Chance of Esophageal atresia

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by glchn, Apr 13, 2010.

1. glchn

glchn New IL'ite

Hi,

I am in my 6th month of pregnancy and I have a major problem now.

I had my anomaly scan last week and the stomach bubble of my baby is not seen. I repeated the anomaly scan in 5 separate places and 5 seperate days and the stomach bubble is still not seen.My amniotic fluid level is also on the higher side. Since the stomach bubble is not seen, the doctors have diagnosed a high possibility of esophageal atresia (along with TEF) in the baby. The doctors are saying that since there is a block in the esophagus, the amniotic fluid level is on the higher side.

We are going mad here trying to decide a future course of action. We are doing an Amniocentesis tomorrow to find if there are any chromosomal problems.

In case someone has gone through such an experience, or if someone knows a doctor who handles such complex pregnancies, do let me know. I am based in Chennai.

Thanks,
    GL

2. gundaragini

gundaragini New IL'ite

hello, my nephew was born with EA, need any info?

3. kgrouws

kgrouws New IL'ite

My son was born with Esophageal atresia 3 and a half years ago. We panicked at first and went through all the emotions. It has been a rough start and many surgeries and stays in the hospital. I am happy to report that he is a normal 3 three year old and we havne't had any complications in the last year. It's a change of mindset for awhile but it is all doable.

4. gundaragini

gundaragini New IL'ite

Thank you so much for posting,

Nice to hear that your son is doing good, as we are getting through a very rare situation, it relieves us from worries when we hear the progress of kids with same situation. My nephew was born with a long gap EA/TEF and he is 11 months old and his esophagus is not yet connected.

5. Kootagirl

Kootagirl Silver IL'ite

Hi GL,

Did u had amnio? How is ur baby now?Plz update...