1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Take the 100 Days Positivity Challenge : Join Here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

careers in Bioinformatics

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by ananda, Dec 12, 2006.

1. ananda

ananda New IL'ite

Hi friends
    I'm a post graduate in biochemistry & currently doing Bioinformatics.I'm really worrying alot abt my career bcos I'm not getting the right jobs.
    Anybody relating 2 this field pls help me
    Thanks

2. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Hi Ananda,

Bioinformatics with biochemistry background is a good choice. If you have the inclination, try to pursue higher studies abroad - bioinformatics courses over here are just an introduction to the field and there is lot more to learn. Once you get into a job, you lose this opportunity and your career growth can get stunted as more qualified people will compete with you. You could consider doing the job as a stop-gap - to save money and to prepare for further studies.

There are quite a few companies into this field - I will list some of these here (as I am Bangalore based, I am giving you those names primarily). Check the websites for these companies and start applying. If you are still in your course, request for training in these companies - if you do well, you have of good chance of placement.

Strand Life Sciences
    Astra Zeneca
    Biocon
    Jubilant Biosciences (they are expanding big way - try here seriously)
    Avestagen
    Gangagen

All the best - no need to worry as you are qualified well in an upcoming field.

Cheers,

Sumathy

3. ananda

ananda New IL'ite

Hi sumathy
    Thank u so much for ur valuable information.
    I already send my resume to some of the companies u mentioned but I'm not getting any response.I don't know where the things going wrong.One important thing is I'm from Chennai.Here I don't find any oppertunities in this field compare to Bangalore.
    If I get a chance in Bangalore we can move from here to there but the thing is how to get a chance?
    If ur from this field n ur working in the same field pl.....................s help me.
    Simultaneously I'm also searching for a good oppertunity in software testing.
    If u know any thing abt software testing pls suggest me.I already faced an interview in software testing.But I did it up to HR round.Really I'm feeling very depressed B'cos I don't want to waste my time sitting idle at home I want to earn n I want to lead an independent life.
    waiting for ur reply.
    Thank you

4. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Hi Ananda,

I would suggest that you come to bangalore and stay for say, a month. Personally go to these companies and ask for a meeting. Also, there is Bangalore Bio 2007 coming up in June 2007. Plan to be there and visit the stalls - all companies in biotech/informatics field will have stalls there. I am sure you have posted your resume in sites like Naukri. Even big IT companies like Infosys, Wipro, TCS have bioinformatics wings for which they are recruiting big - you can apply there also. Bangalore bio exhibition is a good opportunity for you.

All the best,

Sumathy