really appreciable if someone share their mann ki shanti aur bhavnae after visiting here. It will be warmly welcomed.