1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Changing Customs and Traditions

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by padmininatarajan, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Deaf woman

Deaf woman Senior IL'ite

Padmini,
    Its true about changing traditions and customs what with readily available sweets and prasadams luring us.But in my home i try to prepare them at home and my DH will take care of the alankarams to the deity and the other puja preparations.This sharing of work, at least on festival days, make it more enjoyable for me
    vijji

2. anandivaradan18

anandivaradan18 New IL'ite

Hi Padmini,

It is right said that the scenerio in the houses are changing during our festivals . Customs and traditions are being changed according to our people's comfort and ease.
    My husband also is very much particular about the naivedyam to be made at home. He used to plan a lot a day before the festival with all the flowers, fruits and food stuff required to prepare them. Sincerely, he used to help me a lot for making bakshanam in fact he does the major work and I used to help him as assistant. NOTE:he used to help his mother a lot itseems. Even today , he never fails to do the pooja , but we have decided to reduce the number of items as even our children dont like to eat them for more than 2 days. So the quantity is reduced and with the same zeal and enthusiasm , we celebrate it with eza kolam (wet rice flour) and limited bakshanams. For deepavali, we buy from adyar ananda bhavan and grand snacks. As deepavali is celebrated as festival of joy and enjoyment with sweets , new clothes and crackers.
    Ofcourse, today life has become very fast and daily cooking seems to be difficult in some families and they have caterers for b/f, lunch and dinner. Kalathin Kattayam . I dont think God will mind all these, he is SO SWEET. He expects from us only a pure heart in which he wants to sit.

In another decade , I cant imagine how will our society be regarding customs and traditions. Whatever , we welcome it as far it doesnt affect anyone.

regards,
    anandi:)

3. padmininatarajan

padmininatarajan New IL'ite

Hi Vijji

Lucky you that your DH does all the alangaram.

Work shared is work halved truly.

And above all "festival days, make it more enjoyable for me''...that is the clue. Sheer enjoyment si the answer to any thing that we do.

God bless you.

PN

4. padmininatarajan

Anandi Thanks for your lovely letter.

Yes we have reduced all the items, quantity etc but we maintain the quality, don't we?

Just a payasam or as my husband says even a glass of boiled milk kept along with mahaneiyvedyam of cooked rice, dhal and ghee is parama neiyvedyam.

The pure and well meaning heart is crucial too.

Regards

PN

5. anandivaradan18

anandivaradan18 New IL'ite

dear padmini,

quality should always be maintained which is the sign of prosperity and flourishment in life. To our dear God, we must offer the superior quality as a gratitude towards him. nice sharing with you this interesting topic.

regards,
    anandi

6. ankitkaran

ankitkaran Bronze IL'ite

I am glad that we still celebrate our festivals with pomp and you still perform the rituals and cook food at home.

Even I do cook sweets and bake cake for Christmas instead of ordering from the shops. I am glad that God has instilled me with the cooking skills so that all my near and dear ones can enjoy the sweets.

I wish you all Happy festive in advance.

Kiran

7. padmininatarajan

Kiran

Thanks for your comments and wishes!

God bless you.

PN