Celebrate The Last Issue

Discussion in 'Online Games & Puzzles' started by Thyagarajan, May 20, 2024.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

upload_2024-5-20_11-18-23.jpeg

This video released on 30th April 2024
    In U.K. AFTER THEIR LAST ISSUE OF MAY, ‘24.
    Could u guess details? ​

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Is it regarding the last issue of the Readers digest ? Madam Jayasala had posted about the same last week. It was one of the magazines i used to read avidly . One of the best entertaining as well as all round satisfying magazines to read. But over the years, its quality had declined . Pages had become less and the story section was also not that effective, so my reading also fizzled out some 2 years ago. However, sorry to see its send. On the whole, the reading habit is itself on the decline even among the younger crowd, due to a overload of information and media coverage etc. But , personally nothing gives as much as pleasure as getting into a quiet place to read one's favourite books!

radv and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

You are on dot. I agree this information was already posted by madam sister @jayasala42 .
    But in her post i was trying to post the link for the above video but there was an error. Some other irrelevant video got posted. My repeated attempts to correct it there went in vain.

I posted it here in puzzle because of the novel way the closure was presented which i deem was awesome.

The book and its editor or founder or owner laid to rest forever within the pages of digest.

I was always in the habit of possessing reader’s digest of past issues and looking for it from platform vendors on the way to marina beach near Presidency college at triplicane chennai. For long i had huge collections of previous issues from year 1940s onwards. I read avidly almost all pages including the ads and article fillers. College rags and humour in uniform and biographical and real drama in life all were too good. Life is like that and word power were all educative and informative. I do remeber very many jokes appeared in RD. “I am JOHN’S heart” & “ i AM JANE’S breast” were unforgettable read . This human body organs talking was presented in a serial manner for several months.
    In my later years, i remember to have gifted subscription to this magazine in favour of one of my bosom friends who was voracious reader and lover of english language. I got as a token of appreciation gift from RD.
    During Emergency, ON THE WAY TO BALLARD ESTATE office in then Bombay, I was propelled into their office as a raid party was in search of TOI reporter/journalist .
    He put it AS AN INSERTION in classified section of TOI UNIQUE that was criticising in subtle manner the declaration of emergency.

upload_2024-5-20_21-1-25.jpeg

Quotable quotes wasanother wonderful section. In 1960s issue of RD, i read this Quote:
    PEOPLE KICK THE HANDS THAT FEEDS THEM
    & LICK THE FEET THAT KICKS THEM.

Last edited: May 20, 2024
    joylokhi and radv like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

@thank you @radv . I just re edited the post since you clicked the like here.
    Regards.
    God Bless

radv likes this.
  5. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

My father introduced me to RD in my school days. Nowadays it is available online also. So I keep reading it on and off.

Thyagarajan likes this.