1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Change In Deceased Parent's Siblings' Behavior

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by gamma50g, Feb 3, 2017.

1. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

I wanted to know how has your relationship been with your relatives after the passing of either of your parent - specifically the deceased parent's sibling(s)?

My mom passed away recently and I am seeing and experiencing a drastic change in the behavior of my mom's siblings towards me and my family (father & brother), not in a good way and maternal relationships are on the verge of breaking as a result.

Did anyone experience this kind of behavior from their extended family after a parent passed away?

2. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

This happens.Even among siblings the relationship detriorates if the parents are no more.Try to focus on your life and keep a distance from them.Call them on special occassions to wish them and try to be the same you were when your mom was around.

Thyagarajan, anika987 and gamma50g like this.
  3. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

Sadly, It is happening with us as well. After a few months of mom's passing, her siblings started visiting us more often with the direct intention of talking about mom's and our inheritance in ancestral property. My elder sis and dad are too polite to say anything but I lost my small brain's very small capacity to tolerate non sense and shooed them away by using my direct words. Dad and sis never appreciated that but I did not care. These are the same folks who managed to keep my mom away from family gatherings and used to taunt her because she was a working woman, had a happy loving marriage and raised us well and educated us beyond anybody's expectations in the family.

Please do not get disheartened honey. Times like this only show you who is worth keeping in life and who needs to get your goodbyes. We all have some roles to play in each other's lives. When that role is over, the karma is done. Do not overthink if the relationships are not strong enough to hold onto especially when we loose the most important people in our lives.

Let them go and let your heart heal with time.

xoxo,
    blessings1010

Thyagarajan and gamma50g like this.