careers in Bioinformatics

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by ananda, Dec 12, 2006.

1. ananda

ananda New IL'ite

Hi friends
    I'm a post graduate in biochemistry & currently doing Bioinformatics.I'm really worrying alot abt my career bcos I'm not getting the right jobs.
    Anybody relating 2 this field pls help me
    Thanks

2. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Hi Ananda,

Bioinformatics with biochemistry background is a good choice. If you have the inclination, try to pursue higher studies abroad - bioinformatics courses over here are just an introduction to the field and there is lot more to learn. Once you get into a job, you lose this opportunity and your career growth can get stunted as more qualified people will compete with you. You could consider doing the job as a stop-gap - to save money and to prepare for further studies.

There are quite a few companies into this field - I will list some of these here (as I am Bangalore based, I am giving you those names primarily). Check the websites for these companies and start applying. If you are still in your course, request for training in these companies - if you do well, you have of good chance of placement.

Strand Life Sciences
    Astra Zeneca
    Biocon
    Jubilant Biosciences (they are expanding big way - try here seriously)
    Avestagen
    Gangagen

All the best - no need to worry as you are qualified well in an upcoming field.

Cheers,

Sumathy

3. ananda

ananda New IL'ite

Hi sumathy
    Thank u so much for ur valuable information.
    I already send my resume to some of the companies u mentioned but I'm not getting any response.I don't know where the things going wrong.One important thing is I'm from Chennai.Here I don't find any oppertunities in this field compare to Bangalore.
    If I get a chance in Bangalore we can move from here to there but the thing is how to get a chance?
    If ur from this field n ur working in the same field pl.....................s help me.
    Simultaneously I'm also searching for a good oppertunity in software testing.
    If u know any thing abt software testing pls suggest me.I already faced an interview in software testing.But I did it up to HR round.Really I'm feeling very depressed B'cos I don't want to waste my time sitting idle at home I want to earn n I want to lead an independent life.
    waiting for ur reply.
    Thank you

4. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Hi Ananda,

I would suggest that you come to bangalore and stay for say, a month. Personally go to these companies and ask for a meeting. Also, there is Bangalore Bio 2007 coming up in June 2007. Plan to be there and visit the stalls - all companies in biotech/informatics field will have stalls there. I am sure you have posted your resume in sites like Naukri. Even big IT companies like Infosys, Wipro, TCS have bioinformatics wings for which they are recruiting big - you can apply there also. Bangalore bio exhibition is a good opportunity for you.

All the best,

Sumathy