1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

CBP Declaration at POE - Customs Duty?

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by happykrish2009, Jul 24, 2009.

1. happykrish2009

happykrish2009 New IL'ite

My spouse is entering the US on a H4. At the PoE it is required to submit the Customs declaration form to the CBP.
    As per the CBP website it says that visitors(non residents/citizens) need to declare approx. value of ALL commercial and personal items and that typically on the first $100 custom duty is exempt.
    Any experiences on this ? My spouse would have regular clothes and stuff in her baggage and also few(regular) personal jewellery items on herself or in the handbag.
    Would she be required to pay customs duty. How is it calculated. Any experiences.
    Thanks

2. CynMas

CynMas New IL'ite

Hi happykrish09

The Customs declaration form will be collected by the Customs officer after you clear immigration at PoE. (If I remember clearly, the CBP officer will put a stamp on the form while you are clearing immigration).

Also, considering your spouse is coming in with clothes & personal items (even with jewelery in her hand bag) she only needs to put an amount under $100 on the form. I put in $50 on the form and traveled with the same items as your spouse will be carrying and cleared smoothly (I'm on H4 too).

At customs point, you hand in the form and they ask you random stuff (probably to ensure your answers match what is mentioned on the form such as - countries traveled to immediately before this trip? items in your suitcases? etc., etc.)

Hope this helps!

cynmas

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  3. happykrish2009

happykrish2009 New IL'ite